• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Telulah Park Appleron

dill

got a letter from my alderman that said it is closed from now on maybe a 9 hole course on top of the hill but down the hill done looking for a new park to put the baskets in anybody here anything

The good holes; those involving the hill in any way are going to be eliminated; due to erosion and a new river side development. There are no plans to relocate those baskets at the moment. I've been told I will be kept abreast of any future plans. I don't know what the dates are on the deletion of the current 18 hole layout; may already be underway; I have not been out there all winter.

That sucks hopefully they keep the three in the woods on top of the hill so it not all open field holes. Maybe they could put another nine at Plamann or a nine at a different park there are a few parks you could make something cool at

Or maybe they could move the tee pads to Pierce park that would be nice to have tee pads there

Bummer. Enjoyed playing there with you a couple of years back, TallPaul. It was cool to hear the history from you regarding the holes that used to be back there behind that wall. Drama filled course.

I feel like it is (was?) one of the more underrated courses I have played..... <3.0 DGCR rating on a course that has/had a lot of cool holes and only a few boring ones. Good and interesting use of terrain and the the open holes on the top were mostly making pretty interesting use of the few trees and pins near the drop-off. I graded it a solid B+ (3.5 rating). Loss of that course is certainly a loss to "Appleron" (which is a very solid DG area).

This really sucks, that is where the biggest local league night was on wednesdays. It was a solid course, lots of fun wooded holes, mostly pretty short but only a couple boring holes. I thought something was up when I walked around there in Jan. and a lot of the teepads were gone, I guess I was right that they were getting rid of it...

Plamann has always been our heaviest played course; but Telulah has always been our heaviest played league course; and is the course closest to my home. It was also the best winter course; in the days when baskets stayed in for the winter. Unfortunately, it's been a battle that the Appleton Area Disc Club has been wageing for many years, to keep that course in the ground. Looks like the battle has final been lost. It is sad; and I agree with Dave, it was a rather underated course.

This news, frankly, sucks. Telulah is my favorite course in that area, even after they removed the holes in the woods on the west side of the park. I looked back in my email, and almost exactly 10 years to the day, I wrote an email to the entire Appleton City Council pleading for them to keep the course. This was after reading an article in the Post Crescent about the proposal to remove the course back then. I explained how the course at Telulah was the main reason I visited the Appleton area, spending money in their stores, restaurants, and hotels. In fact, I had just returned from such a trip to Appleton the day before.

Is this decision final?

I am going to send an e-mail right now asking them to keep the course. It seems its final though as they're already removed like 8 teepads.

Teleulah was already saved once; with what ended up being, what I considered an astounding amount of emails/signatures on a petition. That, combined with the fact that the construction was put on hold for a few years. I think it's a done deal at this point.

We're fairly clear at this point. Mostly snow by the streets/shady places. Unfortunately, O'Hauser is a pretty shady/wooded park. I have not been out there recently though; so, I can't say for sure. Much of Grignon is wooded/shady as well. Not muddy yet, at least....:)

Ohauser is the best looking course now, the short tees are perfectly cleared. There's still snow on most holes, but you probably won't have to worry about lost discs.

I played my first ever tournament at Telulah. Such a shame that they are going to remove it. If there aren't plans for the pins yet I know that DePere is looking to install a new course and us Green Bay folks have one in the works at Calavera Springs.

Is the snow almost gone up there yet? I'll be in Green Bay in a week. Looking to golf. Already lost one disc in the snow in Appleton.

Green Bay is is probably going to be snowless by next week, but the courses are going to be in their worst shape of the year because of it.

Perkins was already under water last weekend with about half of it's ice/snow still unmelted. Same for Pinecrest.

Pamperin might be ok with its brick teepads, but the hills in the woods will be a mess.

Triangle/Bairds is usually pulled until mid-april...

UWGB might be ok...most of that's fairly high ground.

heres the e-mail reply I got

Hello,

Thank you for your email and giving us the ability to answer your concern. We to are disappointed in the need to shut down the 9-holes on the hill. Unfortunately, the need to protect and preserve the hillside is of highest priority and a responsibility we cannot ignore. The hill has seen substantial damage, tree roots are being exposed, vegetation is disappearing, etc. The City of Appleton received two opinions from local civil engineers regarding the hillside damage and both concluded that the 9-hole course had to be removed to prevent further deterioration and damage that would be irreversible.

We have been working on obtaining land on the south side of the City in which we could build a well designed 18 hole disc golf course. We were hoping that we could at least wait until a new course was opened before closing the 9 holes at Telulah. Unfortunately we were unable to do that. We understand the need for disc golf and continue to ensure it is considered wherever and whenever the opportunity would arise.

We share your disappointment, but ask for your understanding.

Sincerely,

Dean R. Gazza, CPRE, CFM, PMP, LEED-AP

Director of Parks, Recreation and Facilities Management

1819 East Witzke Boulevard

Appleton, WI 54911-8401

Phone: (920) 832-5572

Fax: (920) 993-3103