• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Your go to disc for nothing but distance?

John8116

For a wide open, zero elevation, zero wind, 500 feet straight line tee pad to basket shot where the best lie would be whatever is closest to the pin,
what disc are you throwing?

What's the ground surface like? My only chance of getting to 500' would be a roller.

For air distance, tho, flippy pop-top star wraith.

I can't reach 500 feet so I would throw my buzzz twice on that hole, park my upshot and hole out. Now if the hole were say 350, I would hyzer flip my vision.

My max distance throws are backhand. I'm not very good at throwing rollers. I'd most likely throw a beefy Star Destroyer on an anny flex line. I feel a lot more accurate with flex shots than I do with hyzer flips. Though I'm not really sure if I throw farther hyzer flipping a flippy Destroyer or flexing an overstable one.

For a wide open, zero elevation, zero wind, 500 feet straight line tee pad to basket shot where the best lie would be whatever is closest to the pin,
what disc are you throwing?

500 ft.? I'll ask Paul McBeth to throw a disc for me, because I'll need either his arm or a slingshot of Philistine proportions to get a disc 500 feet.

Having said that, when I am throwing a disc for the maximum distance I can get, I'll throw a Star Tern or Blizzard Teedevil.

JMHO, YMMV.

Last edited:
I can't get there on a drive! But, no wind? I have nicely seasoned 149gr Starlite Wraith that I can throw further than either of my Terns.

I would throw my Colossus FH, intentionally turning it over too much so it turns into a roller about 200' out. I've gotten one of these as far as 450' total in ideal conditions (including a portion of the rolling phase being downhill). Flat ground it dies out at about 375-400' if thrown properly (which I do maybe one out of three times I attempt it).

Otherwise, my current max-D driver in wide-open space is a Teerex turnover shot FH which I can get out to 350' or so. With a tail wind, I might throw an Assassin BH with a slight anny - I've gotten that one out to about 350' as well with a helping breeze.

Last edited:
Star Destroyer. But being 100' away versus 130' or 160' away doesn't matter much to me, so I might just throw a Gazelle or OLF.

Slightly worn 175 Star Ape. Wouldn't quite make it unless there was a good tailwind, but there is a similar hole at my home course that I can sometimes get a 2 on.

I've rolled a 150g ZeroG (blizzard) Scorpius over 500 a couple times so that's what I'd throw if rollers are allowed. My longest air shots have generally been slight flex lines with a stable distance driver, either a worn Star Destroyer or Star Boss. However, that's only going to be like 425 max and I have a harder time controlling the lateral movement. I have GStar Destroyers that I can hyzer flip out to around 390 a lot more reliably so that's probably what I would throw in the air (then a quick upshot with a Pig and easy 3).

tp northman they glide for days. of course I will then have to throw my soft magnet as an approach because i'll have about 175' to the hole.