• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2021 PDGA Professional Disc Golf World Championships June 22-26

Agreed that its not a big deal but I will say it was a big deal to me personally when I hit that mark a few years ago, and after the next update when I go down to the 980's I will be slightly sad but I feel like I accomplished something that 99.9% of disc golfers never will.

"Big Deal" is relative. Relative to how big a deal it was years ago, 1000 rating currently is less of a big deal, because it "only" puts you into the ranks of "competent touring pro". So, relative to touring pros, 1000 rating is NBD. But relative to 99.99% of the rest of the disc golfers out there, it's definitely a big deal.

Frequently, I think these conversations come down to whether one ascribes to the "2nd place is first loser" mentality. If that's the mindset, then any accomplishments other than winning, and winning consistently, at the top level, are "no big deal". But otherwise, it's just a matter of perspective.

1000 rated is definitely a BIG visual distinction on your rating profile. Is there a significant difference between my 997 all time high and if I had managed to achieve 1001? No, not really. But when you're talking to other local players saying someone has been 1000 rated holds a lot more significance (colloquially).

That said - I definitely feel like a real personal goal I need to achieve is 1010+... where once upon a time I would have been happier pulling off that 1000.

They travel to the European Open almost every year so why should it be harder for them to travel tot an European Worlds every 3-5years?

Only a handful travel for the European Open every year.

If I'm not in that 10-20 who have sponsorships covering my trip there's no way I'm dropping a couple grand to play worlds in Europe.

I get it, Europeans come here for worlds every year, but travel costs ultimately limit how many do travel…no different than US players coming over for the European Open.

I'm not doubting a Euro worlds wouldn't be done right, just saying the travel involved is a large barrier for the largest amount of participants. Don't see the PDGA rocking that boat for quite a while.

Only a handful travel for the European Open every year.

If I'm not in that 10-20 who have sponsorships covering my trip there's no way I'm dropping a couple grand to play worlds in Europe.

I get it, Europeans come here for worlds every year, but travel costs ultimately limit how many do travel…no different than US players coming over for the European Open.

I'm not doubting a Euro worlds wouldn't be done right, just saying the travel involved is a large barrier for the largest amount of participants. Don't see the PDGA rocking that boat for quite a while.

A quik count and i got it to around 20 US players in the 2019 European Open.
A Euro Worlds would draw more than that.

But sure, it would be a large barrier for many US players to get to a European Worlds.
But is it right to for a big international sport to allways have worlds in the US?

Would there be less US players and more European players in a European Worlds...Yes...would that be such a bad thing, maybe not.

Hard to make a sport large world wide if every big tournament and Worlds is in the same country every year

288 players total in MPO/FPO. . .284 from the US.

Hope Tattar can get a top spot, would be fun

288 players total in MPO/FPO. . .284 from the US.

Hope Tattar can get a top spot, would be fun

I can name 5 non us players off the top of my head. What's the accurate count?
Simon Lizotte
Albert tamm
Thomas Gilbert
Silver latt
Kristin tattar

I can name 5 non us players off the top of my head. What's the accurate count?
Simon Lizotte
Albert tamm
Thomas Gilbert
Silver latt
Kristin tattar

Simon claims Massachusetts at this point. I think this is the full list though however you want to slice it.

A Worlds in Europe would draw all the relevant (chance of placing very highly) players from the US and fill up with European donors rather than American donors. Personally I think it would be very interesting to see given the success European events have had getting actual spectators out to the courses. (I also think it will happen within a few years.)

Speaking of Simon, does anyone think he has a chance to win next week? He cruised to a top 10 finish at Portland while playing pretty mediocre overall. I also think Simon playing boring golf could smoke about 95% of the field. He missed a few putts at Portland but his C2 putts are looking pretty good. I think long putts will be the biggest separator next week.

I also think Simon has better touch than nearly every player on tour besides Paul, and that'll be crucial for playing well at the Fort. His excitement for being back on tour just might propel him to a win.

A quik count and i got it to around 20 US players in the 2019 European Open.
A Euro Worlds would draw more than that.

But sure, it would be a large barrier for many US players to get to a European Worlds.
But is it right to for a big international sport to allways have worlds in the US?

Would there be less US players and more European players in a European Worlds...Yes...would that be such a bad thing, maybe not.

Hard to make a sport large world wide if every big tournament and Worlds is in the same country every year

https://www.pdga.com/files/pdga_2020_demographics_0.pdf

I'd be curious to see if the percentage of am to pro members is similar in the US and in Europe. This only gives the overall percentage, which is 17%

Couple of interesting data points, approximately 55k active members in the US and 11k in Europe. So assuming that 17% is consistent you're talking about 9400 pros vs 1900.

I also thought the 2019 to 2020 percentage increase in memberships was interesting. 35.5% to 22.7%. I'd assume a lot of that was Covid related though, if Europe was more locked down than the US.

I think most of us posting here would like to see a European hosted worlds. With a 5:1 ratio of members though I think the pdga will continue to appease the masses for a bit longer.

I think most of us posting here would like to see a European hosted worlds. With a 5:1 ratio of members though I think the pdga will continue to appease the masses for a bit longer.

I think the first time the PDGA gets so much as a competitive bid from Europe (Rumor has it this will be coming shortly) it will be game on.

Looks like Valerie and Mason won mixed doubles. Her putt was really good this weekend at the Utah Open.

Attachments

• EFAF4C55-EF54-4DA2-B085-42E00350D28F.jpg
    EFAF4C55-EF54-4DA2-B085-42E00350D28F.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 55
Another PDGA vs DGPT showdown regarding courses? I figured after the considerable deliberation regarding Nikko's lie during the Utah Open that they would clearly mark OB's.

Attachments

• CC8F6C17-C0A7-4A6A-971A-EC79C22E9675.jpg
    CC8F6C17-C0A7-4A6A-971A-EC79C22E9675.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 102
  • EC55DD5D-3D2D-4CD5-BBE7-0F0F60C43DAA.jpg
    EC55DD5D-3D2D-4CD5-BBE7-0F0F60C43DAA.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 98
Another PDGA vs DGPT showdown regarding courses? I figured after the considerable deliberation regarding Nikko's lie during the Utah Open that they would clearly mark OB's.

I wonder if they have clarified the verbiage on the hazards (not OB) at least...

The vast majority of the time I tend to side with the staff on these issues but it makes no sense for them not to be marked one way or another.

Odd results, many high rated teams far down the list

I think that doubles teams who practice together can really learn who should go for it and who should layup, and when to choose who is hot. I played doubles a lot with a friend back in the day, and we'd play better than our ratings because we understood each other's games so well.

Simon claims Massachusetts at this point. I think this is the full list though however you want to slice it.

A Worlds in Europe would draw all the relevant (chance of placing very highly) players from the US and fill up with European donors rather than American donors. Personally I think it would be very interesting to see given the success European events have had getting actual spectators out to the courses. (I also think it will happen within a few years.)

Sure, but as a dual citizen he's still European.

Latest posts