• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Split the ace pool with your dubs partner?

Script

Eagle Member
So I was thinking...

At what point do you split the pot with your partner? If it's lower than 300, I probably would, 50-50. However, here in Charlotte, a lot of people before the round always agree on 75-25 or 80-20. It's probably a way for the better player to ensure he gets more because he's more likely to get it. I'm often the much better player, but I don't see it that way.

If it gets over a certain point, the majority of the turnout is probably due to ace runs. Cedar Hills in Raleigh right now apparently has a 1300 ace pool, with 3 teams of 2 per hole. Would you split an ace pool that high? I wouldn't, because I'd be out there just to hit it.

Thoughts?

Go by the golden rule - he who has the gold makes the rules. :D

My inclination is he who hits the ace takes the pool, but then I think of a good player letting the weaker player go first, drop something for an easy 2 or 3 and then just running it. I think its either 50-50 or nothing at all. 80-20 implies that the better player is out there hunting the cash, without much regard for their partner or tactics trying to win the dubs itself

Can you explain why you would split it? Your partner benefits from the lower score, but you threw the disc.

At one disc doubles at Cedar Hills back around 2002 or 2003, I hit an ace and split the money with my partner(he was the pro). I think we took hole $150 each.

And Cedar Hills ace pool will be a little under $1300 tonight if it fills.

Can you explain why you would split it? Your partner benefits from the lower score, but you threw the disc.

Agreed. I dont really plan on hitting any aces and if my partner hit one I would let him keep the cash, and hope that he would let me keep it if I randomly hit it.

Do ya'll do this for CTP's aswell...I don't think I would make that deal with my partner unless I was really off my game that day.

Oh and $1300 ace pot is insane...I don't think ours has gotten over a couple Bills

The guy shooting first (which in doubles is often the weaker partner) usually isn't shooting for an ace. On most holes that are duecable, the 1st guy is trying to park it. If that happens, the second better player can go for the ace as both parking it means nothing.

Had the first guy shanked his drive, it will be tougher to go for an ace, as missed ace runs often blow past 40+ feet.

It is in that thinking you could see splitting an ace. If you have two guys of equal skill, alternating drives, it can be more fun to split the ace pot, or at least throw your partner some cash

I'd say to discuss it before the round/shot.

If you are out there just aiming for every ace you can, then there's no reason he should take part of it if you hit one. You're doing all the work.

However, if you are not trying to do that and he parks a drive (enabling you to go for the ace), at least discuss it right then on the spot.

You might both be out there just to hit the ace pot though. And if that happens, then just discuss it beforehand.

I probably kick down some cash to my partner but 50/50 seems like way too much. I'd probably do something like 80/20. If my partner hit it I wouldn't expect a thing but would be more than happy to accept some of the pot.

Funny, around here I've never heard of splitting the ace pool. It's always gone to the person who gets the ace. The partner just got a boost towards some of that day's winnings. On the other hand, with an ace-friendly course we don't run up huge ace pools to argue about.

Regional differences.

Always split the pot 50/50 i used to believe in if you hit it keep it but after playing with the same guys at least once a week and having the new ones show up once and awhile its alot easier and nicer just to split it that way it also keeps people coming back

If I put my dollar into the ace pot, and I hit the ace, I get the ace pot. Why would I split an ace pot with someone who didn't get an ace?

Latest posts