• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Team Challenge Tournament

cacriswell2

Par Member
Our state like I'm sure many others do have a club challenge where all the clubs across the state play in a team tournament representing your home club. I just thought it would be cool if the pro teams held something like this. Innova, Discraft, DD, Prodigy, etc all bring their best squad and duke it out. Has a tournament like this ever happened? Why doesn't it happen? Seems like it would be a sweet tournament.

Would have to do it full team style. Like, 2 open men, 2 open women, 2 amateurs, and 2 masters. Have a points system based on match play results among the different "divisions" and a stroke play round for each division

I would love to see it as a 6-8 way Ryder cup format teams matchplay competition. Singles matchplay, doubles alternate matchplay, and doubles best disc (score) matchplay all combined between 6 players a team (4 men 2 women). It could be AWESOME!

I am sure there is also a fear element in there for some manufacturers who don't have faith in their players or their discs to do something like that when it could show a lack of certain aspects in their disc lineup. Most companies wont do a "Coke vs Pepsi" type challenge unless they know they will come out on top.

I would like to see it though

I would guess no more than 2 or 3 manufacturers have any delusion that their sponsored teams would win. Most have smaller teams, and some players are sponsored for reasons beyond their absolute skill levels.

If the manufacturer's do care about the talent levels of their teams, they can pretty much compare head-to-head results at major events, and boast of their success.

So what's their incentive to throw big sums of money into creating a showcase event, in which they'd pretty much have to guarantee payment to everyone to entice them to attend?

I would guess no more than 2 or 3 manufacturers have any delusion that their sponsored teams would win. Most have smaller teams, and some players are sponsored for reasons beyond their absolute skill levels.

If the manufacturer's do care about the talent levels of their teams, they can pretty much compare head-to-head results at major events, and boast of their success.

So what's their incentive to throw big sums of money into creating a showcase event, in which they'd pretty much have to guarantee payment to everyone to entice them to attend?

I think the problem with a manufacturer's team challenge tournament is that people can change team's. The average disc golfer may have a favorite company but usually has a bag with mutliple companies in it.

I feel like I have watched a Ryder cup type event before online...

It would be could if they did an allstar tournament voted on by fans. But the teams would be picked by captains like the NHL all star game. Then if they did a Ryder style cup of play along with a skills challenge that might be entertaining.

Heck, split the country in half and have an East-West challenge. It would give more rationale for rooting for one team than manufacturer loyalty.

I could be wrong---it certainly would surprise no one---but I doubt there are enough people who care about sponsored players and specific manufacturers to generate much fan interest in a challenge between them. Or, at least, not enough to warrant the trouble and expense.

Latest posts