• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why don't more women play disc golf?

When I first started playing, I couldn't throw past 100 feet but I never got frustrated because my friend couldn't throw much farther. I didn't play with anyone that was actually decent until I signed up for a tournament the next year, thinking that I was good because I wasn't too much over the posted par. The day of the tournament I learned the 3-par rule, and realized I was awful. But by that point I was already hooked and just wanted to get to the point where I could finish a course at par, by threes.

My point is, my girlfriend would get very frustrated with the game because she was coming out with me as a beginner and by that point I had reached the point of finishing at par and my throws can reach 300 feet. I tried not to "coach" her (I called it giving a beginner some basic pointers that I didn't learn until my second or third year), and we started to play with some of my friends that haven't progressed like I have. That helped immensely! She didn't compare her throws to mine and feel like she sucked anymore. She started beating some of them, trash talking the whole way (gotta love her). Her confidence and drive to play the game have increased significantly. There is one friend she hasn't beaten yet, though she gets close, and when she talks about dg lately its all about beating him. More motivation to play.

That being said, she still won't go out on her own. Kind of like how most of the women in my life still look at me funny when I tell them about going to a restaurant by myself. She doesn't feel comfortable with either of those things one bit.

I don't know where you play, but where I play most of the guys are in pretty good shape. Much better shape than me. The guys I see all seem to have wash board stomachs, and I feel like I have a Kenmore Superload Washing Machine. I am working on it though.

I was just kidding around...

Probably. But I don't find sexist jokes any funnier than racist jokes. And a lot of women don't either.

Whether it's in jest or not, I think the "locker room" atmosphere keeps women away from a lot of sports.

I'm assuming your a white male. That being said: Sexism and Racisms is made so much worse by the crying of those not directly affected.
I'm not not saying that they aren't big deals in society, because they are. But applying the label of racism or sexism to anything related to the subject in any form whatsoever is just ignorant.

Seriously pot-pies!!!

AK

Whether it's in jest or not, I think the "locker room" atmosphere keeps women away from a lot of sports.

I asked my girlfriend about this, and her opinion is that this has very little to do with the lack of women for what it's worth.

But more on the topic at hand. I'm not sure why you don't see more women playing DG. My wife loves it. Maybe it's the outdoor thing. I think it's just sports in general are not considered "feminine". I think that's crap, but I have a teenage cousin who would not be caught dead in the dirty nasty outdoors. DiscChick has some good points about over-coaching. I think the biggest point is don't be a douche-bag. But what's the deal with punching in the neck. Whatever happened to the good ole punch in the face?
I'm a smart-ass by nature and it's all in a fun-loving Peter Griffin kinda way. If I truly offend anybody then I sincerely apologize.

AK

Be careful what you wish for...you just might get it.

There are some places a man should not be frequenting:
Baby/Wedding showers of any kind,
candle stores or even the candle aisle at you local store,
parties involving tupperware, Mary Kay, Avon, etc.,
any gathering of women where there's a potential for breast feeding,
any gathering of women where talk of mentruation could occur.

There are some places a woman should not be frequenting:
spectating at sporting events of any kind,
the hunting lodge,
the fishing trip,
the tool shed,
the disc golf course.

Christ almighty. "sidewinding," go back to 1958, and take your posting with you.

Last edited:
Wooooow.

You would hate my wife:

Goes to races with me (road racing, drag racing, drifting)
Season hockey tickets with me
Disc golfs with me
Wants a wood lathe

Wooooow.

You would hate my wife:

Goes to races with me (road racing, drag racing, drifting)
Season hockey tickets with me
Disc golfs with me
Wants a wood lathe

She does those things not because she likes them but partly because that's the only way she can spend quality time with you and partly because she does not trust you to do those things by yourself. You should find some common ground in between to spend time doing instead of always selfishly pulling her into your man hobbies.

Yeah I am gonna take advice from you..oh man wizard...hahaha

Actually she does like these things so nah!

And dude...really...what guy does not want to be involved in slumber parties?

Yeah I am gonna take advice from you..oh man wizard...hahaha

Actually she does like these things so nah!

And dude...really...what guy does not want to be involved in slumber parties?

Don't worry. You're not the only one on this forum that's in denial.

Be careful what you wish for...you just might get it.

There are some places THIS WOMAN WILL not be frequenting:
Baby/Wedding showers of any kind,
candle stores or even the candle aisle at your local store,
parties involving tupperware, Mary Kay, Avon, etc.,
any gathering of women where there's a potential for breast feeding,
any gathering of women where talk of menstruation could occur.

There are some places a MAN should not be frequenting:
A RED WINGS GAME WITHOUT ME,
THE SKI HILL WITHOUT ME,
THE BIKE TRAIL WITHOUT ME,
ANYWHERE NEAR MY CATAMARAN,
MY BIKE REPAIR AND SKI TUNING
shed (STAY THE H*LL, YOU SLOBS!)
the disc golf course WITHOUT ME.

There, I fixed it for you. :cool:

On a sort of unrelated note, I have never understood people that were upset by a joke, especially if they had nothing to do with the punchline. Like if two white guys told a racist joke and another white guy got offended. I was listening to the radio one night and the male DJ was going on some rant about he got offended by a sexist joke (a boy asks his dad why wedding dresses are white, the dad replies, "Son, because all kitchen appliances are white.") How could any non-female be truly offended by that? I thought the joke was kinda funny, hence I remembered it, and I'm the farthest thing from sexist. Hell, I even go out of my way to hold doors open for women and I've been told off for it a couple of times by feminists. I guess the point of this ramble is if we all had thicker skin we'd be better off for it. I hope I didn't open Pandora's box with this one.

Latest posts