• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So, Idlewild is down to 3rd

Top ten reasons to rate courses low

• Total voters
^^^^Takes all kind of courses to make the world go round. I, personally, would not give a course a 4 or above if it did not have very challenging gold level tees. I have not been to Idle yet; but have personally been wondering if I will give it less than most; due to lack of footage. (Will find out some time this summer). The two of you have perhaps upped my expectations there.
this is exactly why reviews are subjective. We all bring our expectations and personal biases to the process. You state you wouldn't give a high score if there were no gold tees. I on the other hand never play gold tees and the lack of them would never affect my rating. i don't say that either of us is wrong or right it's just our opinion and we don't like all the same things at a course. We are writing for a different audience in all likelyhood

We drove 5 hours, spent the weekend and two nights hotel and food. We expected to play a top 10 course. Didn't get it. I love disc golf. Obviously, I have played 110 courses and can't stop. I plan my work trips and family vacations around where I can play discgolf. The wife has accused me of cheating on her with "Valkyrie" and thinks Hyzer is my boss's name. Idlewild needs to ease back, open up some fairways and not be such a "pro's course" because most of us are not pros's and just want to have fun playing a great game.
But you played Mt. Airy and Lincoln Ridge and had a good time, right? It's not like you drove five hours for nothing.

And to the other guy's point about being behind on course design. I would agree if we are talking about 10-20 years ago. But there are new courses popping up in Oregon pretty quickly. You also have to look at terrain. The midwest is very flat. On the west coast, you can't put a disc golf course just anywhere. But I like this about the west coast. Yes, it's a longer drive to courses, but it also means very beautiful scenery compared to the midwest. I'm an Iowan who moved to Oregon a few years back. I'll live here until I die. The scenery on a course is always a big plus for me. And the midwest just doesn't have any compared to Oregon.

Horning's Hideout, is a newer 54 hole course (split up into 3 18-hole courses). The Meadow Ridge course, a gold course, would probably be at #1 if there were more Oregonians who knew about this forum.

That's another thing about the top 10 list. It's all about how many people even know about this site and where those people live...

I alluded to all of this briefly in my post. West has the most untapped potential of anywhere; also, the northeast...but, until fairly recently, these were relatively desolate for our sport. So, I understand what you're saying.... Some old fellows like myself may down grade the mountainous terrain; due to our age; and the fact that not only are some of your courses very hilly; but require a big walk in, simply to get to first tee. Darned tree hugging hippys (again, I jest; I am/was a tree hugging hippy myself).

All of midwest not flat...see High Bridge, Wis. All of the area around the Mississippi River is nice terrain as well.

Because those Channahon courses have reviews that I feel are accurate. And I am not a blogger, I dont have the desire to review every course I play. 5 star expectations of Idlewild were not met.
So it's a "1" becasue it did not meet your expectations? Sounds more like a punishment than a rating.

It's obvious that the course is well above a 1 rating. On the other hand, it's obvious that it's overrated on the list when it's at #3 in the country. So maybe the one star is justified to bring it down to reality.

Because let's be real, the reason it's probably even listed at the top of the list is because homers like peabody and his Kentucky buddies are all trying to push it to the top by creating several DGCR accounts and giving it a 5 rating. Otherwise, would he even care that it moved down to #3? Sounds like someone who has put extra effort in trying to push it to the top. Because I mean, how many disc golfers are there in Kentucky?? LOL jk

Oregon gets a HUGE and dedicated disc golf following, I think, and you don't see their courses with 70+ reviews. A Kentucky course has twice as many reviews as one of the top Oregon courses???

Is Kentucky a tourist destination? I'd like to know how many out of towners are included in the review of this course. So I actually put more credit into reviews that are done by people who are from out of town because there's less bias. And it eliminates the Peabody factor.

Just a thought...

Shouldn't you wait untill you actually play a course before you find it "obviously overrated"? Strong opinions from one who hasn't even rated a single course.:\ Did you even bother to check where many of the reviewers(Idelwild) are from? If you had, you would have seen that there is a diverse mix of players from all over. I can't honestly offer an opinion of Idlewild yet because I haven't played it. I plan on it though and I seriously hope that it knocks the pi$$ out of me.

