• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Worst fake rules ever invented

Since we're reviving this thread, this one does confuse me.

In my last couple of tournaments I've come to believe that a disc like this _is_ in bounds. No?

Someone care to explain the "completely surrounded by water" bit?

All of the tourneys I've played in the DFW area (very limited - 3) have clearly marked the OB on water hazards. So far it's been at the "big drop off". This is clearly the best way to do it. A line of chalk at the edge.

For casual rounds, if you're on the sand bar, you can play it from there. Fun is the key in casual rounds with friends. It's also fun to watch others throw from muddy lies... no relief.

As for the "completely surrounded by water" part. If the edge of the disc is on dry land, it's OK.

In my last couple of tournaments I've come to believe that a disc like this _is_ in bounds. No?

I believe the confusion is because some people just say "Water is OB" - so you can argue that the sand is IB. But, 'in the spirit' of calling all water OB they probably meant that the whole stream was OB, but they unfortunately - didn't specify.

To alleviate the issue - OB should be designated by anything beyond 'whatever' line and mark a line along the waters edge.

Imagine a full creek (water) maybe 10 - 15 feet wide. Now picture a small island (sand, grass, concrete, etc.) in the middle of that creek. If your disc crosses the water's edge and somehow lands on that island, that's OB. Basically, if you have to cross water to pick up your disc, it's OB.

The creek level here changes often. If it's running high, there's usually no way (well, very few) way to cross. If it's low, there are numerous small islands of sand and other debris. The level can be high at the start of the round and low by the time it's over.

To avoid controversy, it's best to use some other line as an OB marker instead of the water's edge.

The rule is "Completely surrounded by OB" not "Completely surrounded by water" If the OB is defined as starting at one side of the stream and ending on the other side then anything dry inbetween those to is still OB because you are still surrounded by OB.

Water is only OB if specified before the round begins (either by the course map or the TD).

I believe the confusion is because some people just say "Water is OB" - so you can argue that the sand is IB. But, 'in the spirit' of calling all water OB they probably meant that the whole stream was OB, but they unfortunately - didn't specify.

To alleviate the issue - OB should be designated by anything beyond 'whatever' line and mark a line along the waters edge.
On a creek I always say the OB is from one bank to the other and any random rocks or dry spots you might land on in-between are still OB ('cause I simply don't have the money to buy paint or chalk and a chalkier to mark off hundreds of feet of OB creek on both sides...:rolleyes: )

I went up to a local course by myself today to play a couple rounds with some new discs. Met a guy up there who wanted to play together so I was cool with that. We appeared to be about the same level so we bet 10 bucks on the round.

All was good until hole 9. 511 foot downhill par 3. The course is heavily wooded and rocky. So there are paths where everyone walks. I had my best drive ever. Parked it 70 feet from the pin in the grass. The guy hits a tree 75 feet down the hill and lands at the base of the tree. He stands at his lie and has no shot because he is behind a 3 food diameter pine. He says he is going to take a drop. I was cool with that because it's a casual round. He pit his arm out like one would drop a ball in ball golf. Only he drop his disc on it's edge and it rolls all the way down the dirt path and stops past all the trees like 20 feet from my disc.

He gets a big smile and starts walking. I said he should throw from beside the tree. He argues that he should get to throw from where his disc stopped. I counter with I let him move in the first place so it would be easier for him. He gets absolutely pissed. He cussed at me all the way to his disc. Picks my disc up and throws it into some bushes and leaves. He also left his disc. So I laughed it all off and continued my round.

I went up to a local course by myself today to play a couple rounds with some new discs. Met a guy up there who wanted to play together so I was cool with that. We appeared to be about the same level so we bet 10 bucks on the round.

All was good until hole 9. 511 foot downhill par 3. The course is heavily wooded and rocky. So there are paths where everyone walks. I had my best drive ever. Parked it 70 feet from the pin in the grass. The guy hits a tree 75 feet down the hill and lands at the base of the tree. He stands at his lie and has no shot because he is behind a 3 food diameter pine. He says he is going to take a drop. I was cool with that because it's a casual round. He pit his arm out like one would drop a ball in ball golf. Only he drop his disc on it's edge and it rolls all the way down the dirt path and stops past all the trees like 20 feet from my disc.

