• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sports Hernia?Pain in lower right stomach for a RHBH when breathing deep, sneezing...

I'm looking for what players have done who had experience with this.
Doctor can only diagnose a problem, that's it.

I know this is from Disc Golfing. I'm otherwise in perfect health.

Doctors are the last to know about strengthening exercises or non-surgical solutions.

The doctor will rule out things they can take care of. From there they will send you to a physical therapist who will know how to take care of strengthening and whatnot.

Most likely from disc golf, but I strained something in the upper chest area. I know it was muscle related because throughout the course of a few weeks it seemed to move. At first it was in the upper chest, near the front of my body. But as I continued to play it migrated to the back, just under the shoulder blade. Within another week it moved from the left side to the right side as I favored the non-sore part of my body as I played and moved about in my regular day.

It got to the point where I nearly passed out from sneezing, I could not lift anything over my head, and I could not get comfortable in the car (I commute 90 minutes each way to work). When I finally broke down and saw the doctor, he sent me immediately to the physical therapist. Between the PT and chiropractor (unrelated lower back pain caused by the long commute), I have now been pain free for over a year, and that is despite playing more this last year than in any previous year as I prepare for next year's Am Worlds at my local courses. I am 37 and I refuse to grow old.

nice

The doctor will rule out things they can take care of. From there they will send you to a physical therapist who will know how to take care of strengthening and whatnot.

Most likely from disc golf, but I strained something in the upper chest area. I know it was muscle related because throughout the course of a few weeks it seemed to move. At first it was in the upper chest, near the front of my body. But as I continued to play it migrated to the back, just under the shoulder blade. Within another week it moved from the left side to the right side as I favored the non-sore part of my body as I played and moved about in my regular day.

It got to the point where I nearly passed out from sneezing, I could not lift anything over my head, and I could not get comfortable in the car (I commute 90 minutes each way to work). When I finally broke down and saw the doctor, he sent me immediately to the physical therapist. Between the PT and chiropractor (unrelated lower back pain caused by the long commute), I have now been pain free for over a year, and that is despite playing more this last year than in any previous year as I prepare for next year's Am Worlds at my local courses. I am 37 and I refuse to grow old.

Good to hear you overcame that.
I think this is a serious issue that all disc golfers should be aware of. Personally, I know I tend to try too hard on almost everything I do, which can lead to problems.

I think the more we talk about these things the better.

Suggesting to see a doctor is always great first advice, but it shouldn't stop people from telling their experiences so we all can learn from them.

I've often posted about my adventures with self-diagnosis and treatment, and the grief it caused me. I spare you a repeat.

If you don't see a doctor, you're just guessing at what's wrong. What if you're guessing wrong? After that, you're guessing, or taking internet advice, for treatment. Treatment that may be the wrong thing if you've guessed right in your diagnosis, and will certainly be the wrong thing if you've mis-diagnosed yourself.

yea I think you're right. Balance is a big issue. I still need to learn proper technique for drives/midrange. Even after watching all these videos, it's hard.

During your reach back, are your hips/abs twisting at all? I'm thinking about eliminating any twist and just doing a back to forward shift, then pivot on my heel and follow through.

What part of STOP didn't you get? Stop, NOW, and stick with couch-surfing Memorial videos and Martha Stewart tutorials. And the Landfill.
And see a quack---umm, ducktor,---umm, turn your head and cough.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btfw0XdmjiU

I am not throwing this up as an example of how to throw, but more as how I definitely use all the parts of my body and the technique works for me so that I can throw all day with maybe at most a mild soreness the next day. There were some good shots on my part, but I do not shy away from the keeping the bad ones of film too.

At BRP I have the black hat and Angry Birds shirt.
Theo I was in a green shirt.
Oakwood I was yellow.

I find that I have a lot of rotation which keeps any one body part from being overstressed. I think this has gone a long way in preventing injury caused by actually throwing (I have stepped off the tee pad numerous times because of my follow-through and slipped).

cool

Cool video. I've actually been doing throws kind of like this before you even showed this to me, to lay off overexerting a small area.

nice to hear it's helping you.
thanks for sharing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btfw0XdmjiU

I am not throwing this up as an example of how to throw, but more as how I definitely use all the parts of my body and the technique works for me so that I can throw all day with maybe at most a mild soreness the next day. There were some good shots on my part, but I do not shy away from the keeping the bad ones of film too.

At BRP I have the black hat and Angry Birds shirt.
Theo I was in a green shirt.
Oakwood I was yellow.

I find that I have a lot of rotation which keeps any one body part from being overstressed. I think this has gone a long way in preventing injury caused by actually throwing (I have stepped off the tee pad numerous times because of my follow-through and slipped).

I've often posted about my adventures with self-diagnosis and treatment, and the grief it caused me. I spare you a repeat.

If you don't see a doctor, you're just guessing at what's wrong. What if you're guessing wrong? After that, you're guessing, or taking internet advice, for treatment. Treatment that may be the wrong thing if you've guessed right in your diagnosis, and will certainly be the wrong thing if you've mis-diagnosed yourself.

^This^

Did LeBron James take a bunch of negative nancy's advice and go see a doctor for having bad toes? No, he said "eff those naysayers" and went on to become the best player on the planet. :|

Screen-Shot-2013-06-08-at-6.54.40-AM-500x499.png

hmm

Ugly toes and possible injury are two very different things.

