• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trusted Reviewers

Status
Not open for further replies.
And then there were five :D

ERicJ
icon_trusted_gold.gif

Looking forward to receiving the elusive timg autographed blue/gold mini to complete the trifecta collection!

ERic

Sweet! Good work my man!

I'm still waiting on that elusive 60th (maybe even 50th) person.

well (i think) my problem is that disc golf just isn't that big in the st. louis (63031 anyway, a few more courses past that radius) area. i tell whoever i chat with to check out the site, but theres just not that many people to meet (or that many who are serious enough/sober enough to remember to check out the site), and i dont get out to play as much as i'd like to.

i've quadrupled the courses i've ever played in the last 4 months alone (for a total of 14 :rolleyes:), but i'm gonna play 3 more here in the next 2 weeks hopefully, and finish everything within a ~50 mile radius of me, so we'll see how it goes....
well keep at it and perhaps in your area you could promote the site and the sport. unless some one has something against you and is intentionally voting negative towards you. i'd say don't worry about things. just have fun playing discgolf. the internet is a strange place lol. just go out have fun and write your reviews. everyone's entitled to their thoughts including you. just be happy that you have the option to say your thoughts in your reviews weather they are good or bad. take care
-m-

And then there were five :D

ERicJ
icon_trusted_gold.gif

Looking forward to receiving the elusive timg autographed blue/gold mini to complete the trifecta collection!

ERic

Nice bro!!!!! I will throw you in the Golden Ace Thread too!!!!!

Congratulations ERicJ on your Gold TR status!!

This couldn't be earned by a more deserving person. You write great reviews.Keep up the good work, and welcome to the club!

Last edited:
I'd like to recommend that everyone should read the reviews of Donovan and DG Tourist. They write really good stuff, and you're missing out if you haven't read any of their reviews.

That's exactly what happened. Your unhelpful to helpful ratio was too high. If your new reviews get some thumbs up you'll get your medal back and it doesn't have any effect on silver, etc. Part of the formula is that your unhelpful votes can't be more than 40% of the helpfuls. You're at around 51% or so.

I like the minis.
I like the medal way more than the minis.
I like reviewing courses way more than having a medal, and my goal is to review all 80 of the courses I have played, currently I am at 63/80!!!

But...

I was once a Bronze TR, but now I am no more.

I have 121 ups, and 72 downs (I feel I write honest, informative reviews, although my style is to be more concise. I personally don't read long reviews often, as I prefer short ones.) So even though I have 121 ups, which is 49 more ups than downs, and my downs are only 37% of my total votes, I am no longer a TR because my downs are 59% of my ups. (If you leave a negative or even neutral review of a popular course, you are doomed, because it is really hard to make up those thumbs downs.)

If my calculations are correct, I need 60 straight ups with 0 downs in order to get the bronze back!!! But I only need 29 ups to get a silver (provided I have 30 different voters.)

I read some older posts on this thread forecasting this, but I guess it has not affected most of you- so I say to those who rarely get thumbs downs: Excellent Reviews!!!! and keep up the good work!!!!

Again, I like reviewing courses and I don't do it to receive a vote, and I don't shy away from lower ratings or negatives to avoid a thumbs down. I am not complaining (ok just a little), but I just really like messing with numbers and statistics.

(I also think it is funny there is "non-TR thread", I guess I will have to demote myself to that one...) :)

Concise is a problem for people looking for info to make a decision. When I travel to a city I need to know why I would choose one over another. I actually don't even look at the score until after I have read the review. That's one of the reason Timg is resistant to giving courses scores for difficulty. Course quality like difficulty is different for each person. It's good to have all of the subjective antecdotal observations. For example I look for comments that talk about how easy a course is to navigate. The course could have a great review score, but if there is one comment about it being difficult to navigate or poorly marked tees, I will look to the next closest course. I need the info!

