• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

? about jump putt.

I bet if they didn't putt that way they'd win more.
Not a strength issue, and clearly you don't know enough about the top pro players. That comment just lost you plenty of credibility. Ulibarri who held the lead most of Pro Worlds, two of the best putters on the planet who are clutch outside of the circle. They can throw over 500', but outside the circle that stepping jump putt helps with their putting accuracy. They win an awful lot.

Not a strength issue, and clearly you don't know enough about the top pro players. That comment just lost you plenty of credibility. Ulibarri who held the lead most of Pro Worlds, two of the best putters on the planet who are clutch outside of the circle. They can throw over 500', but outside the circle that stepping jump putt helps with their putting accuracy. They win an awful lot.

I'm not worried about your perception of my credibility, I have never talked like I know top pros, others do that. I was replying to the original posters comments who has played for less then a year.

Last edited:
Except your comment that without jump putting they would win more than they do. Nothing personal. I'm bored at work and wanted to pick an argument/discussion.

OK, as far as the debate goes, 2 things.
I agree, it's not about strength, It's about accuracy and jump putts creates unnecessary body movements which takes away from accuracy.
The second thing is the pros you mentioned, I would bet there are more pros who do not jump putt than do do it......do-wop-didee.

Well when I started the jump putt I was nailing 50-100 ft's a lot more regularly but someone told me I was releasing in the air. Since I've been working with it I cant get a comfortable release or timing down. My regular stand "Push Putt" technic can get there but I have to use more elbow which takes off some accuracy so not a high percent of making them, although there pretty close. Does anyone do like a falling putt or anything. Thinking of doing my regular putt style but having more forward momentum outside the circle...

And yes your Pretty BCR123PSU

I agree, it's not about strength, It's about accuracy and jump putts creates unnecessary body movements which takes away from accuracy.

In theory, yes, but....

My regular stand "Push Putt" technic can get there but I have to use more elbow which takes off some accuracy so not a high percent of making them, although there pretty close.

That's the line that gets crossed and it's in a different place for everyone. I'm the same way. Even the side stance loft putters typically rock forward onto their front foot (Ken Climo style) It's not a jump but it is using the lower body to generate power. A point is reached where the power required to putt the disc is more than is "comfortable" to do with just arm/wrist/shoulder/whatever.

40ft or so is my "line", then start to add light jump. If I don't I try to flick too much and often send a putt high and right in a wobbly arc. At 60ft I typically abandon the putt and go into more of an approach shot/spin putt form where I'm less concerned with making the putt and more concerned about leaving the disc close, though I do run at on a hyzer route or a stall shot. Occasionally, one goes in.

In theory, yes, but....

That's the line that gets crossed and it's in a different place for everyone. I'm the same way. Even the side stance loft putters typically rock forward onto their front foot (Ken Climo style) It's not a jump but it is using the lower body to generate power. A point is reached where the power required to putt the disc is more than is "comfortable" to do with just arm/wrist/shoulder/whatever.

40ft or so is my "line", then start to add light jump. If I don't I try to flick too much and often send a putt high and right in a wobbly arc. At 60ft I typically abandon the putt and go into more of an approach shot/spin putt form where I'm less concerned with making the putt and more concerned about leaving the disc close, though I do run at on a hyzer route or a stall shot. Occasionally, one goes in.
I agree body movement is required, unnecessary body movement is not. If a new player ask I will always say never jump putt.

I agree body movement is required, unnecessary body movement is not. If a new player ask I will always say never jump putt.

I think jump putting is an advanced technique. Most players should not do it, and most that do, do it poorly.

For those that do want to do it, i suggest Feldberg/bcr123psu's style. not really a jump, but more of a follow through.

If people want to jump putt that shouldn't, who cares. we play to win the game, edit. we play for fun. jump putt like a silly goose, let that nuke rip. carry 24 discs, but most importantly have fun (and lose to me in skins)

If done right it's not really extra movement, it's more of a preexisting movement done much harder.

The jump part comes from a much harder weight shift. Everything else in the putt is the same, they just shift their weight hard enough to push themselves forward. No matter who you are you have to putt harder to get to the basket at 100' than you do at 20' so that extra movement to get that power has to come from somewhere. They choose to have it come from weight shift while keeping their arm movement more similar, which IMO, is prone to fewer errors than varying your arm movement to get more distance.

If done right it's not really extra movement, it's more of a preexisting movement done much harder.

The jump part comes from a much harder weight shift. Everything else in the putt is the same, they just shift their weight hard enough to push themselves forward. No matter who you are you have to putt harder to get to the basket at 100' than you do at 20' so that extra movement to get that power has to come from somewhere. They choose to have it come from weight shift while keeping their arm movement more similar, which IMO, is prone to fewer errors than varying your arm movement to get more distance.

