• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Pro Worlds

Disc golf game for the dumb, good god. This is a non issue, if they were unmarked then Paul should have warned them. Terry said Devans caddy had a sharpie and marked his, im sure after a warning Ricky would have to. Then tada no strokes given. Both Ricky and Devan said there disc was marked hust faded so no warning could be given. Either way its not a story line.

Now how many strokes Paul made up in Portland is a story, that has got to be in the back of Rickys mind, especially with the ob at some of these courses.

Also, the dual, picture in picture coverage and bounce back n forths in coverage between top card mpo and fpo was fantastic. Lessened the dead time, and/or the excessive commercials seen in other dgpt and dgwt in other coverages. allot of us are interested in fpo division, but, don't want to miss out on the truly epic back and forth by Ricky and Paul. So kudos to you and your team making that happen, really hope to see that become the norm really.

+1!

just amazing how far the coverage has come in a few short years.

Really an amazing broadcast by SmashBoxx, loved the MPO/FPO double bill. I also kind of appreciated the way they said "no interviews, no chatting - this day speaks for itself" and ended the broadcast.
While Rick deserves this win and has played amazingly since his ADGT championship, Worlds would be a nice little addition to his great year. But honestly, I hope the next 2 rounds aren't just a victory lap for him and a battle for 2nd.

If Ricky wins this Worlds, there should be an asterisk next to his name. I bet he was using Owens' better lies all round long...

Just noticed the timer on Nikko's putt on hole 17. Was that really necessary to have in the broadcast? Did anybody else get the timer? Borderline unprofessional.

Still love the work Terry and the team are doing. Thanks! :clap:

I thought it was funny. I like the idea that players have to watch what they are doing more in these tournaments now that cameras are consistently on them. I feel like somebody should give nikko a hard time about how slowly he putts, cuz its obvious the players wont. Even tho nobody will ever call him on it he still is breaking the rules.

Really if Terry can get in Nikkos head about his putting timing it would do him a favor, nikko putts much better when he just steps up and goes,

Lots of golf to play here still!

Also, the Nikko timer was kind of funny, but also kind of not funny. It's all fun and games except for that this is the WORLD championship and every thing counts and we should not be mocking one guy for slow play. There are plenty of guys out there that play really slow. So I wonder how that might make him feel later when he goes back to watch the broadcast. I mean here he is, going toe to toe with Ricky and Paul and keeping step at every turn. Why should he in any way be thought of as anything less than what Ricky and Paul are? Because he has a routine that is different?

But seriously, bring it on tho. If someone on his card wants to man up and put him on the clock for real then go for it. Until that happens, we should not be sweating the Nikko timer or his routine. Look, the guy is running with the best right now and I am so stoked to see it and realize that he does have a chance to win this thing.

Lots of golf to play here still!

Also, the Nikko timer was kind of funny, but also kind of not funny. It's all fun and games except for that this is the WORLD championship and every thing counts and we should not be mocking one guy for slow play. There are plenty of guys out there that play really slow. So I wonder how that might make him feel later when he goes back to watch the broadcast. I mean here he is, going toe to toe with Ricky and Paul and keeping step at every turn. Why should he in any way be thought of as anything less than what Ricky and Paul are? Because he has a routine that is different?

But seriously, bring it on tho. If someone on his card wants to man up and put him on the clock for real then go for it. Until that happens, we should not be sweating the Nikko timer or his routine. Look, the guy is running with the best right now and I am so stoked to see it and realize that he does have a chance to win this thing.

Bingo. It's really a non-issue until someone calls it.

If Nikko's catching flak for his putting routine, can get put a timer on Philo's drive/lie/putt compared to the entire rest of the field??? Com'n... Unless his card is upset (in which case, they would call the violation) just let it go.

And as much as I was rooting for anyone but Rick... DAMN that kid's on fire this week!

If Nikko's catching flak for his putting routine, can get put a timer on Philo's drive/lie/putt compared to the entire rest of the field??? Com'n... Unless his card is upset (in which case, they would call the violation) just let it go.

