• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] To catch a Predator

Sure, but in the Predator you can choose to have your finger on/off the crosshatching. . .the Raptor dont give you that choice.

i like the crosshatching for FH but have my fingers in a smooth place for BH

But the outside of the rim feel nice on the Raptor ( and Vulture ) . . both the Pred and the Anax has quite a sharp outer rim.

Finger on it?

Not me.

Can't stand touching anything with my FH.

If the weather permitting me to throw i will be field testing a few Discraft Fairways this weekend.

The Discs.

Flat 172g Z-Predator
Domey 167g Z-Predator
Slight dome 167g ESP-Predator

172g Proto Anax
174g First Run Anax

174g Z-Raptor

CryZtal Vulture
Big-Z Vulture
Tour Series ESP Vulture
Ti Vulture
First run Z-Vulture

174g Z-undertaker
173g ESP Undertaker
174g Ti Undertaker
164g Tie-dye Z-Undertaker

If the weather permitting me to throw i will be field testing a few Discraft Fairways this weekend.

The Discs.

Flat 172g Z-Predator
Domey 167g Z-Predator
Slight dome 167g ESP-Predator

172g Proto Anax
174g First Run Anax

174g Z-Raptor

CryZtal Vulture
Big-Z Vulture
Tour Series ESP Vulture
Ti Vulture
First run Z-Vulture

174g Z-undertaker
173g ESP Undertaker
174g Ti Undertaker
164g Tie-dye Z-Undertaker

How has the weather been there?

I'm slowly kicking innova molds out of my bag. Next step is replacing my Champ firebird with a z predator. Seems like a mostly seem less transition based on what I've read here. What I'm still not so sure of is whether this beat ESP predator I can pick up from a friend will be a decent replacement for the S OLF I throw in my bag on days I know I'll need a longer teebird shot. Anyone have experience with this? I didn't like how this new ESP undertaker I picked up flew.

I'm slowly kicking innova molds out of my bag. Next step is replacing my Champ firebird with a z predator. Seems like a mostly seem less transition based on what I've read here. What I'm still not so sure of is whether this beat ESP predator I can pick up from a friend will be a decent replacement for the S OLF I throw in my bag on days I know I'll need a longer teebird shot. Anyone have experience with this? I didn't like how this new ESP undertaker I picked up flew.

I'm not really sure on the OLF to beat ESP Pred, but Predators of all sorts definitely seem to beat in well. I don't know if the pseudo-bead may have something to do with that.

I've always been skeptical when people try to go between Champ Firebird and Z Predator. There are too many differences in every way. Yes, they're a natural parallel in that they have been the staple meathook speed 9 of the two biggest manufacturers for a long time. But the parallels end there. The Pred has a ton more glide, which can be a plus (and maybe another reason they beat in so well) but means they don't always work for the same lines. The grip is also very different, so it's hard to switch between them and people will have definite preferences for the feel of one over the other, even if it's just forehand or just backhand. The Firebird skip game is also way stronger or at least more user friendly.

That, of course, is my opinion. But depending on how you use your Firebird, I believe there are other Discraft molds to investigate first when looking for a "Firebird replacement."

The only Pred I've seen him throwing was at The Open at Belton and it was a big Z.

It was one of the first few holes at Waco I forget which (2 or 4?), but he was throwing a pink Z Metallic Pred from the new Ledgestone run. Threw it on one of the woody holes too. But yes he was also throwing that blue Big Z

i got a (white)swirly z with a cool dye job last year. i really want to like it, but it isn't like the other 2 preds i've thrown; the hss just isn't there & has way too much turn, then a big fade when it slows down. but if i put hyzer on it, it doesn't flip up, so really no way to get it to go straight.

i got a (white)swirly z with a cool dye job last year. i really want to like it, but it isn't like the other 2 preds i've thrown; the hss just isn't there & has way too much turn, then a big fade when it slows down. but if i put hyzer on it, it doesn't flip up, so really no way to get it to go straight.

Sounds like how my beat in Pred flies, a little turn but still reliable fade. Interested to see it if you'd be willing to trade.

Not surprised to hear Dickerson throws preds. The FX2 is very pred like.

I'm surprised more people don't throw these. I know the rim can turn some folks off, but they fly so good. I've got four in the bag now, they range from thunderbird to, well predator. The softer domey ones fly 9 5 -.5 3 for me new and the stiff flat ones 9404. Obviously Nate Doss proved they can be beat to go straight too.

I'm surprised more people don't throw these. I know the rim can turn some folks off, but they fly so good. I've got four in the bag now, they range from thunderbird to, well predator. The softer domey ones fly 9 5 -.5 3 for me new and the stiff flat ones 9404. Obviously Nate Doss proved they can be beat to go straight too.

I cycled them a long time. I had a Z pred (my avatar actually) that started booting my XLs it started straightening out so much I am a dummy and traded it and a bunch of other good preds after I came back from an accidental break from playing much. The Anax is a great replacement for beat in preds though.

Pred cycle is the way

I cycled them a long time. I had a Z pred (my avatar actually) that started booting my XLs it started straightening out so much I am a dummy and traded it and a bunch of other good preds after I came back from an accidental break from playing much. The Anax is a great replacement for beat in preds though.

I'm cycling preds currently. I bag five, from almost unusably overstable(Flx sparkle Z "preadator") to an old yellow Z that flips when thrown full power and has no interest in fighting back.

I find myself snapping up used preds whenever I can and sorting them by stability for backup duty. I'm finally at a point where I no longer worry about losing one of the five in the bag. I can pull another of similar stability off the shelf now and be fine. I'll definitely be picking up an anax now though to see how it compares!

Once they stopped making Esp... I bailed.. loved those flat stiff preds.

Jumped on the Raptors when they came out and been in the bag since.

Holding up the Anax next to a Pred the Anax looks almost identical but without that little bead thing on the bottom.

Holding up the Anax next to a Pred the Anax looks almost identical but without that little bead thing on the bottom.

Hold it up to a DGA Tsunami (which is rumored to be the OG pred mold) and its even closer. Paul was throwing tsunamis before his line released. I think most anax are slightly less domey than most Anax, but I struggle to see more of a difference.

Predators have been my go to since 2014 or so. Initially picked one up to fill the overstable fairway slot, but that slot isn't what the predator magic is all about. I still bag the very first one I bought. 2013 elite z w/huk stamp. It has served my well for 8 years now. It's hyper flip to straight, considerable amount of turn without dumping, and as long as the wind is down, it will gradually come back to the left. I bag 4 to fill most any shot I need, but I still bag a Firebird. My most overstable predator serves to use for my straighter pred shots when the wind is up, but not for a meathook. It cannot compete with a Firebird as far as I'm concerned. Preds have a huge low speed fade, but I plenty of high speed turn and glide when seasoned slightly. I can push them past 500 (Nearly as far as my wraiths) but I throw them consistently on 425' or so actual golf shots. With a little bit of time, it's closer to a thunderbird with more fade than it is a Firebird. The only downside to bagging predators is you MUST be willing to build a good sized stash. New runs are not equal and they're getting a bit pricier.