• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who's number 3?

Olorin

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
The world record holder for the most courses played is Gregg Hosfeld with >850. And the number is now changing on a daily basis.
#2 is Ben Calhoun with >650 out on his own quest.
But who currently is #3 of the most courses played?

Someday Alan Brown will be #1 if his Play em all tour works out.

I recently read someone on here say that they've played over 500 courses. They'd be a good candidate.

Has anyone ever asked this question on discgolfersR.us?

Best of luck to Gregg, Ben, and Alan!

What a great post brother. This is really interesting. I've played what, 9 maybe...I am on my way. :D

As of six months ago, PDGA Board member Chuck Kennedy had played 454 courses in 33 states (100 of which he designed or helped to design). So yeah, that's pretty intense, and he's gotta be in the top 10, if not number 3 or 4. I'm at 188.

Yea the person who said they have played more than 500 courses has a post on the "one grand tour" forum, I was just reading that. I'm with Donovan with something like 9 under my belt...but less than a year playing, so maybe 20 years after i win a world championship we'll have to talk again ;-)

Just to note: The only reason Gregg Hosfeld has not already played 1,000 courses is that in his heyday, there simply were not that many courses. Gregg was a road warrior back in the day, juggling and doing Frisbee tricks across the nation along with playing top-level disc golf back when there were only 400-500 courses in the ground. He has held the record for most courses played for as long as there has been a record for most courses played. I hope he makes it to 1,000 first, he deserves it.

I played two new courses today, Bryant Park and Adair Park, in Albany Oregon...192 and counting :)

After reading this thread, I started adding up my courses. I have only played 14 so far, but I plan on heading to Austin in November and hitting as many as I can while on Vacation.

Still waiting for the guy who said he's played >500 to chime in...

Four more notches on my disc golf belt after a trip to Ohio last week, bringing my meager total to 33.

Well, I've actually played 204, but I guess some of those are private and not on this site. Maybe I've missed marking a few here too. But the same may well be true of the Doktor.

There are lots of people who've played way more courses than this, though.

I will claim that I've played more courses in NC than anyone, though, but I'd have to dig up the exact number. It's >80 and includes a few Very private courses, and some that no longer exist.

Originally Posted by Three Putt
Wasn't it Ben Calhoun who posted that? Isn't he "Innovadude?" Or do I have my forums mixed up?

I believe you are correct:

"I have played 500+ courses and am currently traveling the country trying to double that by the end of the year."
Even if that's true, then who is #3? Chuck Kennedy is currently the leading contender.

When I win the lottery, I'll do a road trip to play all of the ones in US and then all the ones around the world :)

There is only one course that I have played that isn't on this site...so I am still striving for the 200 mark...I'll get there within a month or so...will play one in Sisters, OR and Bend, OR (Mt. Bachelor) later this week and then some in the Boston and Philly area next month...my most exciting anticipation is playing the two Paw Paw courses in early Sept :) can't wait, I hear they are awesome....

and some that no longer exist.
I wish there had been a site like this that could archive old courses that disappear, because I don't think anybody has really tracked closed courses. I've played four that I know for sure don't exist anymore...One was in Hannibal, MO in a park I don't remember the name of; another was a pay for play course next to a ball golf driving range in Washington, MO; another was the infamous First Baptist Church course in St. Charles, MO; and the last one was the pitch and putt that was at Worlds of Fun in Kansas City, MO. They just sort of get swallowed up by time and forgotten, but I bet there are folks out there still playing who discovered the game on long-gone courses like these. It would be nice if they could be acknowledged somehow.

We should get a list started. I know of two, Windsor CO, hit by tornado and Cape Cod Community College closed by school due to vandals.

Tim,

I think it'd be good if closed courses maintained their listing on DGCR with an obvious indication that the course is no longer open, or playable. Maybe instead of the traditional green layout you used a red one for closed courses.

I think it would be nice to preserve the history of the old courses (including the scorebook entries) after a course closes.

ERic

Latest posts