• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2021 PDGA Professional Disc Golf World Championships June 22-26

Lots of problems with the OB, for sure.

Marking OB, even when it's a lake, is critical. Things like a lake can change water levels and the one thing no one seems to think about is the drop. How many times have you seen a creek not marked and then the meter is on the edge of the drop off? It's just not a good thing.

From what I understand the golf course would not allow marking. Obviously that changed.

I don't support that it wasn't marked ahead of time (which is on the host crew. The contracts the PDGA gives worlds TD - i've signed one - talks about the host is fully in charge of venue) and I don't like the idea it was added midway through the competition.

However, this is getting waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overblown.

Despite Eagle's "this was in yesterday out today" comment, these lines didn't change the result of 99.5% of the shots. The lines were so closed to the edges of these fall offs, etc. The overblown reaction Eagle had was silly.

Also, while I would have given then opinion if I was on staff that we should not paint midway through, if you are going to do it, they did it at the perfect time. After 2 days, all MPO scores are comparable. "Changing" (and I use that word so loosely because nothing changed - it's not like they went and extended an OB 50 feet or added something) a course at a midpoint when all scores are comparable is not a competition integrity situation.

Agree with most of this. Mostly that it is overblown. Yup, sometimes rules need to be settled by the player and card. Just do your job out on the course and throw a provisional if needed.

I get they are playing for money, but the game is the same for all of us. Until we have permanent venues for tournaments, inconsistency is going to keep happening.

If pros want a higher standard to go out and make their living, step up. Form the Professional Disc Golf Players Association. Hire a TD firm to scout venues and prepare them for professional tournaments. It is NEVER going to seem like a good look, to trash volunteers, spending their free time, after their jobs/families, to set you up to make money at your job.

Big Paige fan but i starting to hope she will loose and maybe learn something. . but she have blown two Worlds before and did not learn then.

Watched the FPO R3 again and i hope we will hear from Paige what she was thinking going for that putt on 11.

She walk up to her Birdy putt in a 5 strockes lead and Cat has just missed her par putt.
Paiges putt is VERY obstructed and high risk. . layup is easy. . .but shes Paige and goes for is, miss, gets the obvious long comebacker..misses that to.

Then her play on 18...again.
She blew in in the finals 2016. . .threw 18 OBs in 2018. . will she threw it away again in 2021

If that is casual water on 14 then Emerson mis played it. He was on the bank on the other side of the creek and should have played from there. That painted line should not have been there and had no bearing on his lie according to the map of the hole.

If that is casual water on 14 then Emerson mis played it. He was on the bank on the other side of the creek and should have played from there. That painted line should not have been there and had no bearing on his lie according to the map of the hole.

What did that line do? Why even have a line.
Sure looked like a misplay

So freaking pumped to watch Vinny play today. The man has ice in his veins! His mental game seems to have this weird balance of not caring too much to get upset about bad breaks but focused enough to execute when it matters most.

He said his throws were pretty bad yesterday and his putting allowed him to put up a good score. I could see him potentially shredding the Fort today since he won't need to throw distance driver much and his putt is getting more and more dialed.

I've heard rumors that Calvin plans to change sponsors at the end of this year. If that's true, and if he wins, it'd be interesting if winning (and seeing the money come in from having a disc with his world champ name on it) changes things.

If he wins, gets paid more by Innova, and leaves, that seems like evidence that being sponsored by Innova is not that great.

What did that line do? Why even have a line.
Sure looked like a misplay

Is it a misplay if the card agrees?

The rule is back along the LOP.

Kind of looked like to me everything from the white line to OB must be considered casual water area and free relief at the point of entry was granted.

Looked like there was some kind of official that was present helping to make the call.

I've heard rumors that Calvin plans to change sponsors at the end of this year. If that's true, and if he wins, it'd be interesting if winning (and seeing the money come in from having a disc with his world champ name on it) changes things.

If he wins, gets paid more by Innova, and leaves, that seems like evidence that being sponsored by Innova is not that great.

Plans on listening to offers from other companies or actively looking to go elsewhere?

This seems like a lot of conjecture and a false conclusion. I am confident that a plethora of things would go into any decision to leave or stay with Innova. I don't think leaving or staying can be seen as any indication of Innova being great or not. Unless you have some insider knowledge of how Innova is personally handling their sponsored pro players.

Plans on listening to offers from other companies or actively looking to go elsewhere?

