• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Yet another Rules Question

DiscJunkie

* Ace Member *
Silver level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Here's the scenario:

Casual round.
I get ready to drop-in my putt; so i grab my putter and set my bag to the side and wait for my playing partner to throw from inside the circle.
My playing partner throws an awful putt that goes around the side of the basket and hits my bag. He then attempts to charge me two penalty throws because my bag was in the way and was struck by his disc.
I asked where he got that rule and it turns out that "a friend heard it from a friend, who..." (sounds like an old REO Speedwagon song).

What's the rule?
1. Do I get a penalty? If so, under what rule?
2. Inside/Outside the circle, any difference?
3. Where does the disc go? Does it get moved or play where it lands?

Off the top of my head without bothering to look it up, no penalty unless he had asked you to move it, or it was deliberate (you put it there as the disc rolled, for example). I know there was some debate once about a situation where a disc was rolling toward your bag on the ground, whether you should try to move it or not.

Etiquette would say that a bag shouldn't be in a place likely to cause interference; I suppose it would be a courtesy violation for not doing something expected of a player.

Off the top of my head, anyway.

But at any rate, no difference in 10-meter circle.

This is the one that I think should apply:

803.05 Obstacles and Relief
B.

Obstacles Between the Lie and Hole:
A player may not move, alter, bend, break, or hold back any part of any obstacle, including casual obstacles, between the lie and the hole, with one exception: A player may move obstacles between the lie and the hole that became a factor during the round, such as spectators, players' equipment, open gates, or branches that fell during the round. Where it is not known if an obstacle has become a factor during a round, it shall not be moved. It is legal for a player's throwing motion to make incidental movement of an obstacle.

E.
A player shall receive one penalty
throw, without a warning, for violation of
an obstacle or relief rule.

C. (1)
Casual obstacles between the lie and
the hole: A player may move obstacles
which became a factor during the round
as described by 803.05 B.

Here is the one your friend is trying to apply.

803.07 Interference
A. A thrown disc that hits another player, spectator, or animal shall be played where it comes to rest. A thrown disc that is intentionally defl ected or was caught and moved shall be marked as close as possible to the point of contact, as determined by a majority of the group or an offi cial. Alternatively, for intentional interference only, the thrower has the option of taking a re-throw. Players shall not stand or leave their equipment where interference with the fl ight or path of a disc could easily occur. The away player may require other players to mark their lies or move their equipment before making a throw if the player believes that either could interfere with his or her throw.

C.
Any player who consciously alters the course of a thrown disc, or consciously moves or obscures another player's thrown disc at rest or a marker disc, other than by the action of a competitively thrown disc or in the process of identifi cation, shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning, if observed by any two players or an official.

If anyone called you on that in casual play, they are either a vag or you did something to piss them off. Your bag shouldnt be in the way but nobody down here would call you on it if we werent in a tourney

I don't think you could consider it consciously altering unless you threw your bag at their disc anyways.

Guy was just trying to stroke you to win.

As ettiquette, you should never have your bag where it can be in the way. However, I think it is his job to either move it or ask you to move it, before he throws.

Do we have a Rules Consultant yet?

If it's a casual round, I'd suggest:

1 - Tell your friend to quit being such a crappy putter
2 - Have your friend apply a generous dollop of:

vagisil.jpg

If anyone called you on that in casual play, they are either a vag or you did something to piss them off. Your bag shouldnt be in the way but nobody down here would call you on it if we werent in a tourney

I totally agree with you bro. He should just have asked him to move it or the interference is on him. And just for trying to pull that kind of BS in a casual round, I'd make him take the 1 stroke penalty for not having it moved. :p

As Sauls pointed out, no penalty unless the thrower had asked the player to move the bag. Potential for a courtesy warning since players are requested not to leave their equipment where it might interfere. Inside/outside 10m circle has no bearing on rulings although I would think a player wouldn't be warned if their bag on the ground way outside the circle was hit by a rollaway disc.

What a joke. If you are playing a tournament, then I believe a stroke as you must keep your bag out of the way when a player throws. For a casual round, you buddy obviously doesn't understand the meaning of casual...

You should keep your bag within reach all the time. While there's no penalty for what happened, it does suck when any disc hits a player or bag.

Just keep your bag within reach so you have it under your control. (can move it quickly)

No stroke, ever.

No player has to throw until the playing fields is clear and free of distractions. If your buddy went ahead with his putt, he is agreeing that the field is clear.

Now if he asked you to move it before his throw, then you would need to comply.

Well said, sir. I was thinking the same thing. Besides, it sounds like the bag kept the disc from getting farther away from the pin....

Your only problem was playin' with a D-Bag :doh:

What's the rule?
1. Do I get a penalty? If so, under what rule?

No penalty. During a tournament you could be giving a warning for a courtesy violation, but not many will give one and it doesn't mean anything but what it is, a warning.

2. Inside/Outside the circle, any difference?

No difference.

3. Where does the disc go? Does it get moved or play where it lands?

It stays right where it stopped at. You can not move your bag until after he throws if it is between his disc and the basket though.

You can not move your bag until after he throws if it is between his disc and the basket though.
Not true. The bag was an object that was placed in that position during the round and can be moved. (See 803.05B)

sounds like someone was mad about a poor throw and took it out on you

No penalty. During a tournament you could be giving a warning for a courtesy violation, but not many will give one and it doesn't mean anything but what it is, a warning.

No difference.

It stays right where it stopped at. You can not move your bag until after he throws if it is between his disc and the basket though.

Actually, this would be a moveable object according to the rules. It got put there after the round started.