• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

SoCal Noob

traumadiver

Bogey Member
I started playing in January and have really gotten hooked. Ive got a few really nice courses around me and am starting to play 2 to 3 times a week.

I currently have in the bag ,

175g Monarch (champ) <-- Straight line Drives
165g Monarch (champ) <-- Straight line Drives
172g Valkyrie (dx) <-- Hyzer drives
150g Valkyrie (dx) <-- Hyver Drives
168g Katana X-out (champ) <-- used for hard left hooks about 200 feet out
168g Wahoo (pro) Afraid of the water at a local course that ive lost 2 in
171g Buzz (esp) fairly beat in, found this one, whil search ing for another lost
167g Buzz (z)
177g Mako (champ glo)
170g Avair (dx)
168g Soft Banger GT (x) Love this thing
150g Avair (dx) dont like it

I feel pretty great about my midgame, and I do well putting :thmbup: ... But Driving... Well if you put one single tree in a field.... I will hit it every time :doh: . I am starting to feel better with the spin and distance from my drives but just having a hard time keeping them on target. I have been playing alot of Night Golf lately (less people and way cooler) and was making progress for a while but the last couple times ive just been off :wall: ...

Any tips and tricks for the new guy?

Try a champion teebird very easy to control and fly very straight. Don't get the plus mold I recommend the 12x. I learned how to play disc golf on that disc and i still carry it in my bag.

Welcome to the site and the sport.

The best advice I could give you would be to join a local league. Playing with like minded people who genuinely want to help you get better is the best thing you could do right now!

I agree, join a local league. You learn a lot by watching and playing against better players. Don't be afraid to ask questions and be open to drastically changing your throwing style to get better.

I want to Thrembo, but my current work schedule sucks B@lls! I dont have any consistancy to have any type of normal schedule... (rotating nights, days, swing, and weekends)

I understand. But joining a league doesn't require a huge comitment. Alot of leagues have handicaps on one day and doubles on a diferent one. Show up when you can, you don't have to go to them all.

a tip that helped me avoid the trees is to forget the trees. if you walk up to a tee and say okay... there's that tree and that tree and that tree i have to avoid; then subconsciously you are holding the trees in your mind and are more likely to throw towards them. try to visualize the line you want through the trees and focus on that.

it's the idea that negative space is just as important as positive space but negative space is the part of life that everyone seems to forget about. think about a bowl, when you look at a bowl you see the cup shaped physical part of it; yet it's the empty space within the bowl that makes it useful.

There are some videos out there that get pretty technical on stance, grip etc. I saw one called disc golf fundamentals from Ken Climo and David Feldberg that was pretty good. I picked up some distance after watching it and trying some different methods.

Where in so cal are you playing? We have a few very active weeklies and monthlies at pretty much every 18 hole course. By meeting up with them, you are not committing to showing up to EVERY event. You don't even have to show up at half of them. Just, when your schedule and a weekly align, its a good opportunity to join some like minded people.

Does apoth still show up?

He shows up about half the time, looking more and more like a caveman, still doin his thang at every opp.

Proof (from Prado last Sunday):

picture.php

Last edited:
Played 3 round yesterday at three different courses.... Ended up with a 65 the last round ( my personal best). Tried out that Teebird, I LIKE IT