• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's the best part of your game?

ern19

I'm average at putting. I have below average drive distance. I can hit a line pretty well in the woods.

However, thanks to where I had to learn to play, I have a freakish knack for nigh-impossible escape shots. My home course is a kudzu-filled, heavily wooded mud pit where many times, you'll hit an almost perfect line, before a tree in the middle of the fairway shoots your drive into the neighboring county. Thanks to this, when I play competitively at better maintained courses, when I end up in the ****, more often than not I'll still manage to save par. Honestly, I'm probably more comfortable throwing a disc over, around and through obstacles than I am with wide open "easy" approaches.

But I'm kind of a weirdo. What are you guys best at?

I have a really good putting game. My approach game is really good. I excel at Driving with Putters,Mids and Fairways. When it comes to distance drivers I'm pretty decent. I don't have crazy distance,but I'm pretty accurate 80% of the time.

That's the perks of playing for a long time. :D

Im about an average putter. Maybe a little under, but im improving quickly. My drive distance blows long and hard, although to be fair I don't really ever get to let loose, I haven't went out to the football field to really give it a shot. I think the best part of my game is my 'recovery ability' I can usually take the crappiest drive on earth and turn it into a par.

I think having a lot of different throwing techniques at my disposal & distance are my strengths in disc golf. I throw backhand, sidearm, tomahawk, thumber, backhand rollers, forehand rollers & the occasional thumber roller. I feel that being able to walk up to a hole that goes in one direction & being able to choose from many different throws is huge for me. If the hole goes right I can throw anny backhand, sidearm, thumber, backhand roller or sidearm cut roller. If the hole goes left I can throw backhand, anny forehand, tomahawk, sidearm roller or backhand cut roller. I feel every throwing technique I use opens up new areas of the fairway. Before I learned overhand going over obstacles like trees wasn't even a viable option but once I learned how to proficiently I was finding lines I never knew existed. Also my backhand distance is a huge part of my game. I know many people who are happy throwing 300 - 350ft & say that "distance isn't everything". Those people don't even have the option of trying to park a 450ft foot hole were I do. Even if I can't park those holes every time the times I do do it (b/c the chance is there) I have a big advantage over players without that kind of arm. I'm always trying to improve my form & my distance. 4 or 5 years ago I was throwing 300ft & now I can hit 450-475ft shots pretty much on command. On a very good shot I can hit 500ft. To all the people who don't believe me that I can get that distance, PM me if you live or are ever in the Milwaukee area & I will be glad to play a round with you & prove it.

Last edited:
Strength: Upshots and my technical game.
Weakness: Distance - I have no chance for birdies on bomber courses.

Any wide open shot 150' or less. I can look pretty good on those some times....

I have a pretty good putting game. I am pretty much lights out in the circle maybe out to 40 ft. If I miss a putt in the circle I know my mental game is off and I need to snap out of it, whatever it is. I have been forming lines pretty well lately, at least on shortish holes.

My approaches have always been the best part of my game, the accuracy in distance due to toss-&-catch and the ability to deal with convoluted pathways---well, who knows why.
But I just changed the way I putt 2 months ago, and I'm making at least 50% of my 30'-35' putts now, and no whiffs under 20'.
Unfortunately, my drives have also decided to start exploring off-fairway lately, so net gain=0. :wall:

My forehand drives, my approaches and my putts are really good. My overhand is decent and my backhand is developing

Laser-straight shots with a trusty Eagle and anhyzers (maybe it's the lefty thing).

Last edited:
The only thing that I'm not good at is putting. At least not consistently good. I'm a very streaky putter, but that's because I don't get a lot of time to practice being a newly wed.

What are you guys best at?

I've only played DG for a few years but 20+ playing Ultimate and more years at the park hucking Frisbees before that means I've seen my share of noobs.

The best part of my game is that I enjoy playing with and helping new folks out IF they ask for advice.

approach. i can't even claim it's all me. ever since i started using my zero soft pure my line shaping has gotten 10x better. just clings to your hands so you get a good snappy release even when throwing really soft. put it on any line. i've been weaving right through trees and that rubbery soft plastic sticks on the ground pretty well.

I excel at finding a way out of the rough/woods. Like the OP my normal course is pretty heavily wooded so I've had plenty of practice throwing from bad lies through trees/foliage. My friends are constantly in disbelief at some of my follow-up shots after an errant throw they would struggle with. I have pretty good approaches as well, but this is still hit/miss with me right now like my putting - sometimes I'm dead on other times I'm way off.

My second shot is by far my strongest. Putting is getting there. I'm about 80% from 20 feet, and pretty much making everything from 15' and in.

Weakest is my drives...as usual.

Latest posts