• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2022 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Many players that have switch companys and got a BIG paycheck. . . .but i wonder how all the players stuck in a bad contract feels about the 2022 season?

Dickerson reupped right before he won USDGC and became a 1050 guy.
/fact
I have to imagine he was "stuck" a little worse than some guys who just haven't seen the inflation bump. He probably asked for a reasonable raise given his rise in value and got denied, and that's causing the bad breakup.
/speculation

I wonder if he found out the terms of Kevin Jones' deal and wanted a raise, they said no and he was all set.

This seems abrupt and not friendly

The way he's posted about selling everything in one sale on Instagram in his story for discs and apparel. Just get this stuff out of here style makes it appear like it could be and abrupt break-up.

I hope he lands somewhere that will allow him to tour still, he's incredibly skilled and fun to watch.

Hiring a manager has to be the next step for these top tier pros to grow and solve these kind of problems. Regardless of how much money Ricky was making before this new deal, he saw the value in investing in a manager and delegating tasks to her. Now he has more time to practice and focusing on playing disc golf. We cant deny that has contributed largely to his success on the course this year. And I firmly believe that without that partnership, he doesnt get this big new DD contract. Other top tier pros will need to create those kind of partnerships / make that investment to get to that next level with him and stay there.

I wonder to what degree various sponsoring manufacturers currently (or may in the near future) do to help fill this role for their touring pros.

It would seem seem that having a dedicated "Touring Team Manager" might be relatively cost efficient, and could be an added incentive to the first few companies who choose to offer it.

Similar deals from competing sponsors, one offering such a resource, and one doesn't ...could make a difference in choosing a sponsor.

Obviously, such team managers couldn't really be involved in negotiating salaries and other monetary decisions between the player and the company as a true agent would.

Still, players might be able to limit how much they'd really need an agent if they had other resources to assist with managing tour logistics and their various social media content.

Not sure how soon the majority of touring pros will be able to afford a dedicated Ari, like Ricky's got. Basically, Ari's entire job is Ricky. Not saying she isn't worth it, but she seems pretty sharp, and that kind of talent and dedication ain't cheap.

Last edited:
Many players that have switch companys and got a BIG paycheck. . . .but i wonder how all the players stuck in a bad contract feels about the 2022 season?

At this point I don't know if "stuck in a bad contract" exists? Ricky, Dickerson, and Hailey all walked away. Nikko was apparently mutual, but him not announcing anything new yet surely doesn't come across as mutual.

There might be a few others that have left prematurely?

I think the big lesson to be learned is pretty much everything is negotiable. During the sponsorship episode of the Upshot I was fairly impressed with how Uli talked about structuring deals that made sense for the individual players. Hokom talked a bit about an NDA. I'd expect not all sponsors take it that far, but if you're trying to assess your own value or see what your peers are arranging it makes things difficult. I think you'll see sponsors start taking the contract terms a bit more seriously so they're more thorough and clear cut in terms of termination. You'll see more third parties negotiating on behalf of the players. I think that's quite far from a labor union at this point, but I could see players wanting something like that to help leverage down the road.

Big picture I think this is unfortunately going to split the pro field into two distinct groups, if it's not already there. The true disc golf professionals and the ones who make a little bit of money playing disc golf. As that gap widens I think it'll be tougher for players to make that jump into the upper echelon.

I wonder to what degree various sponsoring manufacturers currently (or may in the near future) do to help fill this role for their touring pros.

It would seem seem that having a dedicated "Touring Team Manager" might be relatively cost efficient, and could be an added incentive to the first few companies who choose to offer it.

Similar deals from competing sponsors, one offering such a resource, and one doesn't ...could make a difference in choosing a sponsor.

Obviously, such team managers couldn't really be involved in negotiating salaries and other monetary decisions between the player and the company as a true agent would.

Still, players might be able to limit how much they'd really need an agent if they had other resources to assist with managing tour logistics and their various social media content.

Not sure how soon the majority of touring pros will be able to afford a dedicated Ari, like Ricky's got. Basically, Ari's entire job is Ricky. Not saying she isn't worth it, but she seems pretty sharp, and that kind of talent and dedication ain't cheap.

Since most of the top players are going to the same places it might also be possible to have a team manager working with a few players at the same time.

