• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] The most overstable Nuke ?

captain jack

* Ace Member *
I am a little disappointed in the stability of my new Z Nuke.
First, this Z plastic feels softer than my older Z Flick does, and after only a few tree hits , it seems to have become less stable than it was before.

I really like this disc,it bombs FH for me, but I would like one a little more over stable to begin with, and more durable as well.
In other words, I'm looking for the high mileage Nuke.

There seems to be a bunch of Nukes now, ESP, Elite Z, Cryztal Z, Elite X, as well as Nuke + molds.

Those of you that have thrown the different versions, which one is the most overstable, and durable ?

I've thrown only an ESP and I can't compare it's stability to a Z. But as far as durability goes ESP Nukes are probably the least durable ESP that Discraft makes. I heard it's something to keep the weight legal with that wide of a rim the plastic is less dense.

I had fun throwing it but don't think I'd recommend the ESP variety.

ESP is going to be more overstable than the Z. Even the ESP runs though seem to beat in faster than other ESP. The Z Nukes are slightly less stable to begin with and will pretty much stay that way. The CryZtals should be similar to the Zs. The Xs were made to beat in faster. So, all of that to say, get an ESP at a heavy weight and hope you don't hit too many trees.

arent the first run z's the most overstable?

Last edited:
I haven't thrown one, but what about the glow Nukes. Glow plastic always seems to be a little more on the stable side.

Go somewhere you can handle the discs, or call a reputable retailer and find a Z nuke with the highest PLH. I have seen a couple which are significantly higher than what I throw. That or get a nuke+ off ebay.

And I pick Z so it stays in the sweet spot longer.

I saw a guy a few months ago who had a Z or Crystal, cannot remember which one, Nuke+. It was rather overstable and basically reminded me of Champion Boss, at least in the hands of someone who could throw one. I got a close look at it but I never got a chance to throw it because we were in the middle of a tournament.

I have a buddy who has a clear Crystal Nuke. I am surprised he was willing to throw it because the rough was knee high grass. Beautiful disc, wish I had one but he bought the last one from GGGT when they had them in, but I would definitely be afraid to throw it for fearing of losing it. Thankfully he is a very good and accurate spotter. Again, I did not have a chance to throw it personally but I did see him throw it after a regular first run Z Nuke. The Z he would release with a slight anhyzer and let fly in a long but flat S Curve. The Crystal he would just lay straight into it with everything he had. That disc had no turn, hinting at a great amount of high speed stability, but did not fade hard until it absolutely ran out of speed at the end of its flight. Reminded me a lot of a longer, faster, and slightly beaten in Star Boss.

As for ESPs, I had two from when they were first released last winter. They sucked big time for durability. I received another one during a tournament in June, but only because I was forced to take one Discraft and one Innova. At the time I really wanted two Star Wraiths with that tournament logo. While I was very cautious throwing this ESP Nuke, in my hands it did seem stronger, tougher, and more durable. Maybe they fixed the blend mid-year to fix the durability issue, but this newer run at least feels better. I might have given it more throws if I had not gotten into the Z Nukes which came out two weeks later and then started concentrated more on driving longer with Fairway drivers like the TeeBird and the River. Now I am working on the Flows which have a stability somewhere in between Z and ESP Nukes and Lat's plastics in most cases have far superior grip and durability. I still have this ESP Nuke sitting in my garage along with an ESP Force I want to test out.

Too bad I have to wait until the snow is gone and it is safe to throw 20-30 discs during field practice.

They actually make a Nuke+ which is the most stable version. I have a 2010 PDGA Am World Championships Nuke+ in Sparkle Z plastic. It has a bead on it as well.

Talk to Hysell about this he is sponsored and uses the Nuke as a go to driver.

Had two esp's that didn't start out as stable as my z, I agree they get beat to hell pretty quick too.

I got a Z Nuke thats pretty stable. It can still turnover but can handle a little bit of anny. As far as durability it wears pretty slow, i also dont ever hit trees with it because i dont throw it in wooded holes. I dont see the point, to me its more of an open field down hill bomber.

I read somewhere that the z nuke had to be made out of different z plastic so it would make weight.

I don't know if it's true...i just know mine isn't that durable (it's a 1st-run z)

Last edited:
the nuke+/nuke x/king is the most overstable nuke. As for the esp and z nukes,the z nukes had to be tweaked to be able to get the weight down. The depth was decreased a tad to make the weight in z nukes.

Talk to Hysell about this he is sponsored and uses the Nuke as a go to driver.

I haven't thrown the glow Z or a cryztal yet but the Z Nukes do not have the satbility of the 1st Run ESP's. I carry 2 of the 1st runs and they are yellow and green and have retained their stability since I put them in my bag. These two are 173g. I put a 168 ESP in my bag also and it has already started to flip. I have been told that some of the white tournament stamped ones from 2010 are very stable. I haven't thrown them yet but I will in 2011.