I think Dave was being sarcastic....I think...

Anyway, I'm going to rest and not dg at all for a couple weeks first, see if that helps. Then I'll see a quacker.

It's not that bad right now, but definitely noticeable at times.
It's not so much pain, as it is when you know something is different about your body.

heh

Go see a ****ing doctor, dumbass. :|

How's that for non-generic? :) ;)

I'm going to rest it before doing that.
This has just recently happened, and the severity in symptoms is a 1/10 right now.

Thus my desire to hear other people's experiences first.

OK. My experience is that I've never heard of a sports hernia, so not much help there. I'll avoid the doctor and rest something that isn't too painful, and hasn't lasted two long. And that when I finally got to the doctor for any injury or disease, my accuracy rate of predicting the diagnosis is about 20%.

Here's my experience in the other-than-sports-hernia dept.:

One knee went bad at age 16, the other at 22, and they grew progressively worse. When I was in my mid-40s and needed knee braces for office work, I went to an orthopedist to see what surgery could do for me. He diagnosed tight hamstrings, prescribed a stretching routine, and in a few months my knees were better than when I was 20. I wished I'd gone to him much sooner.

My shoulder went bad and I tried everything else---rest, ignoring it, physical therapy, muscle relaxants, chiropractors---until, 2 years later, I went to the orthopedist hoping for the same easy solution. An MRI revealed a torn labrum, surgery mended it, and 9 years later I'm still throwing discs. But I missed 2 years out of my disc golf life, and wished I'd gone to him sooner.

I injured my knee in a bike fall. Having learned my lesson, I gave it a week to recover, then went to the orthopedist. My guess at what was damaged was completely wrong, but it still needed surgery and I got it done, and recovered, in time to play the one-time-only event at the resurrected Gran Canyon course, my all-time favorite.

All of which is why I say, if you don't know what the problem is and it doesn't get better on its own, see a doctor. Don't waste time....and don't risk it getting much worse.

OK. My experience is that I've never heard of a sports hernia, so not much help there. I'll avoid the doctor and rest something that isn't too painful, and hasn't lasted two long. And that when I finally got to the doctor for any injury or disease, my accuracy rate of predicting the diagnosis is about 20%.

Here's my experience in the other-than-sports-hernia dept.:

One knee went bad at age 16, the other at 22, and they grew progressively worse. When I was in my mid-40s and needed knee braces for office work, I went to an orthopedist to see what surgery could do for me. He diagnosed tight hamstrings, prescribed a stretching routine, and in a few months my knees were better than when I was 20. I wished I'd gone to him much sooner.

My shoulder went bad and I tried everything else---rest, ignoring it, physical therapy, muscle relaxants, chiropractors---until, 2 years later, I went to the orthopedist hoping for the same easy solution. An MRI revealed a torn labrum, surgery mended it, and 9 years later I'm still throwing discs. But I missed 2 years out of my disc golf life, and wished I'd gone to him sooner.

I injured my knee in a bike fall. Having learned my lesson, I gave it a week to recover, then went to the orthopedist. My guess at what was damaged was completely wrong, but it still needed surgery and I got it done, and recovered, in time to play the one-time-only event at the resurrected Gran Canyon course, my all-time favorite.

All of which is why I say, if you don't know what the problem is and it doesn't get better on its own, see a doctor. Don't waste time....and don't risk it getting much worse.

for sure, thanks for that

Like I said, I want to at least give my body a chance to relax or heal itself first. At this point all I know is that my body notices something strange. It's not severe but I'm alert to it.

It sounded more severe in your original post.

Trust me, I understand that you can't run to the doctor with every new pain. At my age, I'd just have to have a standing weekly appointment. Sometimes it's a guessing game.

for sure, thanks for that

Like I said, I want to at least give my body a chance to relax or heal itself first. At this point all I know is that my body notices something strange. It's not severe but I'm alert to it.

Ha, we getcha.

We just want to cover OUR asses so that when you eventually go to the doctor you can't say, "Well, the guys on DGCR said..." :p :D ;)

l o l

Ha, we getcha.

We just want to cover OUR asses so that when you eventually go to the doctor you can't say, "Well, the guys on DGCR said..." :p :D ;)

that's retarded.
I can't even get DGCR to regulate on scams. And you're worried about lawsuits from online posts? lol

sorry had to laugh

I'm a 30 year old disc golfer that suffered an abdominal hernia, not from DG but from lifting one of those old Sony Trinitron tvs. It felt like a bulge on by beltline that I could push in and out. After talking with my doctor, she said its a weak spot in the abdonminal wall that lets part of your intestine squish out. It would not heal itself, and surgery is the only option. If I didn't get surgery, blood could be cut off from the intestine, and worse case scenario could be gangrene, and possibly death. I went in for laproscopic surgery, they wove in a screen mesh to stenghten the abdonminal wall. After a couple weeks, I was fine, after a couple months, I was able to lift things again.

that's retarded.
I can't even get DGCR to regulate on scams. And you're worried about lawsuits from online posts? lol

sorry had to laugh

And you did realize I was joking, right....?? :p :rolleyes: :doh: