• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What would your Stats look like?

Driving:00000
Approach:0000
Putting:000
Recovery:0000

Driving:OO
Approach:OOO
Putting:OOOO
Recovery Shot:OOO

Putting is definitely my strong suit with Recover and Approach being pretty good. I need to work on driving, but it is getting better.

driving: 0000
approach: 00000
putting: 000(
recovery:0

There wasn't anything lower for recovery. otherwise it would be a (. I am often fine on my drive/approaches, so it doesn't hurt me badly. And I am generally a conservative player. If i'm throwing a tough approach/drive in the woods, then i generally throw it low. If it hits a tree, then it doesn't bounce as far away, and other stuff like that. but if i get into deep woods, I really have to stop and think and force myself to just play super conservative. It rarely happens.

And I would agree with what someone else said on approaches. Not a lot of courses are designed to be throwing approach shots (as far as shots from the fairway to the putting area). Most are made to throw straight to the putting area, so that makes us think that we are good at those shots we rarely take.
It does seem like it might also be that the distance we think is an "approach distance" drastically changes over time. My first year of playing I would have said an approach distance was 25'-150'. But no I would say around 55'-310' or so. It changes as we get better, and so whatever distance we think that approach distance is, we are good at it.

Hey 80played, what were/are you rated?

My stats

Driving:OOOO
Approach:OO
Putting:OO
Recovery Shot:OOO
Cursing at Trees:OOOOOOOO

I'm being hard on my Approach game b/c it's hard on me.

Last edited:
driving: 0000
approach: 00000
putting: 000(
recovery:0

There wasn't anything lower for recovery. otherwise it would be a (. I am often fine on my drive/approaches, so it doesn't hurt me badly. And I am generally a conservative player. If i'm throwing a tough approach/drive in the woods, then i generally throw it low. If it hits a tree, then it doesn't bounce as far away, and other stuff like that. but if i get into deep woods, I really have to stop and think and force myself to just play super conservative. It rarely happens.

And I would agree with what someone else said on approaches. Not a lot of courses are designed to be throwing approach shots (as far as shots from the fairway to the putting area). Most are made to throw straight to the putting area, so that makes us think that we are good at those shots we rarely take.
It does seem like it might also be that the distance we think is an "approach distance" drastically changes over time. My first year of playing I would have said an approach distance was 25'-150'. But no I would say around 55'-310' or so. It changes as we get better, and so whatever distance we think that approach distance is, we are good at it.

Hey 80played, what were/are you rated?

i have been up to 970..maybe 955 now? ratings are only accurate of sanctioned tourneys though..i feel i am a much better golfer than 955..hopefully i can get it back up to "pro" level before the year is out..

Driving: 00(
Approach: 0000
Putting: 000(
Recovery: 0000

My driving is the worst part of my game. On average I can throw for about 300 or a little over, but I have problems with flipping the disc on my release.

Driving OOOO 400ft With decent accuracy
Approach OO Hard for me to get better when my drives are long
Putting OO Not quite sure how to rate this compared to others 15-20 ft im pretty solid. im prolly around 50% for putts around 30 ft
Recovery Shot OOO

Ooooh, a bump from 13 years ago!

(Side note, in the well-wishing thread to TimG, I mentioned I'd been here since 2008. Correction, 2011! This thread is before I stumbled upon the site...)

I'll play. I think the left parenthesis mark means a half point, right?

Driving: OO(
Approach: OOOO(
Putting: OOOOO
Recovery Shot: OOOO

I'm entering MA-50 this upcoming year rated 897, the first time in my entire career going back to 1998 being rated under 900. I get stiff and sore by the second round of the day now. I have no distance anymore, might occasionally touch 300', but I'm usually accurate. (I was pumping Whippets out to near 350' a quarter century ago with RHFH's but back then didn't have the short game!). All the magic occurs 150' on in for me today. Very confident at putting. My 50/50 range is out in c2 and I'm around 70% from 30'. Won the Kalamazoo putting league championship last year at age 49, topping a friend of mine who was the previous Michigan putting champion at states (and he beat Andrew Marwede to do it). All my opponents were in their low 30's or younger and were Am-1 to bubble players in local MPO. I usually gain about 3 strokes per round just on putting alone, making up for no distance off the tee and if the putter is on I'm usually yielding 900 to 940 rated rounds. The proverbial "old guy who only drives 275' but can still beat you." [If you're not a pro]. I should be a doubles partner with all you guys who reach 400' (my 7th grader included!).

Driving: OO(
Approach: OOOO(
Putting: OOOOO
Recovery Shot: OOOO

... The proverbial "old guy who only drives 275' but can still beat you." [If you're not a pro]. I should be a doubles partner with all you guys who reach 400' (my 7th grader included!).

I'd double with that any day!

Distance wise I'm not sure where approach ends and driving begins, but maybe:

Driving*:OOO(
Approach:OOOO
Putting:O(
Recovery Shot:OOO(

I kept thinking of Eveliina and Henna and started putting practice more regularly this month and earned myself that "(" lol. It turns out the game is much more fun when you make them.

*BH only. FH I would need to give my circles to other people.

Driving: OO
Approach: OOOO
Putting: OO
Recovery: OOO

I call approach shots any shot that doesn't require full power to reach the pin. So for me, that's a mere 200'. I have to full-power a driving putter past there, so the distance of an approach in my world starts with a '1'. I gave myself all those OOO's in "approach" for those 150-footers. I'm pretty good at getting up and down from there. It's something Am-3 guys have trouble with but pros can do in their sleep in addition to almost everything else too. I've been stuck in the middle between Am-3 and pro for a quarter century.

I call approach shots any shot that doesn't require full power to reach the pin.

I'd say if you aren't putting after your tee shot then your next shot is your approach regardless of the distance or how much power you need to put on the shot. If I go 300' on my drive on a 600' par 3 then that leaves me with a 300' approach.

This is kind of a cool bump.

Driving;0000 (5O FH 3O BH)
Approach; 0000
Putting;000
Recovery;00000 probably my strongest facet.

I'd say if you aren't putting after your tee shot then your next shot is your approach regardless of the distance or how much power you need to put on the shot. If I go 300' on my drive on a 600' par 3 then that leaves me with a 300' approach.

Cool. I'd call that two drives (and am playing it as a par 4 no matter what other people label it), but the names we give them don't really change what they are.

Latest posts