• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

You make the call!

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Lets say you throw you disc off the tee, and it lands in a tree branch just above the basket. You go to get you disc, and shake the tree branch, and the disc lands in the basket. How would you call that? Is that an Ace?

No ace, If the wind had blown it free from the tree in to the basket then it may count. Shaking it changes the whole deal.

I don't think it's as clear cut as that. What about if someone else shakes the tree? If someone picks up your disc after your drive, takes it to the basket, and drops it in, isn't it technically an ace?

Last edited:
In shaking the tree, or having someone else pick up a disc, you're disturbing a disc that was presumably at rest, so it would be replaced at the original lie. If there's no 2 meter rule, you just take your second shot from the ground directly below the disc in the tree, if there is a 2 meter rule you do the same with a penalty stroke. Either way, not an ace, sorry.

How high above the basket was the limb? I thought that if your disc was stuck in a tree and was more than six feet above the ground that that was considered a stroke against you.

How high above the basket was the limb? I thought that if your disc was stuck in a tree and was more than six feet off the ground that that was considered a stroke against you.

How high above the basket was the limb? I thought that if your disc was stuck in a tree and was more than six feet above the ground that that was considered a stroke against you.

Only if the Tournament Director calls the 2-Meter rule into effect before the round starts...otherwise, no penalty.

To answer the original question...not an ace if someone disturbed the disc after being at rest. I'm not sure what the PDGA's definition of "at rest" is though, so I'm not 100% on how you would count if the wind blew hard and knocked your disc into the basket. Might want to consult a rule book or the PDGA.com Rules Forum for that part.

At rest is agreed upon by the group, just ask if the group thinks it's at rest if there's any question. If it went into the tree, and is still there after everyone else has taken their shots and you've walked up to it, it's a safe bet to call it at rest.

I am gonna agree on the not an ace. And the PDGA rulebook says the default is NO two meter rule unless it is specifically stated, so you would take your second shot from under where the disc came to rest in a tree.

But how about this- what if someone else's throw knocked it out of the tree into the basket. I would still say it had previously come to rest in the tree so it would still be stroke 2 from under that spot, but I think that person may disagree...

Let's think about it this way. If you don't clear the basket after making a putt, and someone knocks your disc out with their putt (despite it being technically "at rest"), don't you have to reputt and take an extra stroke? Why would you not have the same result when it works in someone's favor?

Don't you play a disc from where it lies? If you have a disc in a tree, don't you place your mini under it, with the agreement of your card in regards to placement, make your throw and then retrieve your disc (or do you mark it, retrieve the disc, and then throw)? If you shake it out of the tree before you throw, you disturb your lie and should be penalized for it. If someone else does it, you shouldn't have to take a stroke because of someone else's stupidity (if it happens to roll down a hill, I imagine that person's stupidity would get him knocked out however).

Plain and simple, when have you ever seen a tour pro touch another tour pro's disc in competition? There's a reason for that.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't have the answer. I'm playing Devil's Advocate until someone who finds the actual rule posts it to clear up the confusion. Great topic Midnight.

The rules clearly state that if a disc at rest that is on the playing surface (ground) OR is supported by the basket gets moved by any outside source (wind, dogs, spectators,etc.), the disc is replaced as close as possible to where it was as agreed on by the group. Any disc supported above the playing surface that gets moved by natural forces is played where it stops.

can i take a foot-foul of 100+ steps per hole and slam dunk the disc in the chains off the drive for a 1 stroke +1 foul birdie on every hole?

I wouldn't say it was an ace. Mainly because I'm hoping a mini or something of the sort would already be placed before the tree shaking.

Latest posts