• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who's number 3?

I completely agree -- I still count a course as "played" even if it happens to no longer exist, so for this site to be a real-world reflection of our personal memories and accomplishments in the sport, it should certainly recognize courses of the past. It's obviously not too useful to write a review of a dead course (other than a eulogy?), but still, I agree with ERicJ that they should be on the list. There are 6 extinct courses on my own list that I would add to my DGCR totals... Just another vote for ERic's suggestion!

By the way, the six I'm thinking of are...
Minnesota: Brown's Creek in Stillwater, Two Rivers in Rice, Mississippi Heights School in Sauk Rapids, Union Gospel in Shoreview, and the once-mega-popular Lone Lake in Eden Prairie.
Iowa: MacBride Park in North Liberty.

Last edited:
Everything is preserved since I just "deactivate" the courses so scores, etc. are still around. The only time I outright delete a closed course is if the listing is empty (ie. nobody has played it, etc.).

I'm open to making the pages viewable and giving them a gray theme or something.

It's obviously not too useful to write a review of a dead course (other than a eulogy?), but still, I agree with ERicJ that they should be on the list. There are 6 extinct courses on my own list that I would add to my DGCR totals... Just another vote for ERic's suggestion!

I'm not a fan of actually adding extinct courses to the site but courses that have been shutdown since this site went live remain in the database and in your played list as well. Currently they're just grayed out in your list and the course pages are not available for viewing.

I will definitely try to put something together to make those viewable but the information will be locked so new info, photos, etc. can not be added.

Originally Posted by dan kilgore
I've played 566 different DG currently and i'm looking to add a few more when I go on vacation in a couple weeks. I've made a copy of your list and if I make a wrong (or right turn) I could end up finding myself back in North Carolina again this year.

dan 'hyzer' kilgore #4697
Congrats Dan! Having played 566 courses you're #3 on the all time list of most courses played (as far as I know)!! Only Greg Hossfeld and Ben Calhoun have played more.

I am in the upper 30's. With my job and kids I have no prospects to greatly increase that total anytime soon. It would be nice to travel to some of the courses people are talking about on site.

I added three more D.G. courses this past weekend during the Sneeky Pete Classic tourny at Cedarock DGC, Burlington NC. I Played 18 holes at 'Rock Creek' & another 18 at 'Wellspring' on Saturday & then a final 18 on the 'temp' course Sunday. Shot a 61, 60 & 64 for a 4th place tie (AGM). Three strokes off the leader. Awesome weekend!

Yeah, Dan Kilgore told me that he's played in 42 states, with a goal of playing in all 50. I thought I was doing okay at 28 states, but Dan has me beat big-time. Pretty impressive stuff! If he has a few hours to spare, he should log them into this site so we can see the looooong list...

On a related note, I'm about to hit my own happy course milestone... just one short of 200! I think I might hit it in a couple weeks at Flat Rock DGC in rural Massachusetts. Can't wait!

Added four more to my meager total!

I added four to my total (121 + 3 extinct courses) this weekend, all between Seattle and Vancouver, BC.

Ben Calhoun is at 850 and is currently resting his body at home in Michigan for a couple of weeks before heading off again to the SE USA.

The Valkyrie Kid

Ben, what's your current total?

Yeah, Dan Kilgore has ~566.

You still might be the first to get to 1000, esp since Hosfeld hurt his back.

You know what would be really cool? I think that if you and Hosfeld played course 1000 together and got that record at the same time it would be fantastic. He's worked really hard for it too. You've had an incredible year, though.

You still might be the first to get to 1000, esp since Hosfeld hurt his back.

You know what would be really cool? I think that if you and Hosfeld played course 1000 together and got that record at the same time it would be fantastic. He's worked really hard for it too. You've had an incredible year, though.

Looks like Ben and Hosfeld will play their 1000 course together according to this post on the PDGA board.

Last edited:
You know, this is pretty much the coolest thing that I've heard today. :D

I've got 24 under my belt in under a year. I'll make it at least 25 by January (my one year anniversary). By that rate, I will reach 1,000 courses by...2047.

crap