• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tornado Strikes Winthrop Gold (Pictures)

Amadeus

Banned
Last night, presumably a Tornado touched down on Winthrop Gold and took a few nasty chunks out of it. I took some pictures after riding through this morning...whatever it was...it wasn't friendly. :thmbdown:

Hole 8:

DSCF3316.jpg

DSCF3314.jpg

DSCF3317.jpg

Hole 1:

DSCF3322-1.jpg

Wow! That's crazy! The wind was definetely whipping around in south charlotte early morning. Sucks to see all that :(

Knowing the grounds keepers at Winthrop and their meticulous dedication to perfection I'm sure they will replace as many trees as possible and clean it up shortly. It's also safe to say that #8 is going to be significantly easier. I really hate this happened to our championship course.

You're the guy that made that video, aren't you?

gee what gave that away......

we have that happen often up here and around the midwest. just be glad it didnt take any baskets out with falling trees.

I hope the golden rope is okay. It would be a mess if the tornado hit the shed where they keep it. :|

I'm skeptical that it was a tornado though, I'm pretty sure that looks like that demonic duck got a hold of some Four Loko and went on a rampage. :|

I hope it does not change much. A year or two ago a tornado hit Todd Park in Minnesota point-blank. I have never played the course but seeing the before, after, and after the clean-up pictures you know that course will never be the same.

I hope the loco duck is safe...

Yeah def doesnt look like tornado damage, but is some serious wind damage. Hope its all good and your guys are quicker than the ones we have in Waco...

I don't see 'nuthin unusual. That's what most courses look like after I finish playing a round of disc golf. :popcorn:

Storm Damage

WOW....Just played winthrop last week-end & had a blast...was thinking about going back this sat.....can someone post when it's all cleaned up?:sick:

wow...didnt hear aobut that.. i know brettallen is in rock hill..hope everything is ok there way

To me it does not look like to much change to the challenge or the design of the holes. On 8, it looks like branches from up high came down but that the vast majority of of the tree trunks (the real obstacles) remain.

The exception is #4 with that Leland Cypress coming down - that makes the approach to the basket MUCH easier.

It is a shame, but when I read "tornado" in the thread title I feared much worse.

That said, Gold is so open on the majority of the course that if the course was stripped of all the trees, it would not play that much differently.

We played today and they are working on getting it cleaned up...already looked a lot better! Turns out it was a Microburst.

Or the work of that Salieri dude!

Latest posts