• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

top 10 courses

do the top rated only apply to US courses or is it just courses outside the US have not been reviewed enough? You'd have thought Jarva or some of the other Scandinavian courses would/could have hit the top 25 lists.

Answered my own question, the Finns have no courses with more than 5 reviews...

It's a lot harder to get reviews on courses where English isn't the native language. Many of us are restricted in traveling about our own country.

It's a lot harder to get reviews on courses where English isn't the native language. Many of us are restricted in traveling about our own country.

Hmm, interesting thought. If someone made an account and reviewed all of those courses, but wrote the reviews in Finnish, would you consider them helpful?

Hmm, interesting thought. If someone made an account and reviewed all of those courses, but wrote the reviews in Finnish, would you consider them helpful?

Sure - that's what Google translate is for. It'd probably work well enough.

To weigh in on the Idlewild discussion, it certainly is a course that is passionately loved and at the same time often claimed to be overrated. It may be the course that hits both extremes of opinions the most, although we do see this with a lot of the top courses (Flip City, Bucksnort, etc.). For me, the highs of the course far outweighed any lows (sometimes a lack of seclusion, the more straight-forward lettered holes). The championship-level play and some amazing, unique holes like 2, 3, 11, and 16 are my memories of the course. I'm indifferent about the turf greens and mixed baskets.

One thing I'm curious about though is that Idlewild was my first top ten course and I wonder how much of my initial enjoyment was tainted by knowing how highly ranked it was. I played it around a year after picking up disc golf. I currently have it ranked ahead of great courses like Whippin' Post, Moraine, Brakewell Steel, and Harmon Hills, but I'm curious if I'd notch it down a few spots if I went back.

Just another opinion. I'm looking forward to getting back and seeing if the course would be a little underwhelming after playing many other top courses around the country.

Do you think someone who only knows Finnish (or at the least doesn't know English) finds all of the ones written in English helpful?

For him or her, probably not.

It's not really that. Most of us Finns are fluent in English, the problem is we already have a site (frisbeegolfradat.fi) like this one in Finnish, so people mainly use that one. I can do my small bit and review courses I've played, though :thmbup:

Tim just needs to send a Diamond TR on a European DG tour! :D

*ponders idea of creating a Go Fund Me page*

One thing I'm curious about though is that Idlewild was my first top ten course and I wonder how much of my initial enjoyment was tainted by knowing how highly ranked it was. I played it around a year after picking up disc golf. I currently have it ranked ahead of great courses like Whippin' Post, Moraine, Brakewell Steel, and Harmon Hills, but I'm curious if I'd notch it down a few spots if I went back.

I first played Idlewild about 6 years ago when it was #1 rated and only 18 holes and have since played it 3 others times. I dislike the last half of 5 thru 9 and hole F but with over 18
great holes overall, I upped my rating to a 5.

I haven't been to Whipping Post since '99, Warwick (Brakewell Steel) is in my top 5, Harmon's original 18 was great. I'd include Flip, Sabattus, Deer Lakes, Moraine, Burchfield's Devils Den and WR Jackson in my top 10.

I've played 6 of the current top 7 and 9 of the current top 17, and I think that Idlewild is Top 10 worthy on the strength of its design alone. Amenities are nice, but aesthetic beauty and the golf itself are my two biggest considerations in what makes a great course. Idlewild plays like a Top 10 course, even if it may not be the "total package" like some of the others listed.

You, young man, have played enough top courses to have your opinion count!

Latest posts