• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why don't more women play disc golf?

Oh I do need to amend my post.

We did see a solo woman playing Lenora a few weeks ago. We let her play through and she stopped and talked to us for about 10 minutes. Very nice.

My wife played once but really seems to be taking to it. She even bought a disc off ebay! Keeping my fingers crossed she sticks with it but two kids make it tough to get out together.

Here is the pitch: "Let's go for a long walk outdoors and enjoy nature and throw a disc around while we're walking." My wife likes to play, but she is uncomfortable playing with other folks. She just likes to go throw with me and get outside. She is however starting to play with other folks, but she doesn't want them to be so good they make her feel embarassed. Not a lot of power, but she's hell on approaches and her putting isn't bad. We can throw up to 280' in our back yard and have an InStep. Yes, she has confiscated a bunch of my discs - like my new VooDoo I just got two weeks ago. And by the way, she's 55.

There are more an more women playing across the USA, is what I have seen since the late 90s.

Across our area there are a few women that regularly attend events. One... for YEARS, was
the only pro woman but she would show up with her hubby and play event after event with
the hope that more women would eventually show up. They have. Great to see.

I have also noticed that the event directors in our region bent over backwards to accomodate the femmes.

I think the key is to encourage them. My wife usually has a 2-1 drive ratio to me so when she puts one near mine I make sure to congratulate her. She also hits long putts that I don't even bother trying so she gets props for that.

I think she is a long way from playing with others though because any time someone lets us play through she usually does horribly knowing they are behind us watching.

Yet another exception....

Me and my girlfriend started playing together and go multiple times a week! She loves playing DG! We are also both into outdoor recreation so I bet that helps out alot. I'm glad I found my disc golf loving girlfriend before someone else got her!!:D

And if your significant other isn't interested in the sport just say, "Now when I started I couldn't throw very well either so just give it a few tries and then you can dismiss it if you'd like." Maybe that will work!

I think that one thing that helped us (and kept her in it) is we both started together...so it is "our sport" of sorts and have seen our own progression. I would bet if I did it on my own and she started she probably wouldn't have stuck with it so much with a big performance gap.

Here is the pitch: "Let's go for a long walk outdoors and enjoy nature and throw a disc around while we're walking." My wife likes to play, but she is uncomfortable playing with other folks. She just likes to go throw with me and get outside. She is however starting to play with other folks, but she doesn't want them to be so good they make her feel embarassed. Not a lot of power, but she's hell on approaches and her putting isn't bad. We can throw up to 280' in our back yard and have an InStep. Yes, she has confiscated a bunch of my discs - like my new VooDoo I just got two weeks ago. And by the way, she's 55.

now im super jealous. my wife wont get near my discs. although shes all for the kids getting hooked on it.

My wife played a little bit, and I even had her a custom dyed disc made, but now she just enjoys walking the course, and that is only on certain days. She dosen't go with me all the time.

My wife likes to play as much as I do. And this is alot. She is really girly and would rather do her kind of activities but we balance it out very well. She is still a disc fanatic.

She has the bag, several discs, and even posts her on occasion.

Oh, and we only know one other lady that plays. My buddies wife... They like to play just as much as we do. It is very relaxing and engaging. A great couples date.

But you are right, not very many ladies playing. Just know two.

Maybe women don't play disc golf because they don't want to hang around people who say things like this.

While I completely agree... I can however see thru the political correctness of life and guess that he was kidding?

It seems like a South Park reference to "cook me some pie"

No telling. Some women would be offended. Others would tell him to stfu.
Life is like that.

Do not get me wrong. I do understand what you are referring to. The world is full of sexist idiots, no doubt. Likely hung like a lightswitch if they are compensating THAT much.

While I completely agree... I can however see thru the political correctness of life and guess that he was kidding?
Probably. But I don't find sexist jokes any funnier than racist jokes. And a lot of women don't either.

Whether it's in jest or not, I think the "locker room" atmosphere keeps women away from a lot of sports.

How about a new question... How do you "sell" you female acquantences on disc golf?

This is an exerpt from the Women's Disc Golf Association website under "why should you play disc golf?":

Disc golf provides upper and lower body conditioning, aerobic exercise, and promotes a combination of physical and mental abilities that allow very little risk of physical injury. Concentration skills increase by mastering shots and negotiating obstacles. Players of limited fitness levels can start slowly and gradually increase their level of play as fitness improves. Scheduling is also flexible; a round takes one to two hours, and may be played alone, eliminating the difficulty of scheduling tee times. And as in traditional golf, disc golfers find themselves "hooked;" increasing the likelihood of frequent participation... Disc golf offers year-round fitness, even in rain or snow.

My wife likes to play as much as I do. And this is alot. She is really girly and would rather do her kind of activities but we balance it out very well. She is still a disc fanatic.

She has the bag, several discs, and even posts her on occasion.

I have to play the balance thing myself. When I went to San Antonio last year, I had to promise my wife that if she let me play disc golf in the morning, she could do something in the afternoon. After the round, we ended up at Natural Bridge Wildlife Park. It cost me $45 dollars to go see half the animals I could have seen at the local Zoo for $20, but I got to play Disc Golf, so that made it worth it.

It could have been worse. She could have wanted to go to a candle store, or worse , The Mall!

From my experiences with the women in my life, the sales-pitch I need to make to get them involved in the things I enjoy is MUCH MUCH different than for men.

Example: I got my sister interested in watching Bulls, Bears and Cubs games by giving her player's back stories. Telling her about the death of a loved one or charities they are involved in and why. Or even just about why its important for a player to have a good year due to heightened expectations and a upcoming contract expiration. SHE ATE IT UP AND STARTED ROOTING FOR THE PLAYERS!!! I showed her the emotional side of the game.

Disc golf has been a little harder. It helped when I told women about losing 20 pounds the first year I played, but now my form is much better and its not much of a work-out. My girlfriend is uuber competitive, especially with me and my usual frolf partner, so she actually gets upset with me if I go without her. But she gets frustrated because she can't throw even close to how far I can, though she is one of the better girls I've seen play that didn't know how to roll a disc.

Latest posts