• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

About giving away discs

I have given tons of plastic away to everyone from newbs to older guys and everyone in between. I only throw a couple different types of discs so if I find stuff I wont use, it goes to someone who will use it

I gave a disc to a new member of our DG group. The disc was a tree magnet for me, and wouldn't you know it, he threw it in the basket from the tee last Sunday. He's been playing for 2 months and gets an ace (short hole but still counts) and I've been playing for 2 years and haven't hit one yet, AND he used MY disc to do it.

I was given a disc to start, so I consider it my privilege to give away discs. Have given away far more than I have in my bag or have lost. Not even close on that count. There are two kinds of people really, givers and takers. You have to decide which you are.

I gave a disc to another player this afternoon. My son and I were playing and a single player behind us threw into us by mistake as he could not see us from the tee box.

We asked him to join us and 2 holes later he shanked a Shark, his favorite disc, into the briars and was never seen again. The next tee box, I flipped him my Shark, which I never throw, and he was speechless. By the end of the round, he said he liked it better than his old one.

Since I started playing last August, I've probably spent $2000-2500 on discs and other equipment. I've outfitted 5-6 friends with a complete bags and discs.

One friend told me he was actually going to buy a new Beast for his birthday. He thought it was funny since he has a full bag and it would be the first dime he's spent on the sport . LOL

I do this for two reasons. One, if I give away the discs in my bag that I don't use much, it frees up space for new discs I want to try. Second, if I don't buy my friends off, who's going to play with me? After all, I am kind of an obnoxious plick! LOL

Woodpecker

I gave a disc to another player this afternoon. My son and I were playing and a single player behind us threw into us by mistake as he could not see us from the tee box.

We asked him to join us and 2 holes later he shanked a Shark, his favorite disc, into the briars and was never seen again. The next tee box, I flipped him my Shark, which I never throw, and he was speechless. By the end of the round, he said he liked it better than his old one.

Since I started playing last August, I've probably spent $2000-2500 on discs and other equipment. I've outfitted 5-6 friends with a complete bags and discs.

One friend told me he was actually going to buy a new Beast for his birthday. He thought it was funny since he has a full bag and it would be the first dime he's spent on the sport . LOL

I do this for two reasons. One, if I give away the discs in my bag that I don't use much, it frees up space for new discs I want to try. Second, if I don't buy my friends off, who's going to play with me? After all, I am kind of an obnoxious plick! LOL

Woodpecker

Why can't you live in the Charlotte area?

Woodpecker

Want to be my friend????

I love giving stuff away. Last year I saw a dad and his son out playing. They only had 2 discs between them and they were hopelessly looking for 1 of them. I went back to my truck and I had a stack of about 6-8 under my seat. You should have seen how excited they both were when I gave them all to them. That was super gratifying. So far this year I have only given away a couple discs but I did give away an extra bag that I had. If you do enough good I figure it will come back eventually.:)

I try to give discs to people I see that I actually think will get into the sport and are mature or polite. If I'm out and see the underwear brothers, I'm not going to give them a disc, and probably won't help them even find their disc :mad:. I've given lots of discs to friends, and if they end up getting more, they give those discs away to their other friends that are starting. Kind of pass-around discs :)

I have given away many discs and I have never missed them save for the time I watched a friend of mine park a sweet thumber with the Surge I gave him. I have given away a few bags too. Gave one guy a bag when I got new bigger one. When I outgrew that bag I gave it to the same friend and he in turn gave my first bag to a newer player friend of his.

I don't give away discs often, but I will give away lopsided trades to people. later this week i'll probably trade a hi-flex Diablo DT, a Star Coyote, and possibly a DX Aviar for a DX Stingray. I've got a decent amount of discs I don't use, and only a few that I really like. I also know that it will promote more people to play, and that's invaluable. More people playing means more courses which means more enjoyment from this great sport.

I gave a guy a disc the other day without even knowing him. He was talking about how much he missed his Monster and wished he had another overstable driver. I had a Star Xcal in my car and gave it to him at the end of the round. I never used the thing and Im too lazy to trade or sell them so why not help a brother out.

Everydisc my brother throws was given to him by me.

Many of my friends are new to the sport and only have one disc. I have acquired quite a few in a short time and feel good when I can help them out by providing a putter or mid range (whatever they need).

I have a couple oof friends who I have definitely outfitted by always having them try new things or giving away something I couldn't figure out how to throw. Not many people played when/where I started playing...so I've always felt the need to grow the sport.

I did give one to a little boy on a course once that made me feel pretty good about myself. These two little boys were following me around playing behind me and they only had one disc between them, which clearly belonged to one of the boys:) Now they were only about 7 or 8, this course was right near some apartments, so I called them up by me and tried to help them throw a little farther. After about 2 holes of this one little boy really learning how to toss a disc, I ran to my car and dug out a 150 Champ Cheetah or Leopard and gave it to the other little boy so that he and his friend could play together. That little boy was so happy....even his dad ran out to catch me as I was leaving to make sure his little boy was telling the truth and to thank me....someday that kid's gonna be better than Climo and Doss combined!!!!!! while I will be the shadowy figure of legend....like Merlin or something:)

i was introduced to the game by a group of three friends, all of which gave me a disc or two, so i almost always give friends i introduce to the game a couple discs. i usually have at least a couple discs i'm mad enough at to give away anyway (especially putters)

When I got my tourney minis from Little Flyer they included a disc called the Maximizer. On the disc was printed that I should use that disc to introduce someone to the game. It is in my truck waiting on the next unsuspecting person to aide them in becoming addicted to disc golf.

I left a POS Aerobie Arrow under a basket the other day and saw some kids playing after me with it. Does that count? :D

Latest posts