I played in a tourney with a guy who steped out every putt he did and he said at 33 ft he did the jump put and i saw him miss some 30 ft but anything 35+ he would make with the jump putt. he's been playing a long time and I am sure he ahs mastered it but it was just funny to watch him walk step all his putts.

Exactly! The jump is a body follow through...

Exactly! Jump putters are adding a more forceful weight transfer with the lower body to maintain an arm motion and power range that is within control.

The fewest moving parts theory is true...but only to a point. Once the power requirement exceeds the control (only using the arm and wrist for putting) it breaks down. YOu will need extra power from somewhere, jump putting is just one way of getting it.

FWIW, I only jump putt now because I straddle putt. I doubt I would use it if I were a side stance putter or spin putter. I chose the jump putt because it is a natural progression from straddle putting to get more power and maintaining a very familiar arm swing and wrist motion. For me, it isn't a "oh my, I'm at 35ft, I have to jump" but the result of adding more and more lower body to create the power, at which some point it's enough to create a little "jump"

Last edited:
i don't think ulibarri is the person to consult on this matter since locastro stomped him, and everyone else, by 6 strokes or so at this year's stl open (though that may have not come down to putting...) :\

You base his skills on his performance at one tournament against a player who is argueably the current best in the world at his home course? Great reasoning! :doh:

The second thing is the pros you mentioned, I would bet there are more pros who do not jump putt than do do it......do-wop-didee.

It is not necessarily true that jump putting adds more body movement. It depends on your putting style. Many players use a body weight shift to generate power. As the distance increases they need more weight shift. As the weight shift increases it becomes more difficult to maintain balance behind the lie. Outside of 10m it is no longer necessary to do that and you can step(or jump) past your lie after release. So for some people, the follow through is just a way to avoid falling flat on their face after release.

I would never try to suggest to some one who's making their putts, while jumping after releasing the disc, to stop doing what they're doing. But I will always advise a new player not to do it. And if I could, show them why.
I'd be surprised if some one playing less than a year (like the OP) understands the rule about releasing the disc with a supporting point on the ground.

the jump...or a slight jump... has entered into some of my putts w/o me trying to do it... kinda like it but it isn't a big jump, just a little one to put some umph on my spin putt

I would never try to suggest to some one who's making their putts, while jumping after releasing the disc, to stop doing what they're doing. But I will always advise a new player not to do it. And if I could, show them why.
I'd be surprised if some one playing less than a year (like the OP) understands the rule about releasing the disc with a supporting point on the ground.
I'll agree that trying to force an actual jump isn't necessary. What you want to do is to maximize your weight shift while not worrying about falling forward. If that means jumping then that's fine, but many people, myself included, do worse if they force a jump. Many times just stepping through will give better results. Either way, learning to transfer your weight hard enough to force a falling putt without screwing anything else up is probably a good idea assuming you have solid putting technique to begin with.

the jump...or a slight jump... has entered into some of my putts w/o me trying to do it... kinda like it but it isn't a big jump, just a little one to put some umph on my spin putt

I'll agree that trying to force an actual jump isn't necessary. What you want to do is to maximize your weight shift while not worrying about falling forward. If that means jumping then that's fine, but many people, myself included, do worse if they force a jump. Many times just stepping through will give better results. Either way, learning to transfer your weight hard enough to force a falling putt without screwing anything else up is probably a good idea assuming you have solid putting technique to begin with.

Yes, yes.. if it comes naturally on long putts, use it. Don't conciously jump. That would be dumb.

I recently started to jump putt.
It helps me to relax and not strain on my putts outside of ~35ft.
I just use the extra push from my legs to make the arm motion smoother.
I don't have to heave when I jump putt.

I have used the step putt in the past, but did not find the consistency i was looking for.

I bet if they didn't putt that way they'd win more. Doesn't matter who does it, throwing a 175 gram disc accurately 100 ft does not require a lot of strength.

plus; plus, you could twist an ankle.

I sense a lot of arrogance and ignorance in your posts (in this thread). Different putting styles get more distance, like a push putter would not be able to get a 100ft putt without a jump putt, you probably spin putt and therefore are gliding the putter to the basket. There would be no need for jump putting. A pendulum putt or pop putt as feldberg calls it, requires body movement and use of the legs. As garub said, it's less about the jump, but the incorporation of the leg and body momentum that results in a jump follow through.

Watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtO3pwFesZ0&p=BD0A1D18FDC6F8D6&playnext=1&index=33