If I understood the Terry Miller interview correctly, she did engage lawyers at their expense for the actual contract. Agreed that it might be above her grade if she's tackling solo, but she recognized the need and responded appropriately. That's the value of a good manager, knowing when to ask for the right help. I came away more impressed by her than I was expecting. She's genuinely sharp.

From the interview, it seems that Ricky is paying her to be his 2nd mommy.

It is sad to see Chris leave but i understand. Prodigy seems to be building around KJ and that is their choice. I will say Chris will thrive where ever he goes and he will always be a favorite player of mine. He is such a good dude and I wish him all the best

Since most of the top players are going to the same places it might also be possible to have a team manager working with a few players at the same time.

Pretty much my point. Allows players to share that sponsor funded resource, which makes it more cost effective for the sponsoring manufacturer.

This could provide a competitive advantage in attracting the best/most marketable players or young stars with greatest potential.

Last edited:
Kevin is a way more visible and marketable player, however.

^This. Chris and Kevin are pretty much at a the same skill/talent level, in that group (along with Conrad and maybe a couple of others) immediately behind the 1050 boys.

But KJUSA plays in more events, maintains more of a presence, and is more visible than Robot Chicken. Bottom line is KJ is simply more marketable, so he should get paid more.

i think dickerson is a better bet to win another major before kevin jones winning his first.

especially if he does a legitimate tour schedule

i'd rather spend my money on that.

IMO, Dickerson is more consistent, but KJ can go off on a run and play some stellar golf.

Basically, either getting a big win wouldn't surprise me.

The OTB exposure was great for KJ's brand and influence. A lot of his success and appeal isnt tied to his tourney finishes. Folks like him.

KJUSA & C-Dick are both exceptional players, but if it were a showdown betwixt those two, my money would be on Chris.
Sorry Bogey.:D

At this point I don't know if "stuck in a bad contract" exists? Ricky, Dickerson, and Hailey all walked away. Nikko was apparently mutual, but him not announcing anything new yet surely doesn't come across as mutual.

There might be a few others that have left prematurely?

I think the big lesson to be learned is pretty much everything is negotiable. During the sponsorship episode of the Upshot I was fairly impressed with how Uli talked about structuring deals that made sense for the individual players. Hokom talked a bit about an NDA. I'd expect not all sponsors take it that far, but if you're trying to assess your own value or see what your peers are arranging it makes things difficult. I think you'll see sponsors start taking the contract terms a bit more seriously so they're more thorough and clear cut in terms of termination. You'll see more third parties negotiating on behalf of the players. I think that's quite far from a labor union at this point, but I could see players wanting something like that to help leverage down the road.

Big picture I think this is unfortunately going to split the pro field into two distinct groups, if it's not already there. The true disc golf professionals and the ones who make a little bit of money playing disc golf. As that gap widens I think it'll be tougher for players to make that jump into the upper echelon.

Isnt this what Paul (iirc, correct me WHEN I am wrong) tried some years back? Some kind of Disc Golf Agency where pros would have professional agents doing this kind of work for them?

^This. Chris and Kevin are pretty much at a the same skill/talent level, in that group (along with Conrad and maybe a couple of others) immediately behind the 1050 boys.

But KJUSA plays in more events, maintains more of a presence, and is more visible than Robot Chicken. Bottom line is KJ is simply more marketable, so he should get paid more.

I think the reason KJ is more marketable is because he is more outgoing while Dickerson seems shy, quiet, introverted.

I would love to see Chris having fun and goofing around a bit where we can get to know him more, but if he is very uncomfortable showing that side then I don't think he will reach his full potential marketability wise.

I would love to see Chris having fun and goofing around a bit where we can get to know him more, but if he is very uncomfortable showing that side then I don't think he will reach his full potential marketability wise.

I think Dickerson has grown in this area over the past year. He participated in multiple OTB Skins matches, as well as multiple episodes of the Jomez Putting Game recently. He seems to be getting more comfortable on camera. While he may not be as affable as KJUSA, he is still definitely marketable.

I think the reason KJ is more marketable is because he is more outgoing while Dickerson seems shy, quiet, introverted.

i have seen chris on one of the practice rounds with uli and jerm and even in the jomez putting comps and he seemed like he could ham it up. KJ gives me that bro vibe, which i my age i tend to avoid. i understand how sponsors would lean more toward the bro vibe over laid back though.

Latest posts