And as much as I was rooting for anyone but Rick... DAMN that kid's on fire this week!

I think Paul's said before it's better that Nikko takes longer because he is more apt to miss them. That's probably why he doesn't call it, but gets bent out of shape for an allegedly unmarked disc of a competitor who is winning. Interesting dynamic.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, Nikko had one of only two Eagles all day on 17 and one of the only two birdies on 18. The other birdie on 18 was Sockibomb's.

Just goes to show you how far ahead these guys are playing.

I think Paul's said before it's better that Nikko takes longer because he is more apt to miss them. That's probably why he doesn't call it, but gets bent out of shape for an allegedly unmarked disc of a competitor who is winning. Interesting dynamic.

I suspect Paul is feeling put upon because he admitted his mistake and he feels they aren't. Ricky seems to have the mental edge right now.

Paul definitely said the Nikko time thing is in his, paul's, best interest. One could argue this is like not calling a foot fault till you see where the disc lands. Not the same, but definitely fun to consider.

Bingo. It's really a non-issue until someone calls it.

I think the real issue isn't that some players play too slowly, it's that that no one calls it. I don't blame Nikko or Philo or anyone else who plays slow if no one is going to make the call and force them to speed up.

It's the same as players who regularly foot fault. If no one is going to call it, what is going to prompt them to adjust their stance/run-up to comply with the rules?

If players would step up and make calls when necessary (not just when convenient), violations would decrease and the stigma would go away.

Anyone but Rick? That's the first time I've seen an anti-Rick sentiment.

I thought the call on Devan's drive on 17 was interesting.... roughly looks like this:
............|
............|
........ M | >
............|
...OB.....|
----------

His drive went first OB (crossing over OB letters) then missed the mando and landed OB.

The call was 'Mando always supersedes OB'.

I could find nothing in the PDGA rules or Q&A that substantiates that call.

804.04 A. A disc is out-of-bounds if its position is clearly and completely surrounded by an out-of-bounds area. See 802.02.B for determining when a disc in water or foliage has come to rest.

Note: It does not state a disc has to be at rest to be OB.

If a disc is flying over OB (and the OB line is defined as a vertical plane) is the disc at that time clearly and completely surrounded by OB?

If a disc completely surrounded by OB is 'out of play' is it, then, unable to miss a Mando?

Or as Terry stated on the broadcast, the first infraction typically stands....

I do realize the language in the Caddy Book states: Mando to right of tree, proceed to DZ with one stroke penalty if missed; So, in this case it was arguably not a misplay....

But I did think it was an interesting interpretation of the rules....

In FPO I'm pulling for Cat to take it down this time. I love me some Paige Pierce but I feel like it's Cat's time.

I'm Masters, I'm definitely pulling for JohnE to make a move today and get into position for the weekend. Would love to see him take this down. My dark horse would be JD Ramirez. Having played in the DFW for a year last year, I got to know him a little and he is a great guy and consumate pro.

Also, Des Reading looks to be in a great spot to start running away with it in Women's Masters. Go Des!

I think the real issue isn't that some players play too slowly, it's that that no one calls it. I don't blame Nikko or Philo or anyone else who plays slow if no one is going to make the call and force them to speed up.

It's the same as players who regularly foot fault. If no one is going to call it, what is going to prompt them to adjust their stance/run-up to comply with the rules?

If players would step up and make calls when necessary (not just when convenient), violations would decrease and the stigma would go away.

The real issue is that when anyone does call anything, the DG 'community' loses its collective mind and the player that enforces the rules is the one who is wrong. Cases in point: Stokely's foot faults last year and McBeth daring to expect players to mark their damn discs.

And since the online community, for better or worse, is a representation of the community as a whole, apparently expecting players to follow the rules is what constitutes bad sportsmanship, not the other way around.

It's a real ****show, and Smashboxx putting the timer up is a bad choice. It just highlights the unprofessional professional disc golf. Save that for the podcast and analysis, not the live feed.