• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where do you consider the disc golf "Mecca."

Not been around the country much, but the Carolinas are really becoming a solid place for Disc Golf. A combination of good varied geography (from mountains, forests, swamps, sandhills, golf course style fairways, lots of rivers ponds and streams, etc.), and the fact that while areas have been hit with economic downturn (my area in the Morganton/Hickory/Lenoir was recently ranked one of the 10 worst for job loss), this has spurred a creativity to utilize land for recreational development, and with Innova's East Coast factory right in the middle of both states which does good outreach with parks depts. and Disc Golf's relatively low costs compared to other sports is really spurring an explosion of courses. I don't know much about the Coastal areas, but there is great wooded golf all over the West, Hickory and Asheville being among the best tech courses around, and my home course in Morganton and the Ashe County park offer some great driving/big arm courses designed by Harold Duvall, another top 50 course Sugaree is a scenic 30 minutes from Morganton, and the players in and around the greater Charlotte area are popping out great new courses constantly with the fact Stan McDaniel's home base is there (he has also inspired many new young designers as well) and several great pros live nearby like MJ, Cam Todd, Jeremy Koling, Dave Wiggins Jr, etc.

Also you have the new Sawmills Course, just a few minutes from Hudson. Great new course! I was very impressed with the initial layout. Good use of the elevation and very technical wooded shots. April 6th is a grand opening tournament.

Ozark Mt. is a close Second on my list. Favorite Destination areas (in order of preference):

Highbridge
Ozark
Selah
Hornings
IDGC
The Lodge
Mont Du Lac
Mason County
Justin Trails
Farragut
PawPaw

Horning's above IDGC? Interesting.... is that based on the courses alone? Or with all the amenities factored in?

My personal Mecca: camping at Flip City with day trips to Leviathan, Mason County, and Bluegill.

Seriously, how the hell does it better than that?!

Horning's above IDGC? Interesting.... is that based on the courses alone? Or with all the amenities factored in?

Meh, I dunno - In my quick mental shakedown of this list as I was writing it, Hornings had a better overall variety, whereas IDGC courses were all incredible, but kind are kind of blurred together in my mind. No scientific reason, If I ran through the list again, IDGC might come out ahead.

Have to throw Kansas City in the top 10 definitely

KCFDC has a very active forum and has been said to be the best ran club

Leagues everyday of the week (Some days with more than one)

Tournaments every other weekend

We host a NT event

2 premier DG stores and 1 new store

+20 courses in the metro area including +4 rated courses.

It doesn't get much better :cool:

To some degree, shouldn't this be what the newly created Top 10/25 Ranked Destinations page is all about? Not necessarily by city or region, but in terms of specific destinations the serious travelling DG'er would be crazy not to consider in their plans?

Depends on how you define mecca. Is it about quantity of courses, quality of courses, local league scene, local tournament scene, etc.

Being able to play year round I think should possibly be a factor as well. I have spent the last 2 February's in Minnesota and only had the opportunity to play 1 course due to weather, time and the other courses I wanted to play were closed. The course I played is definately in my top 5 and hopefully the client brings me back when the weather is warm next year so I can play some of the other great ones in the area.

Highbridge, WI

no, this should be disqualified. Half the year its under snow. Any Mecca, should at least be 9 months of discin a year.

I totally agree that this facility is amazing and the courses within an hour drive make it that much better but Ocotber through April are awful months to be there.

Yeah....good point. Weather is a weird factor in a lot of ways in course ratings.....it does not seem to usually factor at all into individual course ratings at all (maybe no shade in summer in hot areas), but it makes sense to have it factor into the meccaness of areas.