• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why do you play disc golf?

It combines several of my favorite things. I've always loved throwing things at other things, and hanging out in the woods with my friends. I love the social and competitive aspects of it. And yeah, its just plain fun!

All of the above. But for me as well its an escape from reality. Maybe tmi but currently seperated from wife(disc golf was not a factor) and just like ball golf I can free my mind and bury myself in it. For at least the short moments in time all the troubles of life disappear.

Our sport has a rare combination for projectile sports; it's an awesome game that is extremely economical.

The equipment and well-designed courses make it awesome, and in my experience, the role our Discs have in gameplay is unique...Not only are they purchased with many possible aerodynamic properties, but they also wear in for different game purposes. If you're like me, you recognize the "personality" that each Disc in your starting lineup possesses and they're almost like family members. Throughout the well-designed course, you must use your brain and choose which Disc should accomplish which goal you have for each shot at hand. Left? Right? Straight? S-curves? Roller? Distance (and risk of it straying from your intended flight path)? What kind of fade or draw do you need at the end? What about the wind? Etc., Etc.

The basket! It accepts our projectile from any direction in gratifying fashion, too. You know you're hooked on this game when you nail a shot from over 100' away for the first time...

Plus, we can even do these things at NIGHT, and more recently, with the incredible, bright, long-lasting flashing LED colored lights that you can tape to the bottom of a clear Disc.

What other major sport can boast like we can about the intrigue our equipment holds? Some might, but then you consider the other half of the equation...cost.

Seriously, name me a projectile sport as awesome AND economical as ours? You can't.

Short answer, because its fun.

And now the long answer. I can not put into words what all this sport means to me. Some may laugh at that but, it's completely true. It's my one distraction from the grind. It's brought my wife and I together alone more than any thing else we have tried. I've gotten healthier. It's the reason I get up early on Sunday when I should be getting sleep. It's brought my friends and I back together as well.

The most important thing is that it got me away from video games. That sounds stupid, but video games were so much apart of my life that I was in the top 1000 online mp in cod on 2 different games. Pathetic. My wife was pissed at me and she had every right to be. 6+ hours a night plus working full time doesn't equal any time with the family. Dg probably saved my marriage.

I probably wouldn't have started playing if I hadn't gotten injured last year while snowboarding. A few friends invited me out while my left arm was still in a sling but I enjoyed myself all the same. I started playing with other friends that were better, and I found myself getting back that competitive feeling I had when playing baseball, football and hockey years ago. The best part is it's pretty much free. The discs cost money, but they can last years, and maybe you have to pay $3 to park at some places but it still costs almost no money.

If I had to distill it down, I started because it's fun, but I keep playing because it lets me focus on getting better without anyone else. I can go out, work on shots or play rounds by myself and the course is my only competition. It's measurable too! I can see my progress based on what kind of shots I can consistently make and how low my scores get, which is awesome. The tournament aspect and PDGA ratings just add another level to it, and I'm really looking forward to more tournaments and increasing my rating.

Because it's fun. The second it isn't fun I would find something else to occupy my time. That being said, I don't see that happening

I have a damn good time and it is a lifetime sport that I can enjoy with my sons.

Threw freestyle and played Ultimate from late '70s through mid-90's. We played "object" frisbee golf too, though I had no idea there was such a thing as disc golf, in the formal sense. Then I spent 7 years driving by a sign that said "Disc Golf ->" and kept thinking I should check it out, but never even bothered with a Google search :doh:

A little over a year ago I met the guy who owns the course at a town fundraiser, he was selling custom stamped Leopards to help raise money (I was immediately struck by the structural difference between that and the discs I was used to). I bought one and started talking to him about the game, and knew it was exactly my kind of thing. I asked what else I needed to go play a round and he said a putter, ran to his truck and gave me some old beat up putter (which I have since passed of in similar fashion). Within a couple of days I played my first round, and felt like I had found something...perfect.

So why do I play? Because it is the perfect combination of relaxation, exercise and challenge for my competitive nature. And because I can see myself playing it and enjoying it even as I get older. Because f the abuse I put on my body in my youth, I'm 44 and need a full knee replacement. I wear a crazy, pro athlete type knee brace to prolong the inevitable. Which means I'll never throw 500' but I'll always have fun. :thmbup:

I played my 1st round in '98 because I was intrigued. I've played nearly every day since because I'm hooked.

My reasons...in no specific order.

Being outdoors. Inexpensive/free because I don't know of any places around me that cost money to play and I haven't played in tournaments yet so I haven't had to spend money on tournaments and the only time it costs money is when I purchase disc golf equipment and lose disc golf equipment. When the time does allow it, I don't have to pay a lot of money to play more than 18 holes.

The social aspect of it. I like sports that to have a good time, you have to compete against yourself and others but also you are in a position that you may just get meet new people and converse with them. Who wants to play with a group of people who don't converse with one another?

Being active. Exercise. I need to drop more than a few pounds.

It is a sport that every time I play it, doesn't require me to lose excessive time with the people that mean the most to me in my life. Sure I find the time once in awhile to do more than 18 holes in one day but I like that this sport is very workable with life in general.

Believe it or not, it helped me deal with my fear of snakes. When you don't throw good shots all the time, I am sure as we all know, sometimes we have to venture into unknown spots to find the discs.

As cliched as it sounds, I really like watching the disc fly when I throw a good shot. I guess there is something about it.

I hate trees, I love trees, what trees? I hate trees, I love trees, what trees? I hate trees, I love trees, what trees? I hate trees, I love trees, what trees? I hate trees, I love trees, what trees? I hate trees, I love trees, what trees? I hate trees, I love trees, what trees? I hate trees, I love trees, what trees?

I'm just enjoying the ride.

Because it's fun. (Except when those sucky days when it isn't. )

I like throwing things at/into other things.

One more aspect of my life - MY LIFE! - that I can geek out over.

Latest posts