• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

With the oncoming colder weather

How much will you be playing disc golf in the colder weather?

• More than usual

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • About the same as Spring/Summer

Votes: 68 42.5%
  • Less than usual

Votes: 69 43.1%

• Total voters
pfft... snow? what you know bout this here lake effect? i will play until then, and then i will tape 3-4 foot sections of surveyer's tape to my discs and blau! winter disc... ice bowl anyone?

As another Arizonan, categorized with the Las Vegan (Not of the Ray variety), I will be playing more. I played an awful lot in the 110+ degrees, but it'll be nice playing in the 50s and 60s in the coldest of weather. The biggest issue will be of less daylight. I will still play more however. This summer I could never play more than a few consecutive rounds with the heat. Now on days off Ill be able to play the entire day, and remain comfortable. I look forward to that.

Cold weather golf around here rocks. All the DB's tend to take the winter off so all the courses are pretty empty. Thick underbrush and leaves die out revealing never before seen lines to the basket.

I'll be out more than usual. In the middle of the Summer when the heat is at its worst and the sun is on the back of my neck, it doesn't matter how much I eat or how much water I consume, I always get dehydrated or heat stroke or something so I only limit myself to playing early morning rounds or PDGA only tournaments.

In the winter, I can wear more layers and the sun is usually behind clouds up here in NE OH so I don't have to worry about passing out. I'll be out playing at least 2 rounds a day after work and at least 5 rounds on the weekend each day.

I'll play as often in winter as I did in summer. I just won't have as much sunlight to do it in. :(

Hopefully about the same or more. It's never THAT cold here in NOVA and barring major snow events like last year I'm in.

I don't mind the weather, but when it gets dark so early and you have a 30+ minute drive to the nearest course, it's really hard to get weekday rounds in. I still play a lot on weekends, but overall I just can't play as much.

At least daylight savings kicks in about a month later now, which is nice. They should get rid of it entirely!

Given the number of times I've been out these past three years, I really hope I'll be playing more. Between work and hurting myself my course time has been pathetic. (My score shows this.)

This will be my first year doing glow (and not just moonlight), but it still won't be near as much. Mainly because my usual crew isn't interested in playing at night.

But, back in the day we played more in the winter, for whatever reason. Staying up all night to drive 45 minutes to tee off at the buttcrack of dawn was a common occurrence.

I'm hoping to get quite a bit of glo in this winter. the slips and falls will be hysterical.

usually 50's here in the winter i actually rarely play in the summer when it's ocean time

Sadly, it's not even an issue of weather for me. As the disc golf season winds down, the ice carving season picks up. By December, every weekend will be spent cutting ice in stupid cold weather. Maybe I'll do a disc golfer as my competition piece so I can at least think about disc golf.

i only started in the fall of last year, but i did play all winter except for the 1 month (February) where we had a snow pack of 2 feet. i tried playing in significant snow cover once and that was enough for me. i had too much trouble finding my shots. the cold didn't bother me. i remember playing one Sunday morning when it was 15 degrees. i do like how its easier to find my nasty drives without the underbrush. i plan on playing as much as i can, which no matter the season seems to be 1-2 rounds per week.

Sadly, it's not even an issue of weather for me. As the disc golf season winds down, the ice carving season picks up. By December, every weekend will be spent cutting ice in stupid cold weather. Maybe I'll do a disc golfer as my competition piece so I can at least think about disc golf.

how did you get into that?

Less, most likely due to working more hours at work, and needing rest.

That being said, there are advantages to winter play...

1. Courses are less crowded, and its usually the TDD crowd that stays home.
2. Foliage disappears from the trees opening lines that weren't there before.
3. Grass dies down and ground hardens allowing for bigger skips.
4. Ponds sometimes freeze over making skips off of them possible and disc retrieval potentially easier when they don't make it back to land.
5. "Minimal maintenance" courses that are overgrown during the summer, can be made playable for the winter with one end of summer mowing job and some cleanup.
6. Some locales get winter seasonal courses when their summer courses close down.
7. Ice bowls and glow golf.

Latest posts