Idlewild needs to ease back, open up some fairways and not be such a "pro's course" because most of us are not pros's and just want to have fun playing a great game.
You might want to check into the skill level of the high rated courses before visiting if fun is what you seek. Idlewild is one of the few gold level courses in the top ten. It would lose quality as a great gold level course if they did what you suggest. For comparison, you might want to check out the gold course at Lemon Lake near you. However, I think you might like the blue level Blue Heron, Red Hawk and even White courses on that same site instead of the Gold.

It's not necessarily your fault you didn't know the Idlewild challenge might be out of your wheelhouse and might not be fun since the course skill level isn't directly identified for the courses yet. I'm a blue level player and only seek out gold level courses to try them once and see what they did from a design standpoint but I might never play them again unless it has a set of Blue or White level tees also because many holes aren't in my wheelhouse... on purpose.

I alluded to all of this briefly in my post. West has the most untapped potential of anywhere; also, the northeast...but, until fairly recently, these were relatively desolate for our sport. So, I understand what you're saying.... Some old fellows like myself may down grade the mountainous terrain; due to our age; and the fact that not only are some of your courses very hilly; but require a big walk in, simply to get to first tee. Darned tree hugging hippys (again, I jest; I am/was a tree hugging hippy myself).

All of midwest not flat...see High Bridge, Wis. All of the area around the Mississippi River is nice terrain as well.

I know, I was born and raised in Iowa. I meant flat compared to the Northwest. I love the midwest courses that I've played. And I appreciate and respect the courses that have been around the longest.

Maybe I'm wrong but Kentucky isn't a popular tourist destination and there probably aren't too many making a trip to Kentucky just for disc golf. So 70+ reviews on that course?? A little sketchy...
You should cut it out with the ignorant regional bias and perhaps do some homework.

Idlewild has been marked as played by 290 people. Pier Park has 223.

Burlington, KY is less than 20 miles from Cincinnati, OH. A large city. I think they even have an NFL team there. Its easily accessible from Indianapolis, IN and Nashville, TN. Both of which have NFL teams as well I believe. What's the Portland NFL's team's mascot? I forget.

By far the largest PDGA sanctioned event in the country is held in...guess where...Kentucky.
http://www.pdga.com/tournament-results?TournID=9731

There are 425 DGCR members within 200 miles of Idlewild. Only 189 within
200 miles of Pier Park in Oregon.

And while I'm sure there's great DG both places, I'd just as soon pick Kentucky over Oregon. Probably just because its closer and I can pump my own gas there.

Can't figure out why so many people think a top rated course in their own backyard achieved that status legitimately, but think one in some other part of the country they've never been to got it through some nefarious means, and base their observation on nothing more than some trite and subjective "our s*** don't stink here" nonsense.

So it's a "1" becasue it did not meet your expectations? Sounds more like a punishment than a rating.

YES. For being in the top 10 and not deserving it. I have seen way too many "too many trees" or "too hard" reasons for dive bombing a course rating. This websites rating system isn't perfect because sometimes opinions are emotional. Mainly because we humans take our opinions seriously, I just assumed that none of the courses in the top ten were worthy of a 1 disc rating. That I assumed WAS a fact. But if I drive 900 miles to idlewild and think it's a 1 then I would be pretty pissed at the course and all of the trusted reviewers that pumped it up.

Shouldn't you wait untill you actually play a course before you find it "obviously overrated"? Strong opinions from one who hasn't even rated a single course.:\ Did you even bother to check where many of the reviewers(Idelwild) are from? If you had, you would have seen that there is a diverse mix of players from all over. I can't honestly offer an opinion of Idlewild yet because I haven't played it. I plan on it though and I seriously hope that it knocks the pi$$ out of me.

most of the reviewers either don't show where they are from or are from around that area. "obviously overrated" just meant that the homer factor is obviously included in the list of top courses. because the number of reviews plays a big part and also how many people know about this site and where they come from. sorry you misunderstood me.

I have three buddies that have played both Idle and Filp. They can't decide which one is better. They say both have some really kicka$$ holes and the scenery of both are fantastic. I am sure the other top 10 courses are just as picturesque and awesome.
Sorry some of you dumbasses took it that I was pissed off because I am in Ky and surely I must be mad that my 'home' course got dissed. I have never been East of Louisville on a DG outing. Right now my favorite courses are in Tn.
I am going to make it to Idle and Boone one of these days and when I do play, I will be objective and true and honest in my review. Too bad not everyone is.

this is exactly why reviews are subjective. We all bring our expectations and personal biases to the process. You state you wouldn't give a high score if there were no gold tees. I on the other hand never play gold tees and the lack of them would never affect my rating. i don't say that either of us is wrong or right it's just our opinion and we don't like all the same things at a course. We are writing for a different audience in all likelyhood

Chuck also mentioned something similar. I am a blue level player as well; and an aging one. However, as a reviewer; I feel responsibility for giving reviews/ratings for all level of players; which would certainly include gold/pro level. I also would not give a 4 or above to a course that did not have tees for very new players....

most of the reviewers either don't show where they are from or are from around that area. "obviously overrated" just meant that the homer factor is obviously included in the list of top courses. because the number of reviews plays a big part and also how many people know about this site and where they come from. sorry you misunderstood me.

