• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 United States Disc Golf Championship

I'm a fan of most every disc golfer... that being said, I think we all know that shooting well while by oneself vs. shooting well enough to win a National Tour stop is two different things. This goes double for winning Worlds... and triple for winning it three times in a row.

I'm a fan of most every disc golfer... that being said, I think we all know that shooting well while by oneself vs. shooting well enough to win a National Tour stop is two different things. This goes double for winning Worlds... and triple for winning it three times in a row.
You'd think everyone knew that we all know that, but maybe not!

Mike "DGCR-chosen" C has a lot of skills. For the past few months I've played with him or observed him; bottom line he needs tournament experience to rise to the next level. There is a large gap he needs to fill to compare him with McBeast (who has ice water in his veins) and even Charlotte's mid-level pros. In a year or so, with more tourney experience, he should be comfortable with a 1000 rating; getting to the 1020+ level will depend on his commitment.

The course is getting ready for the USDGC. Last week, the dock tee for #18 was installed and the beach green for #6 was rebuilt as well as much mulching on several holes and rehabbing the triple bamboo mando on hole #7. Today, some of the dreaded yellow OB rope was installed on holes #3, 4, and part of #18; also the new dock tee pad for #5 started to take shape. Still another dozen or so days to get the course ready. For the love of the game, this will be my 5th year of volunteer labor; a crew came down from Asheville (NC) last week; other volunteers are showing up every day; and the Innova crowd is keeping the pedal-to-the-metal led by Paul Bergey.

The caddy book is available here.

Some notes:

• Hazard rules once apply once again
  • Hole 5's tee has moved to a dock forcing players to tee off over the water.
  • The triple mando is back on 7.
  • A second pin position has been added to 8.
  • A second pin position on 13 means that 888 will be 803 on Thurs and Fri

If you glance through the Caddy book and look at the hole percentage (birdie, par, bogey, etc) for hole #5: for Eagle, it doesn't say 1% or anything, it just says McBeth. Hilarious :clap:

Just finished OB roping hole #9; it has changed alot! The inbounds area on the drive is narrower (approaching and near the wall); beyond last year's conservative drive landing area has been lengthened on a more direct line to the green but is narrow. This is not completely obvious from the caddybook. It can allow for a more aggressive/riskier drive, I anticipate the seasoned pros will play the hole the same way as the past few years as they should still get their birdie 3.

If you glance through the Caddy book and look at the hole percentage (birdie, par, bogey, etc) for hole #5: for Eagle, it doesn't say 1% or anything, it just says McBeth. Hilarious :clap:

That is great! For those that don't have the ability to download the caddy book or are just lazy:

82V1Ec1.png

Well, my official prediction has to be JohnE at this point. I talked with Joe Rovere this past weekend and he can barely throw anything beyond a putt at this point and apparently he will not be making the trip to Winthrop. Sad day. I guess the rest of the world can have a chance because he was going to crush it this year.

I wonder how tee times will work this year between the Perfs and Open? Peck Ham, any insight?

I wonder how tee times will work this year between the Perfs and Open? Peck Ham, any insight?

The past few years, the Open crowd had morning tee times on Wed, and Fri. and afternoon times on Thurs. and Sat. Pretty certain should be similar this year.

Went and had a picnic at Winthrop Saturday evening, and also threw a few holes. The new tee pier for #5 is gigantic. It is also way farther left than I imagined. The structure is pointed directly at the basket, though there wasn't any tee on it yet, so I don't know how that will be oriented. It is way above the water -- probably 6 or 8 feet if I had to guess. Throwing from there would be pucker-inducing, no matter what line you take to dry land.

p.s. There's a sweet QOLS about 50 feet out in the water off the 5th green, enjoy!

20140920_184617_zpsh6gscbvm.jpg

Wow, that changes things a lot for us mortals on that hole! I wonder if they'll put in an extra large pad so that it's not too tough to take any line from layup to the closest piece of fairway to an aggressive bomb. Can't wait to see how some of the big guns play this, especially some of the big armed leftys and fh guys.

Longer than anyone is throwing. The old tee made the hole 1000' or so, this tee should be at least 900' straight line from the basket.

Definitely a better tee position than the old ones. Can't wait to see it in play!

Per the Caddy Book, the lone tree on the edge of the water at the right side of the picture is 597 feet from the tee. Per an older caddy book, that same tree is 570 from the original tee. So this new tee certainly doesn't shorten up the hole at all.

I think the little bit of land you can see poking out just below that (water in between) is about 200 feet. So it looks like a huge shot isn't required to get to safe land, but with the foliage in between, it's a bit of a blind shot.

Looks like fun.

Latest posts