That's exactly what happened. Your unhelpful to helpful ratio was too high. If your new reviews get some thumbs up you'll get your medal back and it doesn't have any effect on silver, etc. Part of the formula is that your unhelpful votes can't be more than 40% of the helpfuls. You're at around 51% or so.

[...]If my calculations are correct, I need 60 straight ups with 0 downs in order to get the bronze back!!! But I only need 29 ups to get a silver (provided I have 30 different voters.)

Tim, is that really right? The 40% criteria is only applied for the bronze level?

Well what I meant by that is that it wouldn't effect his ability to get a silver if he got his ratio back in line. The 40% rule is in effect globally.

i dont feel right reviewing a course unless i have played it within a few weeks or even days...many of the courses i have played are waaaay different from when i played them...sooo. i will never have as many reviews as courses played..no biggie , ty tim for an awesome site

When i post reviews on some courses i find that some locals don't like what i wrote and give me a thumbs down. oh well i don't really care what someone thinks of my review, it is what i felt about the course not what can i say to make everyone happy. my review for my home course has 4 thumbs down and one up, but i know that the locals are not the ones bashing me for that. i don't know what to say to make people happy i note all that i can about a course but still some aren't happy with it. really cay someone say your review was not helpful when that person has provided a detailed review and has played the course over 300 times? this is why the helpful thing makes no sense to me, vast experience and a detailed review = a thumbs down. i see other reviews that do not have all the (helpful info) that i put on my review and still they are somehow more helpful. like i said oh well.

Last edited:
I like the minis.
I like the medal way more than the minis.
I like reviewing courses way more than having a medal, and my goal is to review all 80 of the courses I have played, currently I am at 63/80!!!

But...

I was once a Bronze TR, but now I am no more.

I have 121 ups, and 72 downs (I feel I write honest, informative reviews, although my style is to be more concise. I personally don't read long reviews often, as I prefer short ones.) So even though I have 121 ups, which is 49 more ups than downs, and my downs are only 37% of my total votes, I am no longer a TR because my downs are 59% of my ups. (If you leave a negative or even neutral review of a popular course, you are doomed, because it is really hard to make up those thumbs downs.)

If my calculations are correct, I need 60 straight ups with 0 downs in order to get the bronze back!!! But I only need 29 ups to get a silver (provided I have 30 different voters.)

I read some older posts on this thread forecasting this, but I guess it has not affected most of you- so I say to those who rarely get thumbs downs: Excellent Reviews!!!! and keep up the good work!!!!

Again, I like reviewing courses and I don't do it to receive a vote, and I don't shy away from lower ratings or negatives to avoid a thumbs down. I am not complaining (ok just a little), but I just really like messing with numbers and statistics.

(I also think it is funny there is "non-TR thread", I guess I will have to demote myself to that one...) :)

i feel the same way about being doomed, i guess it is best not to review a course the way you want but the way people want to see it.

People have all kinds of criteria in their heads when they're voting on a review. Maybe they just don't agree with what was said, they don't like the course in general or they're just in a bad mood. Unfortunately I can't make everyone vote the way that is intended but for the most part the system works pretty well and if you tend to write good reviews it will be reflected in the votes and vice versa. All of us have some unhelpfuls to our name so nobody is immune.

i feel the same way about being doomed, i guess it is best not to review a course the way you want but the way people want to see it.
That's not really a good way to look at it. You might get some unhelpfuls from locals but anyone from outside of the area would certainly appreciate an honest review. For the most part, all the TRs have very good helpful to unhelpful ratios.

I agree, just venting. it is just so frustrating when you play a course and put up pics and add tournaments and do so many productive things for a course and them to have a review get bashed when i probably know the course better than almost anyone. i help clean every month and install new baskets locations and have played this spot more than 300 times, noting the bathrooms, pin locations, maps, other courses close by and still getting 4 unhelpful and only one helpful from my brother. c'mon that's ridiculous. i will keep reviewing the way i see it and not for popularity.

Status
Not open for further replies.