Yes, all of the top 10 have homer reviews. We used to witness homer review wars. 1 would pop up and then another. View trusted reviewers only might be the way to go if you are using this site for planning a multiple day road trip. Even this would have not helped these 2. Just too hard.:(

You should cut it out with the ignorant regional bias and perhaps do some homework.

Idlewild has been marked as played by 290 people. Pier Park has 223.

Burlington, KY is less than 20 miles from Cincinnati, OH. A large city. I think they even have an NFL team there. Its easily accessible from Indianapolis, IN and Nashville, TN. Both of which have NFL teams as well I believe. What's the Portland NFL's team's mascot? I forget.

By far the largest PDGA sanctioned event in the country is held in...guess where...Kentucky.
http://www.pdga.com/tournament-results?TournID=9731

There are 425 DGCR members within 200 miles of Idlewild. Only 189 within
200 miles of Pier Park in Oregon.

And while I'm sure there's great DG both places, I'd just as soon pick Kentucky over Oregon. Probably just because its closer and I can pump my own gas there.

Can't figure out why so many people think a top rated course in their own backyard achieved that status legitimately, but think one in some other part of the country they've never been to got it through some nefarious means, and base their observation on nothing more than some trite and subjective "our s*** don't stink here" nonsense.

how AND who determines the stats "marked as played'? That stat isn't reliable at all.

I didn't know that a city needs a NFL team to be considered a hot spot DG destination. You shocked me with that one. I never knew. But just to inform you on football...ever heard of the Seattle Seahawks?

How far is Nashville and Indianapolis to that course? now your radar is extending itself.

Yes, I know, Oregon is way up in the NW so it's a trip to get up here, especially for those with a light wallet. So I don't expect the masses to travel to the NW for disc golf.

"There are 425 DGCR members within 200 miles of Idlewild. Only 189 within 200 miles of Pier Park in Oregon." This was exactly my point!!!! lol comical.

"By far the largest PDGA sanctioned event in the country is held in...guess where...Kentucky." So does this make Kentucky a big tourist destination? I just said that I never hear about people taking a vacation to Kentucky. That's it. PLUS, is this major PDGA sanctioned event played at Idlewild, the course we are talking about?

most of the reviewers either don't show where they are from or are from around that area. "obviously overrated" just meant that the homer factor is obviously included in the list of top courses.
I'm sure there's a little homer factor in every course on that list, including the ones in Oregon. Some who've never been to Oregon might wonder how a state with 2.3% of the U.S. course count commands 20% of the space on that list. (At one time I believe it was 30%).

But you played Mt. Airy and Lincoln Ridge and had a good time, right? It's not like you drove five hours for nothing.

Correct you are good man. We played 11 courses in Indy and Cincy, mostly in the rain, and still had a great time. We will be back I am sure to finish the Cincy area. Georgous land out here.

Then how do you know it deserved #2. The same system is what got it there in the first place after all.

Well reviewing courses is kind of the central purpose of this site ain't it. Without a review section, it ceases to be DGCR, or at least the R part.

Here's my suggestion. How about people here quit worshiping the Top 10 list like the fate of western civilization is riding on it. I mean seriously guys, go boink your significant other (if necessary, get plastered first). Barbeque a small woodland creature and eat it. Play basketball blindfolded. Teach a cat how to speak Klingon. Go give candy to a baby so you can steal it back.

There are far more engaging things to do with your time than bitch how someone who has the same power to write reviews on here as you, well, has the same power to write reviews on here as you, and that by doing so, they might knock your precious Top 10 list out of order. I mean my God, they're just DG courses, its not like they're commandments or something.

Nice!

Also, the rest of this post is great. I agree 100%, good on ya' scarpfish.

WHO CARES ABOUT IDLEWILD? I mean, it's in freaking Kentucky.