• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thanks for the Crack

zensuit

Par Member
I'm 49, with kids, played every sport imaginable. I need another time consuming activity like a hole in the head. but a friend says "check out this Disc Golf forum and there's a top 50 course about 15 minutes from your house"

So of course I have to take my son disc golfing.

And now....

I've been playing for a few weeks. The sound of the chains is...well, so...you know....

My right shoulder, my dominant arm, is torn up from years of abuse so I have to rest it a few days after a round...

But this won't do...

So what do I do? Yep...I spend the better part of an afternoon learning to throw lefty so I can play every day....

it's too late to say no....

too late for me...

but you can save yourself.....

Z

PS- if you are learning to throw long with your offhand...a Comet is a great place to start.

Great post bro! It was very fun to read. Thanks for sharing this...it means alot to many of us and brings back those early memories. Keep Discin'!

Z -
Welcome. The disc hobby is a great one. Glad to hear you're getting a new generation started as well.

Which course are you next to... what's the hook that was so good it got you addicted in mid-winter?
-tim

if you are learning to throw long with your offhand...a Comet is a great place to start.
If you are serious about throwing correctly, a Comet is a great disc...offhand or not.

Welcome to the affliction. One day they might come up with a shot to cure it...although I'm not sure I'd go and get one.

Besides, my crap-ass insurance would never cover it! :D

The Sinks in Chattanooga, TN. Can you say, "Dude that was perfect, sorry about the tree"?

The disc hobby is a great one.

Hobby? Disc golf is a way of life. I find myself always thinking about it, no matter where I am. Whenever I see an open field or woods I think, damn, that could be a sweet course!

Anyways, welcome to the sport, Zen! Hope you have many a good rounds, and enjoy playing lefty, it's the only proper way to live. :p

From one 49 year old to another: you are never too old for DG. Welcome to the site.

hah, zensuit. The Sinks is a great course to start. I'm in chattanooga in the summers when i'm not at school. It's definitely a righties course though. tons of trees. love it. have fun learning with your off hand.

Hi, my name is John. I'm 38 years old and I'm an addict. It all started less than 6 months ago and I can't get the monkey off my back. Our company just agreed to shell out 1,500 bucks to sponsor a local tournament just so I can get a disc with our logo on it. And that's just the beginning...

I'm 39, and started in late July(when I got laid off)... I have found 10 discs(2 wraiths, destroyer, Xpress, Stratus, Eagle, Cyclone2, Starfire, Panther, and a Gateway Flyers disc) I have played almost every day since the first time I tossed a disc, sometimes 2 or 3 rounds... I've bought two bags, and sold the first one that I bought... I love this, and can't wait to try out a tourney!!! Even in the frigid cold it is fun...

I've almost got the whole family throwing now. My brother is pretty competetive. So he practices every day for 2 weeks in anticipation of my visit. We play a few holes & his arm starts hurting. No problem he says. It only hurts on my back hand. I'll throw side arm. A few holes later & he cant throw side arm without pain. He says we have to go home. On the way to the parking lot he says "hey, I can throw left handed". This is an addiction in every sense of the word.
Once started, it cannot be stopped.

I'm coming up on 2 years this April...I'll play as much as I can. I find myself leaving work early to disc, and the DG dreams make the nights fly by. Sure beats the video game addiction I used to have. Summer can't come soon enough, then we can disc until 10pm...hooray

I'm 49, with kids, played every sport imaginable. I need another time consuming activity like a hole in the head. but a friend says "check out this Disc Golf forum and there's a top 50 course about 15 minutes from your house"

So of course I have to take my son disc golfing.

And now....

I've been playing for a few weeks. The sound of the chains is...well, so...you know....

My right shoulder, my dominant arm, is torn up from years of abuse so I have to rest it a few days after a round...

But this won't do...

So what do I do? Yep...I spend the better part of an afternoon learning to throw lefty so I can play every day....

it's too late to say no....

too late for me...

but you can save yourself.....

Z

PS- if you are learning to throw long with your offhand...a Comet is a great place to start.

try an hour of an electric heating pad for an hour on your bad arm.

Two words.....ICY HOT!
Luckily I don't have pain in my arm/shoulder, but my knee does start feeling it after a round or 2...or 3...or...????? Guess it was those years in my 20's when I was racing for Honda cross country/moto X...catches up to you in your 40's.

I'm 39, and started in late July(when I got laid off)... I have found 10 discs(2 wraiths, destroyer, Xpress, Stratus, Eagle, Cyclone2, Starfire, Panther, and a Gateway Flyers disc) I have played almost every day since the first time I tossed a disc, sometimes 2 or 3 rounds... I've bought two bags, and sold the first one that I bought... I love this, and can't wait to try out a tourney!!! Even in the frigid cold it is fun...

DUDE! MN just set a new temperature (sp?) record. Didn't get like -45 there man? I make it apoint to visit Alexandria MN every year, but not in cold like that! Keep throwing.:)

Latest posts