• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What Bothers you more?

Bigger Problem Poor Design or Poor Maintenance?

• Total voters
A poorly maintained course can be fixed far more easily than a poorly designed one can. It's like asking if you would rather be born completly unalthletic or have bad hygine. Bad hygine can be fixed with a shower and some soap, but the other problem isn't nearly as fixable.

Hate when a course is not maintained. Even the best course can suck if it gets overgrown. Drives can be shortened by high grass and an errant throw can ruin a day if the brush is horrible. I recently played a short course, not very tough, but was maintained beautifully and I enjoyed every minute of it.

This is the same thing as the ugly vs fat question. You can always lose the weight, but you can't do much about looks. Same way that you can always clean up a poorly maintained course.

This is like asking which is worse - being punched in the crotch or kicked in the crotch. Bottom line is the both suck and lower the quality people deserve. Having to choose - I would say design or maintenance. Here's the thing. You can always fix a poorly maintained course, so there is hope for change with little cost. A poorly designed course is so dang aggravating to me because I just think about the big waste of money that was spent to make a new course - and it will forever suck unless it's completely redesigned which costs a lot more money.

Good example - a few courses have popped up in Houston lately that were scout projects. Now granted the courses aren't abysmal, but since the pins are in and concrete is poured for boxes already you can't really change it. Which is sad because they usually make minimal use of the land and it's objects. Sure people will say if the grass got to high you couldn't play it so maintenance is more important, but since it's poorly designed who would want to?

" man this is a really great course , sure the last 5 times ive been here the fun has been sucked out of my rounds but man what a great design.
" i like not knowing if its gonna be a horriable day of dg before i get in my car and drive an hour only to quit without finishing my round cause i have nothing better to do".

Does it really matter if it could be nice when you get there and its a wreck?

You have to design a course that is a challenge and balances out...

" man this is a really great course , sure the last 5 times ive been here the fun has been sucked out of my rounds but man what a great design.
" i like not knowing if its gonna be a horriable day of dg before i get in my car and drive an hour only to quit without finishing my round cause i have nothing better to do".

Does it really matter if it could be nice when you get there and its a wreck?

Exactly my point I could not agree more.....I lost like 100 bucks worth of discs in the fairways on Sunday and quit and that experience prompted me to start this thread......I would rather go for a relaxing round on a simple little course than have my day ruined at a hit or miss maintained one.

Exactly my point I could not agree more.....I lost like 100 bucks worth of discs in the fairways on Sunday and quit and that experience prompted me to start this thread......I would rather go for a relaxing round on a simple little course than have my day ruined at a hit or miss maintained one.
The best example down here is Tom Bass, people come and play it around tourney time and rave about how great it is , but if you went there at 10 different times of the year youd be lucky to have 2 fun rounds. Most of the time pepole get so frustrated after a few holes of not knowing where to throw getting their shoes wet and losing discs in a fairway they just give up.

I voted bad design is worse. When I think bad design, I think lack of defined holes or navigation. I don't mean distance of holes- we still need starter courses for new players. When I think maintenance I think thash not poor tees and baskets.

I have to say poorly designed course. Once it is in the ground, essentially that course is there for life unless some major time and money is involved to change it. Course conditions can change quiet a bit over the life of the course. I would rather deal with long grass and weeds if the design was cool.

I suppose no matter how well a course is maintained, if the design sucks it sucks.
But, a poorly maintained course thats designed great is still fun.
DSCJNKY

I would agree that a poorly designed course is the worst of the two evils. It's tough at times to negotiate your way around a poorly maintained course, but poor design does make for an unenjoyable round every time.

poor design is harder to work around than bad maintainence. i expect to look for discs, not the next hole.

Yes I agree with this. I have seen some courses with trash and overgrowth that have decent flow. The trash can be picked up easily and grass can be mowed. Redesigning a course takes much more work.

There's always hope for a poorly maintained course. It's only a mowing or a proactive club away from being well-maintained. A poorly designed course, on the other hand, is pretty well guaranteed to always be terrible.

There's always hope for a poorly maintained course. It's only a mowing or a proactive club away from being well-maintained. A poorly designed course, on the other hand, is pretty well guaranteed to always be terrible.

unless of course its redesigned, but like you said it much harder to redesign than mow.

Latest posts