• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

True or False: Newbies/barneys should not write reviews

Really? I think it has everything to do with course design. But hey, if you aren't concerned with the legitimacy of certain holes, thats your business.

Legitimacy? A hole is legitimate to me if it's fun to play.

If you're really worried about if a hole is "legitimate" or not based on how the pros play, well, either you're a pro or you have sucked all of the fun out of your game. :\

Legitimacy? A hole is legitimate to me if it's fun to play.

I'm not trying to be a jerkstore of nothin, but this is kind of what I am talking about. Based on what you have said here, I would have zero interest in reading a review of yours.

I'm not trying to be a jerkstore of nothin, but this is kind of what I am talking about. Based on what you have said here, I would have zero interest in reading a review of yours.

I feel the exact same way about your reviews. At least we agree about something.

In all fairness, I guess that is why this site rocks so much. People from completely different ends of the spectrum can contribute to the site, and the diversity of opinion most likely is what makes the site successful.

On what basis?

On this basis: You apparently feel the need to justify every hole's legitimacy based upon what a pro can do on that hole. Am I wrong? That's what it sounds like you're saying...

On this basis: You apparently feel the need to justify every hole's legitimacy based upon what a pro can do on that hole. Am I wrong? That's what it sounds like you're saying...

That a hole should have a legitimate route from the pad to the basket? Yeah, that's a pretty standard view, for any player that has gone beyond recreational status.

That a hole should have a legitimate route from the pad to the basket? Yeah, that's a pretty standard view, for any player that has gone beyond recreational status.

Good thing I'm a *just* a lowly recreational player, then.

I think something was lost in translation. Oh well.

lmao...I just read one of Jesus' reviews. Yeah, I changed my opinion. Let's leave the reviewing up to the pros...because this is not a good review:

"Pros: One of the nicest courses you will ever play. You would pay to play this course. I'd throw my grandmother down the steps if they would make this course permanent.Cons: Not permanent. Other Thoughts: I'm not terribly happy with the level of influence that big business has over the federal government. It is troubling, but at least we have disc golf."

Drugs probably skew some of the course reviews as well. Do you want a checklist for reviewers? I played and reviewed this course under the influence of the following substances...?

What if Valk Kid said he played and reviewed all the courses that he has while under the influence of crack? Would that instantly invalidate the quality of his reviews?

Also, I don't think you need to shoot well in order to review well. Again, you just need to remain objective and use some common sense.

It wasn't crack, it was crank!

What a terrible thread! Don't write reviews if you're not good enough, experienced enough, or well traveled enough? What a bunch of elitist crap....if you want to write a review, write a review. If you didn't like a course or a hole, say why. Some people don't like playing over water...who cares if they say, "I didn't like this hole because there was too much water..." if water doesn't bother, then you simply disregard that portion of the review...or the entire review in general.

I mean, it's not like anybody is getting paid to review courses or anything, it's just everyone's opinions....from the novice to the advanced player...

So Jesus...get over yourself:)
I mean I know that you are the greatest disc golfer on the planet and it's surely frusterating to have to socialize with all of these people who can't reach your level of greatness...and my god, I can't imagine what it must be like for someone with your depth and breadth of knowledge when it comes to course ratings to read reviews written by people who simply don't have your level of skill and disc golf accumen to be able to properly evaluate a course on your level.

What if you were a newbie, just like the person who wrote the review? Then it might be really helpful, and give you a review of the course that will match your own perspective. Yeah, those reviews aren't the ones I read for information about the course, but the beauty of this site is that you can get all kinds of different perspectives on a course and put them together to figure out if it's somewhere you want to play.

I'd have to agree 100%. A noobie will find a noobs perspective on a course more helpful and if you really hate the reviews thumb them down and don't read it. It's sort of like when a noobie asks for suggestions for first discs, some more skilled players suggest more overstable plastic. Even an overstable mid can be tough to start with. I mean heck when I first got my roadrunner I had to throw a big anhyzer on it to get a big S curve out of it. Now I toss that same disc with so much ease and so strait. Give them time and heck maybe they will go back and edit their review for the better.

Latest posts