• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] The Ninja

I saw the image of the Ninja at Marshall Street, and the disc said it's not intended for PDGA play. Does that mean it has only not yet recieved offical PDGA approval from the tech standards @ PDGA? Or does this mean that it has been rejected?

I saw the image of the Ninja at Marshall Street, and the disc said it's not intended for PDGA play. Does that mean it has only not yet recieved offical PDGA approval from the tech standards @ PDGA? Or does this mean that it has been rejected?

Denied, it's wing is over the PDGA tolerance. The only way it would ever be allowed is by the PDGA increasing the limitations currently in place. Which could be a possibility as disc technology advances.

Denied, it's wing is over the PDGA tolerance. The only way it would ever be allowed is by the PDGA increasing the limitations currently in place. Which could be a possibility as disc technology advances.
I doubt it. Those wing limitations are only a few years old.

Discs like the Boss, Katana, Nuke, etc. are making most of the courses around MUCH more easier and in response to these high speed discs we need to make the courses longer and longer but the only problem is we don't have the space for this. If you look at a multi use park now with disc golf in it most of these courses are now considered to be a "pitch and putt". We already struggle with not having enough land for most disc golf courses and these discs are pushing us more and more towards a ball golf direction with more pay to play and private courses. I don't think the sport is ready for this just quite yet.

Awesome point sillybizz! That's why I imagine those limitation are in place- not to hold back inovation (though I don't consider a larger wing innovation).

Discs like the Boss, Katana, Nuke, etc. are making most of the courses around MUCH more easier and in response to these high speed discs we need to make the courses longer and longer but the only problem is we don't have the space for this. If you look at a multi use park now with disc golf in it most of these courses are now considered to be a "pitch and putt". We already struggle with not having enough land for most disc golf courses and these discs are pushing us more and more towards a ball golf direction with more pay to play and private courses. I don't think the sport is ready for this just quite yet.

word.

we have a couple woodsy courses in our area that won't tolerate these fast drivers. the fairways are too narrow and the ceilings too low. it's sad but the guys with big arms but little control don't even play these courses. they have no middle ground in their game. it's all d or it's nothing. that mentality is bad for this game. i truly cannot understand why someone thinks it's beneficial to their game to throw a 350' s-curve with a katana but can't get a leopard 300' on a straight line. or even 275....

The person throwing a Katana 350' shouldn't be throwing a Katana anyway. That's speed 10 or less country.

...good post, i agree wholeheartedly

...good post, i agree wholeheartedly

I only say this because I have a lot of local courses to pick from, all different in their own ways.

On those open deuce or die course where the rec players can now reach many of them with Ninja like discs, let them have it.

When it comes to serious competition, how many courses have you seen that really need to get longer? Most of the big tournaments around here still require a good amount of technical shots where distance may shave off two or three throws max, but missing a line or getting a bad bounce off a tree is going to add three or four throws.

Any Rec player that eventually wants to compete is most likely going to do some homework and realize the importance of control, consistency, keeping it in the fairway, and the need for a great approach and putt game. Hopefully they will naturally move away from Ninja like discs and back down to earth with TeeBirds, Wraiths, Destroyers, Surges, Predators, etc.

I am sorry but I see complaining about needing longer courses as more of big arm players feeling insecure about rec players getting closer to their drives and thus the need to have longer holes to put those rec players back in their place, at least on the score card.

Then again, I am speaking this because I have everything pitch and putt courses to big bomber courses around me. I do see how it can be a different matter if there are only one, two, or three local courses nearby and you do need something that can challenge those who take the sport seriously.

since this thread has already been hijacked a few times

ninjaskilledmyfamily.jpg

I wonder if Innova will just stomp out any hype over the Ninja and just say "What? Too much of a noodle arm that the Katana doesnt help you? R-Pro Boss Neither? Dont waste your time with a disc that not PDGA approved! Introducing the R-Pro Katana!!!!"