• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What do you do here?

It might be a disc you were thinking of buying but wanted to try out first. You think "no harm in throwing it".......... 4-5 holes later and someone shows up and sees you with the disc and gets all bend outta shape that you "stole" his disc when in fact you just found it.

If you're gonna get bent outta shape because i didn't call IMMEDIATELY then you have bigger issues than a $12 disc.

I don't think the issue is so much that he threw it a few holes. I'd admit I would do the same probably if I found a disc I never threw before. The issue is that he kind of made it obvious that he had no intentions of trying to return it.

You know...being able to throw a disc that you found shouldn't be a problem, at least while you are still out that day.

I think the real douchebaggery is the fact that he admitted to you that he found it and then lost it. I call all numbers inked on discs when I find them, always! But I possibly make a throw or two with the found discs to see how I happen to like it(ON A HOLE WHERE THERE IS LITTLE CHANCE OF LOSING IT)

I would agree that throwing a disc that you found on a hole with a chance of loosing it is a move that shows lack of wisdom (a nice way of saying stupid). And I also agree that the way the comment was presented here makes it seem like he had no intention of trying to return the disc, which also shows a lack of wisdom.

I really dislike people who get bent out of shape on the DG course.

I am not going to call you about your disc until I get home and maybe then it might have to come when I have time to think about it.

i don't see the big deal about not calling the moment i find one (though i usually do myself) but i always call while i'm still at the course because they might be too. easier to get the thing back to someone if you're both already in the same place. then you don't have to deal with arranging a meeting and then forgetting about it and blah blah blah.

i don't see the big deal about not calling the moment i find one (though i usually do myself) but i always call while i'm still at the course because they might be too. easier to get the thing back to someone if you're both already in the same place. then you don't have to deal with arranging a meeting and then forgetting about it and blah blah blah.

re: the thread topic, have to agree with the others about calmly explaining my position on the matter. i feel the same as talbot trojan here
I really dislike people who get bent out of shape on the DG course.
if you can't stop yourself from throwing a fit for almost any reason while at a DG course then you clearly have anger issues and are probably also a douchebag. obviously exceptions apply for people stealing your stuff or other such egregious acts.

Let me start by saying if I find a disc with someones name/number on it I always call. But I will also admit if I find a disc that I might like to try, I'll toss it for the round and make the call when I get home. I don't have a cell and wouldn't take it out on a course even if I did. The last thing I want is to be talking on a phone when I'm out playing. When I lose a disc I search for it relentlessly. If it's a disc I especially like I don't leave without it. And all of my discs are inked although I've never gotten a call for the few that just seemed to have disappeared into thin air or were stolen by the disc elves.

If I was in that situation I would good naturedly call the guy a dick and have a good laugh over it.

Let me start by saying if I find a disc with someones name/number on it I always call. But I will also admit if I find a disc that I might like to try, I'll toss it for the round and make the call when I get home. I don't have a cell and wouldn't take it out on a course even if I did. The last thing I want is to be talking on a phone when I'm out playing. When I lose a disc I search for it relentlessly. If it's a disc I especially like I don't leave without it. And all of my discs are inked although I've never gotten a call for the few that just seemed to have disappeared into thin air or were stolen by the disc elves.

If I was in that situation I would good naturedly call the guy a dick and have a good laugh over it.

Sounds about right to me, there's nothing really wrong with throwing a disc a couple times before you call to return it, though it sounds like the guy wasn't really planning on it. Either way, it's not worth getting upset and ruining your day over, just take a minute and teach the guy about the etiquette in that situation and move on with the round, he may just not know that calling is the expected thing to do there.

Here is something that happened to me on Saturday. I was with some new players, and I was talking about throwing a Thumber. They guy wanted to see one thrown, so I took my DX Wraith, that is inked to hell and back. I threw it for fun, and then took my real shot. Since I normally don't throw two discs on a hole, I for got about my first throw.

On the next hole I was taking inventory of my bag, and noticed the Wraith was gone. I walked back to towards the last hole and noticed a guy with my disc in his hand. I then saw him throwing it into a tree to get down his stuck disc. As I approached, he said "Oh, you must be looking for this, and threw my disc in my direction. I kind of gave him a look, and then decided he wasn't worth my time. I don't think he was too bright, because he was throwing his bag up in the tree to get down his disc.

