• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Vintage Discs?

I throw three old discs on a somewhat regular basis pfn gazelle, viper and whippet. The viper and whippet overlap a tad, but I find some shots I like one better than the other. Since I throw them I am in the process of finding old circle stamps of each. Have a sweet circle stamp whippet, a real rough viper. No gazelles. So if anybody wants to help a guy out....

My local PIAS recently had a guy unload his old dx stash. So have thrown some Pegasus, ram, barracudas, and others good throwers not really collectors. Been tempted to do a throwback round.

How many of you throw old discs or molds? Stuff from over a decade ago?

Rancho Rocs (1993?), comets (1995), gators (2000) and predators (2002) have been mainstays in my bag for about as long as I've been playing. These discs have always worked well for me, and I've not tried anything that I think is actually legit better for me to throw.

The PD only got Teebirds out of my bag a few years ago. Multiple Teebirds were pretty much always in my bag before that - and many times I really seriously think about going back to the TBs since they are so much easier to find locally.

Last edited:
Rancho Rocs (1993?), comets (1995), gators (2000) and predators (2002) have been mainstays in my bag for about as long as I've been playing. These discs have always worked well for me, and I've not tried anything that I think is actually legit better for me to throw.

The PD only got Teebirds out of my bag a few years ago. Multiple Teebirds were pretty much always in my bag before that - and many times I really seriously think about going back to the TBs since they are so much easier to find locally.
The Ontario Roc came out in I think '94? Going totally off memory there. The Rancho came out in '97.

I would have an easier time listing the discs in my bag that came out in the last 10 years. I've got an Upshot, XD's, Comets, Sentinels, Cyclones, EXP1's, Valkyries, and Predators in the bag. The Vibram Sole and Lace are the only other disc in the bag.

I assumed we (at least Russell and I) were talking about the age of actual discs in our bags, not molds. Newest mold in my bag is a PD (2008). The oldest piece of plasic in my bag was made in '98.

I have a bar stamp Gator similar to those. Found it at PIAS. DX, looks brand spanking new and unused.

Any PFN Gator is barstamped...might be nothing special might be from 2000 who knows.

Though I'm forgetting some, a few favorites over the years (bold = still bagged):

XD - 84'
Cobra - 88'
Magnet - 93' *** (now the Clutch...a Magnet clone)
Upshot - 93'

Banshee - 98'
Sentinel - 98'
APX - 99'
Rhyno - 99'
JLS - 99'
Cyclone - 01'
Spider - 01'

I assumed we (at least Russell and I) were talking about the age of actual discs in our bags, not molds. Newest mold in my bag is a PD (2008). The oldest piece of plasic in my bag was made in '98.
In my bag the Upshot, the XD, an old glow TP Cyclone and the EXP1 were made...sometime. No idea. I bought them sometime in the 90's. The old Sentinel can get dated to '98 because it's the LE run, and the oldest Comet currently being thrown has a '97 tournament stamp on it. I have a first run glow thrower Comet that would be older, but I might be done throwing that one (gettin' on the flippy side.)

I regularly carry a Tachyon 4.1LF but it's hard to find those these days. It's from 2004 I think.

Might try a Moab to take its place day to day since it's basically the same mold.

The Tachyon LF 4.1 was from the 90's. When Millennium started in '95ish, the Viper was still the gold standard for drivers and so the Tachyon LF (Viper variant) and Tachyon LS (Raven variant) were their first drivers. One of the discs that really kicked off the small-diameter driver revolution was the Polaris LS, which came out in '96. The Polaris LS sold like hotcakes, and Millennium was a small enough company that they couldn't waste resources carrying the slow-selling Tachyon when they needed to run more Polaris LS. By '97, the Tachyon drivers were gone. I'm totally making this up off the top of my head, but the Tachyon LF 4.1's were the very last Tachyons we got into the shop. They may have been the last run of Tachyons, and as I recall it that would date them at '97.

The Tachyon LF 4.1 was from the 90's. When Millennium started in '95ish, the Viper was still the gold standard for drivers and so the Tachyon LF (Viper variant) and Tachyon LS (Raven variant) were their first drivers. One of the discs that really kicked off the small-diameter driver revolution was the Polaris LS, which came out in '96. The Polaris LS sold like hotcakes, and Millennium was a small enough company that they couldn't waste resources carrying the slow-selling Tachyon when they needed to run more Polaris LS. By '97, the Tachyon drivers were gone. I'm totally making this up off the top of my head, but the Tachyon LF 4.1's were the very last Tachyons we got into the shop. They may have been the last run of Tachyons, and as I recall it that would date them at '97.

Thanks 3putt!

Now if only I had 4 more of them.

story on the super roc? never seen that stamp before but i assume it's a fundraiser for one worlds or another(?)

2005 Am Worlds fundraiser.

The fundraiser Super Rocs ('04 and '05) a different plastic and a lot domier (more like a Shark) than the the SE Super Rocs. OS as all get out, and not much glide, too.

I'm not sure what the Phenix is? It has Champion Discs inc. on the back and a patent #. The deuce is still in my bag!

Phenix is a retooled Aero: more overstable and more glide. Came out in 1988. Sam Ferrans used it to set the distance world record (190.07 m/623.59').

I'm not sure what the Phenix is? It has Champion Discs inc. on the back and a patent #. The deuce is still in my bag!

Phenix is a retooled Aero: more overstable and more glide. Came out in 1988. Sam Ferrans used it to set the distance world record (190.07 m/623.59').
Yeah, the reason the Phenix has funny tooling is that it is the original Aero tooling; after the mold started yielding crappy Aero's they used it to create a mold for a different disc.

Not a big deal but I don't like to call the Phenix a retooled Aero. "Retool" implies they are making a tweak to an existing disc. The Phenix is a totally different disc from the Aero, they just happened to reuse the Aero mold to make it. Which is a "retool" technically so no big deal. There just isn't any similarity between an Aero and a Phenix other than the tooling that I can tell.