I would imagine most pros are willing to hear what another company has to offer regardless of what their current intentions are. I'd like to see Vinny stick with Innova, but I would guess DD will be trying hard to go after him. DD has virtually no representation at the top and Calvin could be their torchbearer. He's pretty good friends with Eric Oakley as well from what I gather.

Just look at the companies represented on the lead card yesterday. You've got the big dogs in Innova and Discraft, but even MVP and Lat64 are being represented. DD is nowhere to be found even going down several more cards. MVP's investment in Conrad is paying huge dividends in terms of exposure. DD desperately needs to secure a top 10, or even top 5, player.

I would imagine most pros are willing to hear what another company has to offer regardless of what their current intentions are. I'd like to see Vinny stick with Innova, but I would guess DD will be trying hard to go after him. DD has virtually no representation at the top and Calvin could be their torchbearer. He's pretty good friends with Eric Oakley as well from what I gather.

Just look at the companies represented on the lead card yesterday. You've got the big dogs in Innova and Discraft, but even MVP and Lat64 are being represented. DD is nowhere to be found even going down several more cards. MVP's investment in Conrad is paying huge dividends in terms of exposure. DD desperately needs to secure a top 10, or even top 5, player.

Sorry for being out of touch with the new, up and comers in the pro game, but who is Vinny?

whats nikko sport science by taking a minute to putt
I would guess that the problem is he can't "find" the focus. The best time to putt is when you're ready to focus on the putt. I'm not saying this to excuse it, just a rationale. I agree that he takes too long. And at times he seems to get paralysis because he can't find the right mental place.

Oh yeah I agree it's worth it for them to listen to all offers, puts them in the best position to negotiate.

OP was making it sound like he was already planning on actively looking for a new sponsor.

Might be a topic for its own thread, but it's been discussed before if pro names on discs really boost sales. Not necessarily aiming that at anybody who posts here…we're the minority…more so the random person who walks into a PIAS or Dick's and grabs a disc off the rack. With Covid slowing production for a bit and the recent boom in new players, are manufacturers needing pros to move plastic at this point? Demand far exceeds supply right now.

I would guess that the problem is he can't "find" the focus. The best time to putt is when you're ready to focus on the putt. I'm not saying this to excuse it, just a rationale. I agree that he takes too long. And at times he seems to get paralysis because he can't find the right mental place.

Interesting that you describe it this way.

I think everybody to a certain extent will line up to a shot and quickly consider wind, elevation, slope, stuff like that and come up with the ideal throw. The paralysis piece of your description is what stands out. For me I'd almost obsess over any variable imaginable, line up the shot and kind of half commit. Not necessarily because I wasn't confident in what I was trying to throw, but because I was still assessing things mid throw, it was a subconscious thing.

Probably the best way I've found to describe my ADD is a two step approach. First off, if something isn't mentally stimulating and doesn't set off the mental lightning rod I've already moved on and looking for something that will. So in the dg example I would say that lack of focus isn't really the issue, it's more like a hyper focus and an inability to filter that down to one specific thing, but from an outside perspective it looks like a lack of focus.

Meds have definitely helped in my instance. There was a thread about testing players for PED's, and several pros were calling out Adderall specifically. Not sure how I feel about that, but can't foresee any kind of testing for quite some time if at all.

Interesting that you describe it this way.

I think everybody to a certain extent will line up to a shot and quickly consider wind, elevation, slope, stuff like that and come up with the ideal throw. The paralysis piece of your description is what stands out. For me I'd almost obsess over any variable imaginable, line up the shot and kind of half commit. Not necessarily because I wasn't confident in what I was trying to throw, but because I was still assessing things mid throw, it was a subconscious thing.

Probably the best way I've found to describe my ADD is a two step approach. First off, if something isn't mentally stimulating and doesn't set off the mental lightning rod I've already moved on and looking for something that will. So in the dg example I would say that lack of focus isn't really the issue, it's more like a hyper focus and an inability to filter that down to one specific thing, but from an outside perspective it looks like a lack of focus.

Meds have definitely helped in my instance. There was a thread about testing players for PED's, and several pros were calling out Adderall specifically. Not sure how I feel about that, but can't foresee any kind of testing for quite some time if at all.
When I describe my own situation - I consider what you're describing to be a lack of focus. I have a mental place I need to find each day, a focal point, and then make sure I put myself there before every throw. And being obsessive over all of those variables, resulting in still assessing mid-throw, is a result of my failure to achieve the appropriate focal point. I need to get past all of those things pre-throw, and then get my focal point on *just* the right thing, and that's where I can act freely/thoughtlessly - the point where I am "focused" is a specific place I'm filtering down to (as you say).

Latest posts