He gets a big smile and starts walking. I said he should throw from beside the tree. He argues that he should get to throw from where his disc stopped. I counter with I let him move in the first place so it would be easier for him. He gets absolutely pissed. He cussed at me all the way to his disc. Picks my disc up and throws it into some bushes and leaves. He also left his disc. So I laughed it all off and continued my round.

Wow, what a bizarre tale you have told:)

Shale city. Lol. Don't usually get such poor sports up at that little slice of heaven. What vehicle were they in (so I can know if I need to make fun of someone to my friends!)? You gotta love pure-ing that hole. Wait till you deuce that one or 13. Makes your day.

On a creek I always say the OB is from one bank to the other and any random rocks or dry spots you might land on in-between are still OB ('cause I simply don't have the money to buy paint or chalk and a chalkier to mark off hundreds of feet of OB creek on both sides...:rolleyes: )

At least you specify bank to bank - I would believe that clears up any confusion of any islands that appear during low flow events.

I actually had a pastor argue that he didn't need a partner for doubles because his second throw was a holy throw. It was in jest of course but he stuck to it. Was I really gonna argue with him?

Last edited:
Shale city. Lol. Don't usually get such poor sports up at that little slice of heaven. What vehicle were they in (so I can know if I need to make fun of someone to my friends!)? You gotta love pure-ing that hole. Wait till you deuce that one or 13. Makes your day.

Dude drove a black escalade. His name was mike, apparently he comes up from the yreka area. I love shale city, I try and get up there a couple times a week. I was elated today when I pared hole 8 today. I try and play by the rules. I gave the guy a break and let him out from behind a tree and he goes nuts. Next time I'll enforce all the rules. Had my best round though so I left with a smile.

Was playing a B tier a while back and my putt ended up landing on top of the basket. One of the guys tried to argue that it didn't count but we marked it as a birdie. Ended up winning by a throw over that guy.

you were wrong on top of the basket does not count.

Dude drove a black escalade. His name was mike, apparently he comes up from the yreka area. I love shale city, I try and get up there a couple times a week. I was elated today when I pared hole 8 today. I try and play by the rules. I gave the guy a break and let him out from behind a tree and he goes nuts. Next time I'll enforce all the rules. Had my best round though so I left with a smile.

Not a local. At least you got a disc to cover the bet! You know about the members only course just outside of white city right? I can get you hooked up if you don't. Good people run it and frequent it.

All of the tourneys I've played in the DFW area (very limited - 3) have clearly marked the OB on water hazards. So far it's been at the "big drop off". This is clearly the best way to do it. A line of chalk at the edge.

Yeah, clearly chalk is unambiguous, if laborious. "Bank to bank" sounds pretty hazy, but could perhaps be interpreted by each card in a generous spirit.

I've played in a couple of tournaments in this dry summer that have taken almost the _opposite_ of the "bank to bank" approach. There's been so little water that they've basically declared most of the creek in bounds. Only if the disc is completely surrounded by water, i.e. water touching all edges (basically under water, if the water were deep enough), is it OB.

So, a sandbar in the middle of the creek would be _in_ bounds. And, indeed, most of the creek and bed was in bounds.

Fairly unambiguous, I think, if I've correctly understand the ground rule. Doesn't seem any worse than "bank to bank", certainly.

One of the TD's did declare one particular creek bed so dry as to be completely in bounds. He said that if you managed to find a puddle it was practically sheer luck and he didn't want to penalize that, so called it casual water.

A friend of mine was told during our league's weekly: "if it lands on the top of the basket, and you can push the disc into the basket with one finger, it counts."

:doh:

^^^^Should be added to rule book. :)

*Would make for some funny stuff. How about a single toe; I vote for single toe usage!!*

it's definitely a good idea to have one on you. and it's easy to do if you have a smart phone. just put an icon leading to the online rulebook and you'll always be one quick touch away from the most updated source i know of.

They have the rules on pdf also, so you can even stick it on your phone in the pdf reader. Works pretty slick on iPhone.

Latest posts