• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

True or False: Newbies/barneys should not write reviews

I think any reasonably intelligent person is capable of writing an objective review regardless of whether they are a noob or not. I would qualify as a noob, yet I would dare say my reviews aren't terrible. I played and reviewed a fairly difficult course (Rogers Lakewood), and got 7 ups to 1 down, because I didn't let my horrible rounds there affect my objective view of the course. Now, granted, I don't have the experience that many others do, and I haven't seen a huge array of courses, but I can still figure out if a course's flow is good or not, comment on the conditions of the tee pads, or notice if every hole favors left handers, for example.

Edit: plus, the edit function is available, so if, after the initial review, you figure out you said some idiot things, you can always go back and IMPROVE YOUR REVIEW!

Last edited:
It all comes back to the same issue. The do not get better at either writing reviews or playing without practice. So they write reviews and play.

It is our job to either help these people or get out of the way. All that has to be done is use some common sense:doh: when reading reviews. Check to see how long they have played, how many reviews written, and whether they are a trusted reviewer or not.

We were all noobs at one time. If someone stomped on your toes when you began would you still be playing. For most us the answer is "no".:wall:

The best any of us can do is "pay it forward". Someone at one time or anther helped us. Do the same in return.:clap:

Don't get me wrong. I am very helpful to beginners on the course. I never hesitate to teach people about the game. I never say no to someone who is looking for a course guide.

I like mashnuts idea where the more negative votes means the review fall towards the bottom of the list.

It already works this way if you go to the sort by: drop down and choose "most helpful".

I think any reasonably intelligent person is capable of writing an objective review regardless of whether they are a noob or not. I would qualify as a noob, yet I would dare say my reviews aren't terrible. I played and reviewed a fairly difficult course (Rogers Lakewood), and got 7 ups to 1 down, because I didn't let my horrible rounds there affect my objective view of the course. Now, granted, I don't have the experience that many others do, and I haven't seen a huge array of courses, but I can still figure out if a course's flow is good or not, comment on the conditions of the tee pads, or notice if every hole favors left handers, for example.

Edit: plus, the edit function is available, so if, after the initial review, you figure out you said some idiot things, you can always go back and IMPROVE YOUR REVIEW!

Are you suggesting limiting the newer players function abilities to a checklist, with items such as teepads and signs on it, with a box to check?

Are you suggesting limiting the newer players function abilities to a checklist, with items such as teepads and signs on it, with a box to check?

Absolutely not. That would be stupid.

Bottom line, if you see a crappy review vote it down and more importantly tell the dude why his review sucked. Some people don't know they write crappy reviews unless someone tells them.

^Thank you! I am a n00b, I think I write good reviews. I have 180 thumbs up and 4 thumbs down. Not one of those downers let me know WHY they sent me the negative thumbs. Obviously, they were just being weird because 180 other people disagree with them lol.

But seriously, in this regard, I wish Tim would add some kind of function that requires you to fill in a feedback text field before you send a 'no' thumbs. If my review is not helpful, well I would certainly like to know what was sooo unhelpful about it.

Shameless plug: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=8922#

this is why there is a "view trusted reviewers only" button.

It already works this way if you go to the sort by: drop down and choose "most helpful".

thanks, never noticed that!

Only professors and scientists should be allowed to edit Wikipedia.

Jesus does bring up a legitimate point, but at what criteria do you draw the line where an inexperienced reviewer ends and an experienced one starts? And with a good chunk of DGCR'ers falling into the inexperienced category, are we biting our own hands? To me, bad reviews are better than none.

this is why there is a "view trusted reviewers only" button.
Problem is that knocks out good reviews from people who haven't acquired 100 green thumbs yet, and leaves in not so good ones from people who have.

I keep telling you guys, TR status isn't all you some of you are cracking it up to be. If you've review a few very popular courses, getting 10, 15 even 20 votes towards your 100 off of a single review needed isn't all that hard to do, even with the revised standards.

I keep telling you guys, TR status isn't all you some of you are cracking it up to be.

Says the lowly bronze level TR :rolleyes: Wait til you see the awesomesauce that is the red DGCR mini! J/K

I think the way it is is about as good as it will get. I do like the idea of having feedback criteria for thumbdowns, maybe with one of those captcha things to annoy only the most dedicated negative nancys.

Jesus gets the "Tom Julio of the Week" award.

Ball golf courses are made for good golfers. PAR is established by pro performance. When a beginner plays golf, they typically shoot 140 or 150, because it is extremely difficult. I've never been to a golf course that was designed with beginners in mind, ever. Maybe they are out there, I just haven't seen them.

I'd thumbs down your review of beginners' golf games.

Here is your argument contextualized:

"Noobs shouldn't give low ratings because of difficulty, but pros should give low ratings because of ease"

Why is this your argument?

Because you would rather play a championship-caliber course, and you've "never seen golf courses designed for beginners, ever."

This is called taking a subjective viewpoint and complaining that everyone else doesn't see it your way.

Each person has their own experiences. They have taken the time to review the course because they have something to say. Some aren't very good at expressing themselves and some(or many) have had a bad experience and feel their low ratings are justified (see Andrew Brown Park in Coppell, TX). Everyone but me seems to hate the course because there is a good chance at losing a disc. As my review says... Seems OK to me. I can't throw it far, but I can throw it where I want to... the course was OK "to me". On the other hand, Springfield Park in Rowlett, TX has, in my opinion, no reason to exist (its under water as I write this). It's in a flood plain that only dries out in the heat of the north Texas summer. It's flat and is either part of Rowlett creek or a swamp if it's rained in the last two weeks. There are no obstacles and no fun factor. If it is dry, you are exposed to the relentless Texas summer sun.

I received thumbs down on these reviews, yet these are my experiences and opinions. Should I not be able to review a course because, in the case of Andrew Brown Park, my opinion is in the minority or in the case of Springfield Park, my opinion is too harsh?

I want as many reviews as possible on a course. There are some people that don't agree with the consensus opinion or feel strongly about the aspects of a course. I want to know about them... good or bad.

After all, had I read the reviews on Andrew Brown Park before going out to play it, I might not have had a good time playing a fun round of disc golf there.

Since Brown is unplayable is why it gets bad votes. The same reason as Rowlett

IMO unless one has played both tees they shouldn't review it without saying which tees.
It is also my pet peeve when water hazards are graded down.

And why dont I write reviews...Hmmm. Either i've played the course too often, or, not enough. There's a fine line. Also it helps having a computer handy. Trying to write a good review after a few weeks is crap. And thus Berkeley has one less bad review!

When reading a review, I always look at the number of reviews that that person has written adn take that into account. As well as their disc score they give. We all have to start someplace and I am sure my first reviews were pretty bad as well. Perhaps you should have to read a informative piecce of info that is mandatory reading before writting your first review.

Latest posts