• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Stiff vs floppy disc flight lines observation

Colt

Birdie Member
I play mostly with wizards and buzz's.... Both available in variety of plastics/rubberish plastic. Recently I noticed whether I'm throwing a hyzer, anhyzer what have you, the flx/RFF/softer plastics flight is softer, minimal, less pronounced, less anny, less hyzer... The stiff discs always seem to hold lines harder... Any one else see this... Or is this common knowledge?

Last edited:
I think it depends on how much the discs are beat in more than anything. With that said I have noticed that the stiffer/ harder/slicker the disc is the crisper lines they produce. Not sure if this is always true but this is what I've noticed also. Could also just be a mental thing that you throw better lines with discs that aren't floppy.

I had much greater success with my soft Summit holding an anny all the way to the ground, as opposed to my medium Summit which would cut into a roller. Not sure why, but it has increased my confidence with the soft Summit, for sure.

I've done alot of thinking about this. The texture obviously has an effect on a disc's flight, but I've questioned how much the stiffness of a disc would affect this. When the disc is spinning through the air, I feel like the stiffness shouldn't matter due to the gyroscopics. However, I do think the stiffness could have a big effect on your grip/release, which in turn could affect how the disc flies. So, if I were to guess, I'd say stiffness affects release but not aerodynamics.

you can bomb soft vibram discs cleanly and they'll fly like any other (stiffer) disc. ive never noticed a difference with any other brand either.

I can flick or backhand my soft Summit way smoother than the Med/Firm ones. Firm ones I OAT all the time, they were taken out of the bag pretty quick, Med isnt as bad but soft still gives me the cleanest release.

I think it all boils down to how you grip the disc, firm Summits just arent as comfortable in my hand as the softs.

Latest posts