• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

tips on best way to beat in a disc

Pete Kwaz

Birdie Member
Okay so I bought a new champion 175 teebird the other week to replace my old 175 champ teebird I had had for a little over a year but lost a month ago. I got to throw it for the first time today and the thing is more overstable than where I'd like it to be. I know that if I just keep playing with it and hitting trees and skip it off roads and what not it will eventually get to where the old one was but I'm kind of impatient. I loved where the old one was in its life. It was beat in to that point where I could throw it dead straight and if I cranked on it for a drive it would s curve out and grab some serious D. In other words, it was the perfect disc. So does anyone have any tips on how to quickly beat in a disc without mutilating it or is this something that will just have to take time.

I think I heard some one once say that throwing forehand and rollers helps beat in a disc more. I understand the roller part but forehand as opposed to backhand?

How to beat-in a disc:

Step 1: Pick up 12 pack from the store.

Step 2: Only bring the disc that you want to beat in quicker to play the course.

Step 3: Play until the sun goes down or until the beer is gone.

Step 4: Repeat steps 1-3 until the disc gets "beat-in" to your liking.

How to beat-in a disc:

Step 1: Pick up 12 pack from the store.

Step 2: Only bring the disc that you want to beat in quicker to play the course.

Step 3: Play until the sun goes down or until the beer is gone.

Step 4: Repeat steps 1-3 until the disc gets "beat-in" to your liking.

I like this option. Of course I may pass out a few time in this process...

There's a hole at a local course where the basket is in front of a raquetball court. The wall is solid concrete. Get about 150 feet out from it and throw hard. You're either hitting basket or concrete.

I really have found trees in the first 75 feet of your drive and throwing at 80-90% with a direct hit break in a disc quickly. This hole is my favorite break-in hole.

I could swear I heard throwing overhands help...not sure how though. I think I heard about rollers helping too. Personally though I'd say find a course/hole with lots of trees and possibly some rocks and hope you hit them. Or even better yet give it to my buddy, his first 5 throws with his dx teebird hit trees so he sharpied a R between the T and E on the disc.

I like to skip my new discs down the street to rough 'em up a bit. The rougher the asphalt the better. It really helps in getting a new disc to fly the way I want it.

I used to throw discs into a large smooth boulder on the course to beat them in but now I just throw them and do lots of field practice.

throw over hand rollers and low thumbers try to skip it of the lid disc will break in quick that and chains

I have heard that throwing them into trees/walls/etc will chip away at HSS more than LSS. I take new ones to a field and throw the hell out of 'em, you can get 5 rounds worth of wear onto them in around an hour or so doing that. Spike hyzers are good for unstiffening, and if there's juniper bushes or some other kind of dense shrub nearby, firing into those will work on it gradually too.

Another thing to remember about Champ Teebirds is that the plastics don't all fly the same. If you've got one that's clear with a low dome, it's going to be beefy. The opaque champ plastic is less overstable and has more glide, but doesn't handle headwinds as well.

Buy more than one replacement and start throwing both of them equally. That way your game isn't completely shot until you beat in another disc the next time.

By the way, love the avatar chiggins. Lucy really does a great job laying out those doughnuts...for all of three people.

Last edited:
I ran a disc over with my car one time...it beat it in pretty good ;) Allthough, i would not try it...something will probly go wrong.

Buy more than one replacement and start throwing both of them equally. That way your game isn't completely shot until you beat in another disc the next time.

By the way, love the avatar chiggins. Lucy really does a great job laying out those doughnuts...for all of three people.

Make sense to me. I think forced beating in of a disc may cause for rapid changes in flight paths that are difficult to adjust to. Having a few molds of the one you like at different levels of wear will help with that.

What about putting the disc into the washing machine for five or six cycles with some tennis shoes?
I haven't done it but it seems like it would work. Have to use cold/warm water of course.

One of the benefits to being a bad player is that you can just play a round and your disc is pretty well beat-in.