• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When should you move to pro?

And yet you get angry at people who don't move up? is that not forcing players in there divisions to play against better competition which they shouldn't be afraid of? Should never hear "Bagger" if that is the case.

It all hits a ceiling. Pro level.

The whole point of lower levels is to keep the good players from being forced to play with some hacker. You earn your way up.

But again, some earn their way up, but refuse to go, aka the Cowardly Lion.

Stud Muffin's entire argument is based around the idea that there are all these MA1 players out there who can and often do finish tournaments with scores better than the Open field. I think we can all see why we can ignore any further comments he makes . . .

lol oh.......no that doesn't happen almost at all. Ive seen rec>int(I was that guy once), Int>adv, but never Adv>pro

Mud Stuffin...

idiot.jpg

It all hits a ceiling. Pro level.

The whole point of lower levels is to keep the good players from being forced to play with some hacker. You earn your way up.

But again, some earn their way up, but refuse to go, aka the Cowardly Lion.

You have it backwards. The point of the divisions is to allow players of varying experience to be competitive. That's why there is a ratings maximum per amateur division not a minimum.

I don't mind ,"being forced to play with some hacker." I'm only going to see them for the first round anyways, haha.

You need to stop looking at "pro" as being the next step above Advanced. It isn't. There are two classes of disc golf competition: Amateur and Professional. The amateur class has multiple divisions based on skill and it is impossible for someone to consistently "sandbag" the lower divisions due to the ratings cap. The MA1 or Advanced division is the top of the ladder for an amateur. I don't see how you can ever call an Advanced player a bagger. They are already at the top. A completely separate class of competition is Professional in which there are other factors besides just skill, such as accepting cash and all that goes with that.

Dangit Paul you just through Fuel on this thing!! lol

Technically you didn't beat the pro masters :p

I guess it's how you look at it. Whiz is one of the highest rated Ams in the entire world and this is the only time (i believe) that he has ever finished a tournament with a better score than the Open division and it was by 1 stroke! Just shows you how infrequently this kind of thing actually happens.

True, Like I said I had never even seen anyone close before.

You have it backwards. The point of the divisions is to allow players of varying experience to be competitive. That's why there is a ratings maximum per amateur division not a minimum.

I don't mind ,"being forced to play with some hacker." I'm only going to see them for the first round anyways, haha.

You need to stop looking at "pro" as being the next step above Advanced. It isn't. There are two classes of disc golf competition: Amateur and Professional. The amateur class has multiple divisions based on skill and it is impossible for someone to consistently "sandbag" the lower divisions due to the ratings cap. The MA1 or Advanced division is the top of the ladder for an amateur. I don't see how you can ever call an Advanced player a bagger. They are already at the top. A completely separate class of competition is Professional in which there are other factors besides just skill, such as accepting cash and all that goes with that.

Technically, it is not 'pro', but 'open'. That is the point. It should contain the best of the best. Since this IS a opinion thread, I believe that the best should be able to compete, open, whether they want to accept money or not, aka the Bobby Jones reference during the Masters weekend.

And while you may not mind a hacker playing along for a round, I have definitely seen players get thrown off their game because their dog kept grabbing discs, or they were toking up too much, or talking with friends, and holding them up big time. I've seen these things happen, and a good player should not be punished a round because of poor ethics, and that happens with rec players.

Since this IS a opinion thread, I believe that the best should be able to compete, open, whether they want to accept money or not, aka the Bobby Jones reference during the Masters weekend.

They can! Nothing is stopping them. But that's not your beef is it? Your OPINION is that certain players NEED to play up for some reason . . . that they should be forced to play OPEN based on your perception of their abilities.

See a problem here?

I am now forced to play Open after taking cash when I was below 970, and now having a rating above 970. If I lived in North Carolina though I very possibly would have waited to play Open until I had my chance at Am worlds, on top of having a stronger am division to compete in. Here in AZ as a 975 rated player I should be cashing at every tournament I play Open in unless I severely drop the call.

Move up bagger! (@AtlScott)

Especially after you took 17th(?) at Bowling Green while barely using your right arm!

Move up bagger! (@AtlScott)

Especially after you took 17th(?) at Bowling Green while barely using your right arm!

Aww, way to poke at a man's pride Paul! It's obvious that Scott's lady used him as a punching bag. We all saw the bruises!