I walked up with my baseball, and told him I got this, and with one throw, I knocked his disc out of the tree. He was amazed and said "Wow, good throw". I just picked up my baseball and walked to the next tee. I was still amazed, because if I find a inked disc, the first thing I do is call the number. This guy seemed like a newbie from what I could see.

That's very funny midnight, throwing his bag. Sounds like a real mouth breather.

i think someone else had the rite idea about startin over and playin the round by yourself. sh** i found someones wallet one the course on sunday and called all the numbers in it to try to get it back to him. he MADE me take the only dollar he had in it. lol

I have to be honest...I don't understand this self-imposed ethical standard for calling someone back if they lose their disc. I tend to think of myself as a pretty decent guy who tries to do the right thing in most situations. I have been playing disc golf on and off for about 12 years and I have lost quite a few discs. Sometimes I spent significant chunks of time looking for the discs before giving up. Other times not...but regardless, it was always my choice to walk away from the disc and give up looking. Throughout that period of time I have also found many discs...not sure if the balance is equal, but I have a feeling it has come out a wash most of the time.
So many people feel like they have this universal ownership right to their disc and I don't understand where it comes from. In my humble opinion, if you are willing to walk away from your disc (giving up on finding it), and someone else finds it down the road...it should be theirs. Period.
People get so bent out of shape over a 10-20 dollar investment and it blows my mind. Sure I have lost some discs I loved, but they are extremely replaceable. It is amazing that the simple act of writing your name on plastic with a sharpie would entitle someone to universal ownership of something.

I have to be honest...I don't understand this self-imposed ethical standard for calling someone back if they lose their disc. I tend to think of myself as a pretty decent guy who tries to do the right thing in most situations. I have been playing disc golf on and off for about 12 years and I have lost quite a few discs. Sometimes I spent significant chunks of time looking for the discs before giving up. Other times not...but regardless, it was always my choice to walk away from the disc and give up looking. Throughout that period of time I have also found many discs...not sure if the balance is equal, but I have a feeling it has come out a wash most of the time.
So many people feel like they have this universal ownership right to their disc and I don't understand where it comes from. In my humble opinion, if you are willing to walk away from your disc (giving up on finding it), and someone else finds it down the road...it should be theirs. Period.
People get so bent out of shape over a 10-20 dollar investment and it blows my mind. Sure I have lost some discs I loved, but they are extremely replaceable. It is amazing that the simple act of writing your name on plastic with a sharpie would entitle someone to universal ownership of something.

that is exactly how i feel. people think that if they write their name and number on a disc its theirs for ever, it was thier choice to leave the disc
if i lose a disc and happen to get a call i would just say keep it. and i look for my discs until found so, if you cant afford to buy a disc you leave behind find you disc.

If I find a disc, I always call before I leave the course.
I have a clear conscience that way.
For the record, I have been told to keep 2 discs out of about 13 that I have called to return.
I stopped calling for DX discs and I just leave them up by the kiosk to save the aggravation of scheduling a meeting.

thats crazy ironic story n should just take experience as once in a lifetime

people keep discs all the time ... def mention that he was wrong in the situation but still what are the chances of you asking that guy to play a round with you and finding this out ... more of a reason to start being friends then hate on him if you ask me

Returning a disc is a nice thing to do. It creates a sense of community that's not offered in many sports. Why not call? There is no disc I am in need of and if is was something special I'd imagine it has even more value to them than me.

So I got some justice today on this situation and just realized it. When I was playing with the guy this guy he was putting with a Buzzz. It was fly-dyed and had a cut on the lip that's hard to forget. Well I found his Buzzz in the water today. No ink though so I guess I can't call him. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't anyways after him finding and re-losing my Beast with no intention of calling me. lol.

you laugh with him. you're not getting your disc back either way, so make the best of it. some people don't return discs. I don't know why everyone here gets so upset over this. it's just some plastic, and losing discs is part of the game. hell, I frequently play with a guy who has one of my discs in his bag all the time. it went into a lake and he went diving for it a few days later. yeah, it would have been awesome to give it back to me but I wasn't going in after it, and I'd rather have a golf partner than an enemy, so just say **** it and get on with life.

Latest posts