• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What draws you to a tournament?

Good value in terms of the player's pack is definitely an incentive, as well as a well rounded turnout. It's nice to play in a tourney where people can play where they belong, rather than "not enough people for that division." But it's hard to tell if that's will be the case before-hand.

Personally, I also like being able to play a unique or special layout - but I can see how others wouldn't to play a course/layout for the first time in a tournament.

Sanctioning and Tier
Food on site (whether it is included in the entry fee or not) is a plus.

^ I'll echo this and being able to spend non-open payouts on site.

For me..
-Players packs with tourney stamped discs are a +
-camping is always fun to make a weekend getaway out of a tourney or two
-free keg afterwards?! :):clap:
-also which club is hosting the event

Can't wait for all the ice bowls the next couple weekends!

Far and away.....the course/s. Primarily, it is me competing against the course in a formal setting.

Camaraderie is right up there too for the enjoyment as even if I love the course but am a stranger to the majority it takes a lot of the fun away. Having a family, schedule is a "given" as far as a factor (location and date). One day tournaments are much preferred for that reason.

I mainly look at who is running the tournament....if the TD is cool...I'm in and having a blast...If the TD is a douche...I'll pass! I'll play any and every tournament Mr. Disc Golf puts on if I don't have my boys that weekend. I'll support him till I'm old and can't throw a disc anymore. There are only a few cool cats that run tournaments around me and I will play in their tournaments. I won't play in tournaments run by a certain two guys around me..(only because I despise/loathe one of the dudes). LONG LIVE MR. DISC GOLF!!

Most of our local events are C-tiers and don't come with a players pack, which I'm OK with. Luckily, we have 2 groups hosting events and they cooperate quite well as far as scheduling. One group tends to put in more side action (CTP, ring of fire, etc) and the other has a running "points series" for their events. Both are staffed and run extremely well, so that's never a concern. The group with the points series puts on one event per month, with a series finale B-tier (2 day event this year!) and the other group put on 4 events last year (their first year).

These events are all affordable, fun, and have good, deep payout structure, and they are run by good people I consider friends. Both of these groups are the main disc shops in Houston (opposite sides of town), so AM payout is always handled on site.

Playing with other skilled players is a big one for me. I shot a 990 round last week (first time using the PDGA app to calculate round rating so idk how accurate it is), but most of the people I play with throw drives in the 80-100' range, so I just want to play with other good players. The player pack also impacts which tourneys I'm actually willing to drive to because the closest ones are usually 1 1/2 hrs away.

I'm drawn to a tournament because...

- Its close enough to drive there.
- I know/like the course/layout.
- I know some of my disc golfing buddies will be there.
- I know the TD and know he/she will put on a good event.
- The entry fee is reasonable.
- The players pack (if there is one) is reasonable for that fee.
- Sanctioning (more like lack of at the moment, although I'll break that rule a couple times this year and pay the $10).

I've been playing for a few years, but just made it to my first tournament the other day. Competition is never a big thing for me, which is why I haven't gone til now. The local 9 hole course had a temporary extra 9 holes set up for the tournament. That's the main reason I went. However, after having played in it, the atmosphere was probably the best part. Having that many cool disc golfers hanging out in one place was alot of fun. I could care less about winning or the competition. But all the people made it worth it. (By the way, there were 62 people at our local Ice Bowl. Previous record was 34.)

The course is the biggest factor for me.

PDGA Sanctioned is a plus.

I could care less about the #/quality of competitors in my division (MA1). If it's a course I enjoy playing, then I'll sign up early to make sure I get a spot. I don't wait to see who may or may not be playing.

For me, tournaments are about me playing against the course trying to improve my rating. If I shoot above my rating and don't cash, then I'm happy.

For myself (a career Am)

1---Quality of course. I'll re-arrange my life to play a great course; am reluctant to devote a day or weekend to a mediocre one.
2---Calendar. Where it fits in relation to other area tournaments, and my personal life, since I can't play every weekend. A good event this weekend will give way to a better event next weekend.
3---Distance. Within 2 hours, I can sleep in my own bed. More than that requires an overnight stay; event must reach a higher threshhold to make that worthwhile.
4---Field size. More fun to play in a large field, so I play with different people each round.
5---Fewest negatives. A well-run tournament isn't a draw, but a poorly-run one is a turnoff. Entry fees hardly matter until they pass $40 for a 1-day, $60 for a 2-day event.

Of no consequence to me---players packs, payouts, players parties.

In order of importance:
- The course, with special consideration given to cool temp courses and private courses.
- The field - as a Grandmaster this can be difficult, but when no/little action in MPG, MPM is OK too.
- The date - if the first two are good, my commitments outside of DG can usually be rearranged. I also try to spread my tournaments out throughout the year so that factors in too.
- The tier - This is my first year in open so this will carry some weight going forward.
- Ace funds/CTPs can add to the experience (depending on the course/prizes), and in rare cases (like BG Ams) a player's pack can too, but I would never make a decision on whether or not to play based on these elements. Entry fees and travel distance are non-factors.

Something that is not known up front that would influence my decision is the depth of the payouts. I would prefer structures that pay something like 20-25% of the field and make the payouts higher. I don't know if that's even allowed in sanctioned touraments, but the point is the shallower the better. More incentive/reward for playing well.

Most importantly for me is competition in general, not the skill level of others, but competing against others, the course, and pushing myself. Im naturally drawn to tournaments because im wired that way.

Id say there are a few factorsthat would play a part in how i decide which event if there are multiples.

Turnout and tier, if theres a bigger, higher sanctioned event in a reasonable distance and i can afford the extra, thats what i tend to do.

TD/Payout/Course(s), if the TD is inept, the event was poor, or i didnt enjoy the course, i likely wont return. Payout structure and prizes are a smaller influence but do factor in. I dont really care for events (aside feom ace race type) that have pre bundled prizes. Im picky. But its not enough on its own to deter me from coming if im going to have fun and the other negatives are at a minimum.

I will almost always choose a known, fun time with friends, over an unknown event, with unknown turnout and people i dont know.

The course is number one with a bullet. I also am attracted to tournaments that start early. I love a 9 a.m tee time. In fact, in the summer, I would love a 7:30 a.m or 8:00 a.m tee-off. Also, an experienced TD. They seem to get people back on the course after the break quickly, and wrap things up at the end fast.

Payouts mean nothing to me. Player pack almost always means nothing. A disc, with a unique stamp or not, is not a draw. If the tourney is giving away something that others do not, then my interest may be piqued. Umbrellas, chairs, pint glass or mug, etc. Of course, I will pay extra for that tournament. Price is not a factor in my case.

All weekend long tournaments turn me off as well, if they are sanctioned. Especially if they are on holiday weekends.

Do I get to competitively throw Discs at baskets with other people who like to do the same thing? That's enough for me. Sanctioning helps though, because I have to drive a long way to get to those.

1) Competition (it's fun to play with new/better people)
2) Tourney Stamped Discs or Players Pack
3) Proximity...needs to be within 2-3 hours or there's very little chance I'm there.

Latest posts