• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Steady Ed Original Designs

I think West Park is still mostly original, except for the added holes of course.

Wait, West Park was put in in 1979, but I don't think Steady Ed designed it.

I think Hall of Famer Gary Lewis has been the main guy at West. Steve Matul, PDGA #008 and maybe even Brian Cummings might have been involved at times there over the years.

I think Hall of Famer Gary Lewis has been the main guy at West. Steve Matul, PDGA #008 and maybe even Brian Cummings might have been involved at times there over the years.

Yeah, I just always assumed that Gary was the main designer.

Chuck
How many courses did Ed design ? The credited number here seems way low.
Also curious what his last design was ?

Last edited:

Great link, all the cincy ones are still here and haven't changed. Alot of trees are gone and earth bridges were installed at woodland mound but baskets havent been moved. One really cool one now is Miami Whitewater they planted pines when the course was put in and now they are 35 years old. I discovered it last summer and it is a great change of pace for this area and a fun course.

pohick bay in lorton, va is pretty much the same as is mclean central in mclean, va. i think all the others in VA have been changed severely.

Chuck
Maybe someone else can chime in. DGCR credits Headrick with 40 course designs, and Victor Malafronte says he put in nearly 800 courses...

I don't know this as actual "fact", but I believe Ken Caryl DGC in Littleton, CO. is still the original design, as i don't know of any changes made to it since I first played it in 1995, and it's such a short course on a small piece of land that the options of a re-design are really not possible.

Great link, all the cincy ones are still here and haven't changed. Alot of trees are gone and earth bridges were installed at woodland mound but baskets havent been moved. One really cool one now is Miami Whitewater they planted pines when the course was put in and now they are 35 years old. I discovered it last summer and it is a great change of pace for this area and a fun course.

The two that are original here in Cincinnati are Winton Woods and Embshoff Woods. Agent D said many trees are gone and that is true.
Miami Whitewater Forest is in its third design and across the road from its original location.
Woodland Mound Park had many holes redesigned when they took out two holes that played along a ridge.

Chuck
I really don't know. I didn't get in the game until 1989 when Ed helped me with my first design at North Valley.

On the DGA website, Victor Malafronte indicated Ed had 800 designs in 20 countries. I don't see how that's possible. Maybe 80-100 where he was the primary designer with 800 where he provided the baskets and some advice?

Sedgley Woods

To my knowledge, the Sedgley Woods blue tees, for holes 1-18 are the original Steady Ed design for the course. They added 9 more holes that are not part of the original design.

800 seems really, really high. I would have guessed someplace in the 200-300 range.
You mentioned on another thread that he did some "designs" just using a park map and didn't actually ever make it to the site. If so, 800 would have been in the realm of possibility.