• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When To Dive into Tournaments

I waited 20 years. But that's because I move around a lot and never got into leagues or clubs. So I don't reccomend waiting that long! Haha!

My suggestion is for newer players, or players looking to get into tourneys try something like a Vibram Birdie Bash, Discraft Ace Race or Dynamic Discs Two-Disc Challenge. Its a cheap, fun way to see kind of how tournaments work and help you get over first-time jitters. Maybe then try a local, non-sanctioned tourney if they have a rec or novice division...or even intermediate! By then you'll definetly be ready to jump into a PDGA event. Good luck!

Read the rulebook. I can't tell you how many people out there think they know the rules based purely on hearsay. You don't have to be a Nazi, but you should know the difference between the actual rules and what somebody heard some pro say this one time.

Exactly what I came to post.

Does anyone know if their is a Birdie Bash in the STL area, that sounds like a blast!?

Addicted...

Beware... you may become an addict like myself.

I started playing just over a year ago and play in my first tournament about 3 month into the hobby. I know play in tournaments 3 out of every 4 weekends. I've now played in the US Maters in Kentucky, A-Tiers in Oklahoma, B- and C- Tier tournaments in Arkansas, Missouri, and Kansas and I flew to Phoenix recently to play in the Memorial... and add to that numerous unsanctioned stuff round Jefferson City, MO. That plus playing in at least 3 leagues each week.

Once my Physical Flight Contender bag arrives next week, I'll have 4 bags to go with my trunk full of plastic. I LOVE TOURNAMENT play. I will win one soon. I've gotten 2nd more time than I can throw a stick out... and I usually shoot over par... so you're more than ready. I played enough my first year to qualify for Amateur Worlds, so 2012 was a very satisfying start to disc golf for me.

DO IT!!

I'm a new player, but I get out on the course a decent amount and (very) occasionally I'll hit like 2 over on an average 18 hole course. Honestly I am usually 5 or 6 over. I want to try a tournament out sometime for fun, but I don't want to be the laughing stock of the Missouri Disc Golf Community. How will I know when I'm ready to try a tournament or two?

Thanks!

Make a good first impression. Read and know the rules and competition manuals from the PDGA before playing is good advice and practice etiquette when playing. Also, If you are unsure of a rule, asks others. In addition, if you have a bad temper and cuss, throw bag, etc. constantly, tournaments are not for you. These are a few things that I see when playing with some casual players who do not play tournaments on a regular basis and some players that only play their local sanctioned tournament.

Anytime, just play rec and have a decent understanding of the rules. Rec is usually pretty relaxed and it gives you a chance to break into the tournament scene. I have only played 2 PDGA tournaments and a couple non-sanctioned events and all in the rec division(name which I hate because I don't think it is rec when your competing in a tournament). Most of the rec players are pretty cool and just ask if you are not sure of the rules.

I was unsure of myself but plunged in anyway. From playing so often I got to meet a bunch of "regulars." They would ask if I was gonna play this or that event. Not from any competition, but camaraderie point of view. So I plunged in. My first event was a low key local thing. It was a blast. I didn't embarrass myself, I met a lot of great new friends, and I learned a thing or 2. After that I was hooked. DFL or cashing I always have a great time.

Not much to add to all the good advice here, but I will anyway.

---Don't be concerned with being a laughingstock. There's a division for every skill level.
---Tell your cardmates that it's your first event. They'll help you with the protocol issues (like everyone takes a turn with the scorecard), or at least be understanding of those you don't know.
---My general suggestion is to start with local league play. It's not a big step from there to tournaments.
---You might as well start as soon as you're interested. If you like it and get hooked on playing tournaments, as many have, you'll be glad you didn't wait. If you don't like it, at least you'll know.
---Pace-of-play is sometimes an issue to first-time tournament players. The first handful of tournaments I played, it drove me crazy and at the end of each one, I swore I wouldn't play another. Now I'm nearing 20 years of tournament play and regret that I can't play in them more often.
---Have a basic knowledge of the rules. But you don't have to be an expert, especially in your first events, especially in the lower divisions.

^^^ good advice.

I am getting ready to play in my third tournament this weekend. I have finished dead last in the other two, but have had a lot of fun and have played with some cool dudes. It really doesn't matter where you finish, it's good to get out and play "for real" once in a while.

Good advice here.
The first few times I read the title of this thread I wonder if the OP meant to drive a car into(?) the tournament or drive a disc.

I need new glasses.

The first few times I read the title of this thread I wonder if the OP meant to drive a car into(?) the tournament or drive a disc.

Both good questions. Is it better to drive to out-of-town tournaments the night before or the morning of?

When do you throw your first drive? After the first horn sounds? What's the second horn for then? Then when do you drive on the next tee? What if it's a long two-shot hole and the group ahead is on the green?

:popcorn: :D

Good advice here.

I need new glasses.

I thought it had to do with water holes. Retrieve that disc now?....or at the end of the round? Does the temperature affect how long you're willing to play soaking wet?

I thought it had to do with water holes. Retrieve that disc now?....or at the end of the round? Does the temperature affect how long you're willing to play soaking wet?

Maybe it's both?

40117154525878527910492.jpg

Ah, yes, I think the question came up at USDGC a couple of years ago.

Sorry! I'll use a better verb next time! Haha

Fellow St. Louis DGer here.

Check out http://stlouisdiscgolfclub.com/

The club is large (over 500 members last year) and sponsors many tournaments (some sanctioned, some not). There is also league play almost every evening somewhere in the area. Tournament and league schedules are posted on the forums.

There is a Vibram Birdie Bash in Lebanon, IL (not horribly far) in just a few weeks, and you can find more info about it on the club forums. I believe registration closes in a few days. If you want to see how you stack up against other locals, league/tourney results are typically posted on the club forums...browse around until you find some results from a course you have experience with.

Happy discing!

Thanks!

I do have another question, though. Can you use Innova Factory 2nds or out-of-production discs in a tournament?