• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 United States Disc Golf Championship

New #5 tee pad

hole5newpad_zps9cd043bb.jpg
#5's new tee pad is enormous!
This shot went into the pond unfortunately!

Big changes on holes 9 and 10 as well. Much less inbounds area on both holes. also they have expanded the "stroke and distance" from just hole 10 to hole 9 and 10. This will make for interesting times as it amazed me how many competitors did not understand the rule on hole 10 last year.

I am marshaling again this year so I will be out there on the beach cruiser doing my thing. Not sure what holes I will have this year. Last year I had 9, 10 and 11. SO I want to meet you DGCR. If you see me say what's up! I met Sleepy and Tom12003 (he was one of my spotters) last year.

Or have McBeth spend time on DGCR helping people with their form

You're dogging McBeth pretty hard in this thread out of nowhere, but I'm guessing that the money you make down there on Slaughter Ln is due in part to his popularity and skillset.

You don't bite the hand that feeds...

You've never heard of him? That's crazy because he's won the USDGC just as many times as the best player in the world...

I'm confused. Is that meant in the same way as I have just as many Tour de France titles as Lance Armstrong?

I didnt recognize the guy in the video either so I am only half joking...

Edit: Is that Mike C in the video?.... Small phone screen still making it hard to ID.

Last edited:
I'm confused. Is that meant in the same way as I have just as many Tour de France titles as Lance Armstrong?

I didnt recognize the guy in the video either so I am only half joking...

Edit: Is that Mike C in the video?.... Small phone screen still making it hard to ID.

New013=trolling.

You're dogging McBeth pretty hard in this thread out of nowhere, but I'm guessing that the money you make down there on Slaughter Ln is due in part to his popularity and skillset.

You don't bite the hand that feeds...

McBeth was doing a little smack talking on Mike C. and everyone got butthurt.

i also like that jtacoma is the opposite of professional when talking about professionals being professional. i dont believe in "stooping to someones level," but if i did j taco would be squattin.

Well I just got fired from DN for this. Thanks a lot buddy.

Even if I believed this post (for the record, I don't). It would be nothing short of hilarious for you to blame running your mouth on me.

i also like that jtacoma is the opposite of professional when talking about professionals being professional. i dont believe in "stooping to someones level," but if i did j taco would be squattin.

I'm not sure you understand the phrase you have in quotes, and I'm definitely sure that you don't understand what I was referencing when that was part of my sig. In summation, you shouldn't speak about things of which you have no knowledge.

I'm looking for advice as a spectator from others who have been to the tournament before, since this is my first time. I'll only be there on the Saturday (Drive up Friday night, stay at a hotel, drive back Saturday evening), so here's my question: How do I make the most of the day?

Would it be possible to follow the women's lead card for a full round as well as the men? Where and when is a good spot to sit to catch a glimpse of lots of players coming through? What's the best strategy for getting a good number of autographs on my souvenir Roc?

I'm looking for advice as a spectator from others who have been to the tournament before, since this is my first time. I'll only be there on the Saturday (Drive up Friday night, stay at a hotel, drive back Saturday evening), so here's my question: How do I make the most of the day?

Would it be possible to follow the women's lead card for a full round as well as the men? Where and when is a good spot to sit to catch a glimpse of lots of players coming through? What's the best strategy for getting a good number of autographs on my souvenir Roc?

First, there is no women's lead card. There's no women's division.

Second, when you say you want to catch a glimpse, I assume you mean see them play. If you're there early enough, camping out on tee 1 means you can see all of them start their round. And if you are on the road side of the tee, you can easily turn around and watch groups coming down hole two as well.

Another good spot to watch play is at the crossroads where hole 7 (basket), 8 (tee), and 16 (basket) all come together. From there, you should also be able to see all of hole 6 from a distance. That area is also conveniently close to where they have the vendors set up (usually).

Third, autographs. A good spot might be on hole 18 by the scoring trailer, where you might be able to catch the players after they turn in their card. The tournament really discourages bugging players for autographs before or during play, but after they're done, most players are pretty amiable about signing if you're polite about it.

The coliseum provides a pretty nice spot to watch too. With a little walking around the building, you can see 11 from above, 12's tee up close, 13 from above, and 14 up close.

If you get there early, you can scout out the course a bit to find your ideal spot too. The Performance Flight will be going off before the Open players, so you can use the morning to see how the course generally plays without missing out on seeing the big names.

As for autographs, definitely wait until after. Most of the guys you'll want signatures from will be hanging around the clubhouse for the awards ceremony and distance exhibition after they finish their rounds.

With the new tee on #5, I'm not exactly where spectators will be allowed, but somewhere on the road near the #5 tee would let you watch tee shots on #3 coming down the hill (which is a fun shot) and putts there, as well as tee shots and approaches on #4, as well as the tee shot on the new #5 (and maybe 2nd/3rd shots on #5 from distance).

I enjoy time around the clubhouse. It'll give you a chance to see a lot of the pros in a natural setting while they interact with each other.
As far as spectating, hole 13 is my favorite. It is where the tourney is won or lost many years.

Last edited:
If your really interested in a full day, I'd walk the course backwards (18, 17, 16, 15, etc) once the Performance flight guys start finishing (around 10:30 or so). Let's you really understand every hole and see all of the players. That would get you back to #1 around the time the Open players start teeing off around 12:00. I'd float around watching golf along the road between 1, 2 and 3 as all of the Open players tee off. The lead card won't tee off till 2:00ish so don't wear yourself out starting too early in the morning. And then follow the lead card while trying to keep an eye on the chase card.

In addition to the road between 7 and 8, the "Spectator Tailgate Area", which is really a monster tent located between 5, 6 and 7 is another great location. You can see them teeing off on 5 (well, with binoculors), approach and putt 5, tee and play 6 and tee and play 7. All while staying out of the sun.

If your really interested in a full day, I'd walk the course backwards (18, 17, 16, 15, etc) once the Performance flight guys start finishing (around 10:30 or so). Let's you really understand every hole and see all of the players. That would get you back to #1 around the time the Open players start teeing off around 12:00.

As a photographer, on days when I am trying to get photos of every group, this is what I do. Reverse walk the course until I catch the lead card or until I get to hole 1, then, I usually jump ahead a few cards and do it again more slowly, catching the lead card on the back 9. Though the really nice photos are usually on holes 5 through 7.

Matt