• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The downside to ams playing random draw doubles

Uh oh... this threads scaring me away from trying doubles out... I've played on nights where they had doubles at my local course and some of the guys seem like they would openly be douchey to you, or just pretend to be nice.

Solution: I'll just become an ungodly putter!

Do not be afraid of doubles, I've only seen one instance of a player being a moron b/c of pairing, and I've been about 30 times. When I first started playing last year, I immediately signed up for local doubles. It was a chance for me to get paired with some excellent players or be on the same card...and watch and learn! I've never had someone not be helpful or nice to me, a few have even offered to give me advice.

I always throw first and as long as I land safe, my partner can go for it. That's what I think part of my role is as the Am on my card, in addition to putting. Putting is the best opportunity for the AM to do their part to help your team!!!

For some reason there is no laying up or playing safe in doubles here. You are chastised for not going for it which has led to some awful rounds and blown confidence in my instance. I wish I could play it safe more without being pressured to always go for the pin. It would build a bit more confidence as the round progressed.

Seriously, Opti??? I feel bad for you if that is how your doubles play works. Generally, I just keep my drives somewhat decently long 260-280 and in the fairway. And make sure I lay up close to the pin. This is mostly for par 3's around 275-450 feet. I let my more advanced partner go for it, especially on putts. I mean, I do go for birdies if it's reasonable in distance. My jump putt is kind of crappy tho, but usually settles close to the pin.

is it someone different?

Sometimes. I get my fair share of really awesome partners too, don't get me wrong. But my luck when it comes to random just isn't good. Maybe it's my fault and I just suck at flipping my disc to chose a partner. :p Even the douche bags are good players, they are just the kind of people who you can't stand to be around for a full round of disc golf. The few times I've won in doubles came when we just went out and had a great time. Nobody worried about winning, we get back, run through the scores, and find out we were leaving with cash. I think as long as you go out to have fun you have a better chance at winning. The one time I drew my son as a partner, because we are so used to playing together, we went 21 holes for a tie-breaker until we finally lost by one shot.

Do not be afraid of doubles, I've only seen one instance of a player being a moron b/c of pairing, and I've been about 30 times. When I first started playing last year, I immediately signed up for local doubles. It was a chance for me to get paired with some excellent players or be on the same card...and watch and learn! I've never had someone not be helpful or nice to me, a few have even offered to give me advice.

I always throw first and as long as I land safe, my partner can go for it. That's what I think part of my role is as the Am on my card, in addition to putting. Putting is the best opportunity for the AM to do their part to help your team!!!
Oddly - usually I have the opposite reaction with my Am partners. I tell them to go for everything. Try to park the hole, try to nail the long putt. The way I see it - I'm a good enough player that I should be able to play a safe drive or make a safe run at the basket without blowing by. If he makes runs at everything, we get a few more makes from him than we usually would and more often than you'd think he doesn't actually blow that far by, or hits some sort of metal to keep it close. And then I get to make my run anyway. If he does blow by, as said: I should be able to both make a run AND keep it close. If I'm not good enough to do that, I'm not worth my salt.

Oddly - usually I have the opposite reaction with my Am partners. I tell them to go for everything. Try to park the hole, try to nail the long putt. The way I see it - I'm a good enough player that I should be able to play a safe drive or make a safe run at the basket without blowing by. If he makes runs at everything, we get a few more makes from him than we usually would and more often than you'd think he doesn't actually blow that far by, or hits some sort of metal to keep it close. And then I get to make my run anyway. If he does blow by, as said: I should be able to both make a run AND keep it close. If I'm not good enough to do that, I'm not worth my salt.

That and with two of you, even paired with an intermediate guy, I don't worry about the comeback putt much anyway.
If I hit 7/10 inside 25 (I am a really bad putter lately) and he hits 5/10 or even 4/10 I would say those odds are better than me at 15'. :doh:

That and with two of you, even paired with an intermediate guy, I don't worry about the comeback putt much anyway.
If I hit 7/10 inside 25 (I am a really bad putter lately) and he hits 5/10 or even 4/10 I would say those odds are better than me at 15'. :doh:
Very much agreed. A lot of people get it in their head that a 25' is so intimidating. I work hard to make sure my partner is confident in me. Maybe I'm putting too much work into things mentally - but usually I let him go first and bang a few 15 footers in a row, and then we get to our first 20' putt I'll step up expressly to nail it. That works to raise his confidence in me backing him up, and I go back to allowing him to take those short ones first. I feel like I want to make my partner trust my ability to hit the putt no matter what he does ahead of me.

If guys are out there playing random doubles to pay the rent, then they're the ones with a skewed sense of reality. Random doubles are meant to give ams a chance to compete with every group on the course. Enjoy it, regardless of who you're paired with.

Use the 1000 rated player to help out your game. If they are not willing to help; just throw the game. Last but not least hit them in the back of the neck with your next drive. This may lower them back down to the 850's and even the playing field. :0

Hey guys I have a couple of questions... I have never played in a tournament of any kind. I have only been playing disc golf for about a month but I try to play every day. Im not very good (most of my drives are in the 150-175 foot range and I generally bogey,or worse, most holes) but I really would like to get better. It seems like a random doubles would be a great way to get better but that leads me to my questions...

First, how do I find out about these kinds of tournaments? And second, I really dont want to tick anyone off by having them get paired with the worst player, so should I get a bit better before I sign up for one?

Hey guys I have a couple of questions... I have never played in a tournament of any kind. I have only been playing disc golf for about a month but I try to play every day. Im not very good (most of my drives are in the 150-175 foot range and I generally bogey,or worse, most holes) but I really would like to get better. It seems like a random doubles would be a great way to get better but that leads me to my questions...

First, how do I find out about these kinds of tournaments? And second, I really dont want to tick anyone off by having them get paired with the worst player, so should I get a bit better before I sign up for one?

We encourage new players here. We like it because our local pros are wonderful teachers and it evens out the field. We use an a/b/c random draw. Pros get newbs and the ams pair up. We average about 20 players on our 2 weekly leagues. And scores very seldomly spread beyond 10 stokes. Look for regular players on the course and ask about local legues. Or do a little online research. If your ever in the Albany NY area we have leagues tuesday and thursday night. Check us out at http://discap.net/

I played in random dubs last year at a tournament at okeehelee park in florida. My partner had just finished fourth in his division at worlds ( i think his name was dave) and I had been playing for a few months. I was horrible. He was a great sport and was supportive throughout the whole thing. I was horrified that I "ruined" his round but he assured me it was supposed to be fun and he had been in the same spot i was at one point.

Very positive experience.

If there is a local club website check that, if not look at your local courses bulletin board.

Funny thing, I have never played locally but just played in Greenville SC on a trip. :p

The way I see it is, if they're that great they'll be fine whether you do well or not.

Over 10years that is good.

We play random dubs every Sunday.. We actually have a handicap system to even it out... definitely needs some tweeking next year though, but after years of or most recently the last few years of the same guys winning it's nice to spread it around

Wonder whatever happened to billnchristy...
He was pretty active on here for a while.
10,000+ posts in just a few years.

Latest posts