• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

Are we sure that this thing is going to work for OH shots? I had hoped the O-Lace would get some play with OH shots and it failed in epic ways. Are there any testers out there that have tried OH shots with the 420b mold? Are we even correct to assume that this is the 420b mold? All of that to say, I am really looking forward to trying this disc out and seeing if it can replace some things in my bag.

If it's the beefy overstable that everyone was talking about, it should work for overhands. Personally, I haven't tried it. One of my friends had the 419 project the unlace, but he never received the 420 project.

One thing I'd like to point, as well, that Nascar started out as a means to bootleg moonshine liquor. NASCAR now pays homage to its roots by allowing alcohol sponsorships (or at least they did, not 100% certain they do now). Dale, Jr.'s car was sponsored by Budweiser for many years.

Where's the outrage?

Trak

One of my favorite discs. Very unassuming disc. Nice stability rating makes for a great fairway! Does it all for me, both forehand/backhands, hyzer/anhyzer lines... I've thrown rollers with it, as well! Best part about the X-Link compound is that you don't beat the stability out of it, or it's over a longer period of time. There's never the feeling of "this is too hot. Oh wait, now it's too cold." It's always right where you want to be! The beauty of rubber is on display with the Trak!

If it's the beefy overstable that everyone was talking about, it should work for overhands. Personally, I haven't tried it. One of my friends had the 419 project the unlace, but he never received the 420 project.

This is generally true, but I have learned that not all overstable discs fit this line of thinking. I have also learned that Vibram for the most part makes discs that do not always adhere to the general rules. Thus my questioning. I have used the Ascent as a comparable OH disc to my Predator, but it isn't the same and I generally use the Predator. I still hope they come out with the OS Fairway driver but I am guessing this Four20 disc is going to tell me if Vibram will ever make a good OH disc. I love Vibram, can't get enough of what they are doing and how they are doing it. There really isn't a better company out there. Mr. Dodge is the class of the DG world if you ask me. Their team is full of good people. I can only hope to be on their team some day, I wouldn't want to be wnywhere else if I can help it. With that being said I work really hard to hold back my excitement when they bring out a new disc until I figure out what it is actually capable of.

Had my main doubles partner throw a Vibram sponsored pros' Four20 the other weekend and likened it to a Nuke OS or Firebird in terms of stability. He's my partner cause he throws a country mile and the O-lace was the perfect stability for distance for him so he said he'll be picking this up for headwinds and overhands.

This is generally true, but I have learned that not all overstable discs fit this line of thinking. I have also learned that Vibram for the most part makes discs that do not always adhere to the general rules. Thus my questioning. I have used the Ascent as a comparable OH disc to my Predator, but it isn't the same and I generally use the Predator. I still hope they come out with the OS Fairway driver but I am guessing this Four20 disc is going to tell me if Vibram will ever make a good OH disc. I love Vibram, can't get enough of what they are doing and how they are doing it. There really isn't a better company out there. Mr. Dodge is the class of the DG world if you ask me. Their team is full of good people. I can only hope to be on their team some day, I wouldn't want to be wnywhere else if I can help it. With that being said I work really hard to hold back my excitement when they bring out a new disc until I figure out what it is actually capable of.

Yeah, I see the need for caution. The X-Link is good starting point for thumbers, so there's reason to hold onto hope that it's a good OH disc. We shall see!

I want a more stable mid, I am trying an obex out. The ibex I have is a great stable/understable mid long and finishes right When flipped up. The obex seems to glide well has a little more left to right movement but will come back where the ibex will continue right if it ever starts right. Anything else been said about a "mobex"?

Compare four20 to foxbat....then complain about disc names. Just to clarify, bats flutter and don't fly very straight, and well foxes are known for their ridiculous agility and their ability to stay hidden. Not such a great name for a disc IMO

Compare four20 to foxbat....then complain about disc names. Just to clarify, bats flutter and don't fly very straight, and well foxes are known for their ridiculous agility and their ability to stay hidden. Not such a great name for a disc IMO

A foxbat refers to a type of bat, no?

Bats of the genus Pteropus, belonging to the megabat suborder, Megachiroptera, are the largest bats in the world. They are commonly known as the fruit bats or flying foxes among other colloquial names. They live in the tropics and subtropics of Asia (including the Indian subcontinent), Australia, islands off East Africa (but not mainland Africa), and a number of remote oceanic islands in both the Indian and Pacific Oceans.[1] There are at least 60 extant species in this genus.[2]

A foxbat refers to a type of bat, no?

Bats of the genus Pteropus, belonging to the megabat suborder, Megachiroptera, are the largest bats in the world. They are commonly known as the fruit bats or flying foxes among other colloquial names. They live in the tropics and subtropics of Asia (including the Indian subcontinent), Australia, islands off East Africa (but not mainland Africa), and a number of remote oceanic islands in both the Indian and Pacific Oceans.[1] There are at least 60 extant species in this genus.[2]

Or a very fast soviet interceptor.

Just a reminder, drug talk is against forum guidelines, let's keep a good thread on track.

I want a more stable mid, I am trying an obex out. The ibex I have is a great stable/understable mid long and finishes right When flipped up. The obex seems to glide well has a little more left to right movement but will come back where the ibex will continue right if it ever starts right. Anything else been said about a "mobex"?

It is going to happen before too long. After the release of the Four20 there are basically 4 more slots that Vibram is looking to fill. Mobex, Ubex, Mofwy and Ufwy.

Waiting patiently for the new Vibram "Rubber Chicken" disc....could compete well with the "Firechicken"

would love to see a vibram viper. i think a blunt nosed disc like that would be great in the rubber.

I'm going to attempt to steer the convo away from drugs, since I don't want this to get landfilled...if you check said Landfill you can see an even better disc and name that we came up with, in relation to the public opinion on two "hot button" issues.

I can, however, say this has steered me away from Vibram. I don't have any currently in the bag, but I really enjoyed the Birdie Bash I put on in 2013. Vibram is huge in Colorado, and honestly, my discussions with many of the throwers (not TalbotTrojan!) who choose Vibram hasn't been for a beefy distance driver.

I know they are in the pike, but what people really want are the OS mid and the OS fairway driver. Ascents, Traks, Obexes and Ibexes are all popular, but the Vibram throwers I know (including my wife!) feel that the OS fairway and mid would be more helpful than the OS driver. I imagine the Four 20 was more for the Vibram team than your average player...not that it won't sell, of course.

Can't wait to see a Stiletto-type disc in the hands of people who bought it for the novelty factor.

This move just reeks (pun intended). I too am steered away from Vibram discs.

Name aside, my guess is that this move is a response to those who were disappointed that the OLace wasn't was beefy as the tester. Given that they'd already done the legwork, that mold was easy to relese, so, voila.

I'm just disappointed that, with such a minimal lineup and such a slow pace of releases over the past couple years, Vibram would choose to release such a niche disc that overlaps so much with its existing lineup. Frankly, I'm a bit baffled why Vibram releases molds so slowly ("they're perfectionists" doesn't really cut it if you ask me), and that, more than anything, has turned me off of their brand. They just seemed more concerned with other things than building a solid offering of discs.

I love the Lace, and I'm all in on their putters, but its hard to see me bagging another Vibram disc anytime soon. But maybe they'll surprise me.

Lots of grumbling in this forum - unusual.

All I know is that the 2 discs I got in the Birdie Bash last year, the Ascent and the Summit, still get a lot of use, as does the Unlace I added last fall, as well as my Ibex.

They might not have a lot of molds, but there are some damn good essential discs in their lineup.

Latest posts