• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Time to get out the ribbons, put the DX on the porch

Well it was 73 yesterday so we got to play spring type golf. Of course its 36 and raining today so I will probably skip glow tonight. My buddy and I decided that cold, wet and dark are okay if you only combine 2 of them. Put all 3 together and I am likely to stay home.

I have to say I am jealous of those who don't need ribbons to play in winter. Playing right on the shores of lake Erie it can get really bad like 3 foot of red ribbon bad. I just laugh sometimes after I finish a round and walk past hole 9 and my footprints are gone:)

I'm using 3.5 ft long ribbons (because that's how wide my kitchen table is).
Played in about 8" of powdery snow Sunday, and there were times only a few inches of ribbon were visible in the snow.

FTFY
Snow + cold + dark >Wet + I don't care what else

Last edited:
Played in about 8" of powdery snow Sunday, and there were times only a few inches of ribbon were visible in the snow.

Yes sometimes if the snow is straight power 4 foot of ribbon isn't enough. Usually during January the snowpack sets up a little bit and the disc doesn't dive as far under. And when walking on the snow pack you might get lucky and only sink half way down or even stay on the crust if it's thick enough that's always welcome :). I remember trying to play after our snowvember storm(2014) 7 feet of snow in 38 hours the parks 30.000 pound hi lift was having a problem handle the job of clearing the entrance and lot if I remember correctly the state brought in the big boy H-Series snow bower vehicle it's a beast 5000 ton of snow per hour throwing it as far as 200':)

No ribbons - found this guy hiding.

IMG_3578.jpg

Nooo. You put tape on while discs are warm. Let them sit for a bit. Then leave them outside before you throw, so snow doesn't stick to them.

what do you guys recommend for ribbon material? how do you attach it ?

what do you guys recommend for ribbon material? how do you attach it ?

I think I prefer 1/4" cloth ribbon as mentioned. But something that I have used, that is often readily available for many of us, or very cheap from the thrift store, is cassette tape ribbon. Some seems to be much more brittle than other (might have to do with age, or brand, or quality of tape?). Once you find one that works, it comes in its own little dispenser, it's very light weight, so minimum drag, each dispenser has hundreds of feet, and you can tie on extra pieces when it breaks. Disadvantages, it's not as durable as cloth ribbon, it's not as visible - usually only comes in brown that matches dead blades of grass (I might imagine there's other colors?) .

Yes sometimes if the snow is straight power 4 foot of ribbon isn't enough. Usually during January the snowpack sets up a little bit and the disc doesn't dive as far under. And when walking on the snow pack you might get lucky and only sink half way down or even stay on the crust if it's thick enough that's always welcome :). I remember trying to play after our snowvember storm(2014) 7 feet of snow in 38 hours the parks 30.000 pound hi lift was having a problem handle the job of clearing the entrance and lot if I remember correctly the state brought in the big boy H-Series snow bower vehicle it's a beast 5000 ton of snow per hour throwing it as far as 200':)

I didn't make it out in that one. After being stuck at work for 3 days, finally making it to a friend's house for the next few days, then getting home in time to shovel all of that off the roof before it could cave in, I didn't think I would be able to find the baskets anymore. Those big blowers were super impressive.

I made it out to play at Como yesterday, didn't put on any ribbons since it was that nice crunchy snow, only had one time where I searched for a disc for more than a minute. If there's any fresh snow soon, the ribbons will definitely be coming out.

Whoo! When that rain hits this afternoon it's going to drop to 58. Better bundle up.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ventura.png
    ventura.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 138
We played BEP Tuesday. We were the first ones out this year, in about 12 inches of powder...FRESH TRACKS!

Instead of wrapping ribbon, this year I taped yellow hi-vis fishing line to the bottom of my discs, with duct tape. Worked like a charm. Although, with my 56 yr old eyes, the line was harder for me to spot than ribbon. I think next trip, I'll try a heavier line, say 20#. I used 8# this time.

Part of the problem with me seeing the line may have been due to conditions. It was bright and sunny all day. The line was easier to see in the shadow in the woods.

better idea...not duct or Gorilla tape...use hockey tape, the stuff is made for wet/cold conditions.

We played BEP Tuesday. We were the first ones out this year, in about 12 inches of powder...FRESH TRACKS!

Instead of wrapping ribbon, this year I taped yellow hi-vis fishing line to the bottom of my discs, with duct tape. Worked like a charm. Although, with my 56 yr old eyes, the line was harder for me to spot than ribbon. I think next trip, I'll try a heavier line, say 20#. I used 8# this time.

Part of the problem with me seeing the line may have been due to conditions. It was bright and sunny all day. The line was easier to see in the shadow in the woods.

I caution the use of fish line. I have heard of a couple incidents of ribbon getting caught around a finger during throws. The ribbon in one case doing some damage.....fishing line could be infinitely worse.

How about 6 inches of ribbon tied to the end of the fishing line?