• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top Courses of 2014

it continues to make me sad that my local course, New Quarter Park, fell off the top 50 list a few years back and never returned. I have played milo, dela and a few other truly premier places and think new quarter can give them all a run for their money

New Quarter is a great course
in my top list

Haven't finished the entire thread yet, so if I'm repeating something I'm sorry -- but it is interesting that 31 out of the top 50 courses are pay to play.

A few others aren't pay-to-play, but are private and accept donations. In other words, you don't have to pay to play, but you probably should.

It's not surprising, and tends to be even more pronounced at the very top of the rankings.

You of all people should know some of the best courses in NC are now extinct or just never listed.
Yea, I heard Boylan Family Farm in Laurel Springs was awesome twenty years ago.

it continues to make me sad that my local course, New Quarter Park, fell off the top 50 list a few years back and never returned. I have played milo, dela and a few other truly premier places and think new quarter can give them all a run for their money

It is one of my favorites and though I have only played the game for a year, I have played a few courses and think it is the best of those. I think the beef some people have is the lack of a water feature. I have also heard that people complain about the lack of elevation changes. New Quarter does some remarkable things for a park in the heart of the Coastal Plain. And of course it is a public park with a pro shop. :) I am interested to see how Waller Mill pans out, the 9 holes I played a couple weeks ago were nice enough that I paid for the year.

Try to be happy, maybe it will keep the traffic down and you get to enjoy a gem of a course without a bunch of people mucking things up. Happy I got a chance to play there, twice, on my trip to Virginia Beach. It made my personal favorite courses for sure. :thmbup:

Overall - 3/50 and 2014 Only - 7/50
Interesting that Hawk Hallow is still in the top 20 when there's only been two reviewed since 2012. Probably because it's private and there's not much more to say - truly a spectacular and unique place.

Right now, 8 of top 10 and 25 of 50

Planning May trip to Portland. That will knock out 4 more of the top 50...Horning's Hideout, Milo McIver, Whistlers Bend and Shelton Springs, WA.

I've been looking at IDGC in GA also. That trip would include Stoney Hill (I haven't reached out to the Sauls' yet). This looks to have a strong mix for a 12-15 course trip. I've played Flyboy but if back in area I would reach out for another opportunity. I gather there is a "viper" layout? Not sure about this.

If Bear was a stand alone course... it'd be top 50 fjord sjord!
It'd get more play and maintenance, causing the rough to dwindle away, leaving the course friendly and cuddly like a Cub :p

:thmbup:
I was a big fan of Bear. It's clearly underrated. Is it rustic and "bushy"?...yes. Should you have a spotter?...absolutely. Is it challenging, calculated and brutal...hell yea!

Maple Hill
was number 1 for a bit. that was a funny month lol

Maple Hill is probably my favorite overall course. So many options. Awesome terrain...water, elevation, density and vastness. All within 4 layouts.

If I recall correctly, you played after the devastating ice storm years ago.

I suggest you give it another round...with an open mind.

Maple Hill is probably my favorite overall course. So many options. Awesome terrain...water, elevation, density and vastness. All within 4 layouts.

If I recall correctly, you played after the devastating ice storm years ago.

I suggest you give it another round...with an open mind.

Chill out I liked Maple Hill
I was referring to the first 10-15 reviewd which were all zero content but all 5s and how the Idlewilders and Flip City guys all went nuts

It was great theatre

SO, i have played 27/50. I thought i had more :confused: apparently i am not Martin Dewgarita!! :| :| :\

4/50...... Jeesh

So.... looking back at it.... kind of hard to believe that only 1/50 is in NC? KY represents with 3/50.... I am guessing that it won't be long before coyote trace near Louisville falls in that top 50.

edit: 2014 has 3/50 for NC

Last edited: