• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Banshee Replacement?....

chain-addicted

Banned
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Well, I lost my beloved beat-in Champion Banshee today. I dont know if it fell out of my bag or if I just simply forgot to pick it up from where it landed, after I putted:doh:! I backtracked through all the holes that I played and even asked several groups that had played these holes if they found a disc, and came to the conclusion that SOMEONE now has it in their bag even though my name and # is inked on it.....Oh well....Lesson learned.:wall:

What I am asking is what disc by ANY brand (Discraft, Gateway, Lat64, Discmania, DGA, Millennium, etc.) should I possibly consider instead of the Innova Banshee to replace it? I am open to any and all suggestions and if I get enough input on any one disc I might go ahead and get that one instead of ordering another Champ Banshee. I also prefer a "higher end" plastic for said replacement. Help a brotha out!!!

Thank you in advance.

(I wish someone would tell/show me how to create a poll for this thread)

FL maybe? It's been so long since I've thrown a banshee. Personally I would buy two new banshees, a dx or pro if it's made, and a champion. Use the dx or pro while the champ beats in. As the champ banshee starts to beat in, buy a new one and start beating it in. Don't fix what ain't broken.

just stick with what you know. dont mess with the FL it doesnt stay stable anywhere near as long as a banshee will.

I am so tempted to just by another Banshee but I am open to other suggestions by folks who have thrown a Banshee but find that a ____________ flies very similar to it. I thought about trying to locate a Star Whippet-X somewhere on line but cant find any. I also thought about a Z-Predator.

Last edited:
whippet is slower and definitely overstable. moreso a utility disc at this point for most people unless you got a cannon. predator is faster and more LSS.

maybe a gateway blaze? its faster than a whippet and has more glide, slower than the Pred.

(I wish someone would tell/show me how to create a poll for this thread)

Polls are an option at the bottom of the "new thread" page. I don't know if you can add one now.

Every thread should have a poll. Polls are cool.

Buy another Banshee. I've auditioned a bunch of overstable discs as possible replacements for the Banshee (my first truly overstable disc), but I've always gone back to the original. Nothing flies like it, or feels like it in the hand to be honest. A Predator is longer and just as stable, but doesn't feel as comfortable. An overstable disc that I am carrying now is a C-PD for longer holes that I need to either fight the wind, or have a hard fade on the end. I'll use this disc on holes that are outside the Banshee's reach, and it's a great compliment to the bag. My advice would be to purchase another Champ Banshee of your desired weight, and also pick up a C-PD. You may find that you like t he C-PD better overall and drop the Banshee completely. Or you may be like me, and keep them both....

I just went through an identical situation. Perfectly aged Banshee that had one ace under it's belt left behind to be picked up by some kid.
Before I lost mine, it flew on a straight line unlike a new Champ Banshee, so I believe I understand what you mean in terms of finding an immediate replacement.

Here's what I'm doing now, and it seems to be working very well. I bought a Champ Eagle (L Mold I believe) for my instant replacement and it's filling the spot just fine. I have to tone down on the power just a touch, but I also am getting better glide off the Eagle so it basically evens out.
At the same time I've got a brand new Champ Banshee that I've been using it as my over-hand disc to help age it quicker. I'm on my third Banshee and that's how I aged the previous two to hold a straight line.

I'd try a Champ banshee as a replacement. The only thing that is kinda similar is a Discraft Talon but it's OOP so why bother. Firebirds, XXXs, Predators are close but more overstable and faster. Tsunamis is similar but faster. Tridents are just strange. Haven't tried a Warrior, but still I'd stick with a banshee. It's a solid overstable driver.

I'd try a Champ banshee as a replacement. The only thing that is kinda similar is a Discraft Talon but it's OOP so why bother. Firebirds, XXXs, Predators are close but more overstable and faster. Tsunamis is similar but faster. Tridents are just strange. Haven't tried a Warrior, but still I'd stick with a banshee. It's a solid overstable driver.

I pretty much agree with this...Tsunamis LOVE snap and need speed, they're like jittery predators.

I really like the Talon and I might keep use mine to replace my banshee if I ever lose it...but to me the BEST disc to replace your banshee with is...

KC Pro Banshee

BAM!

\/\/

I always found Banshees to be shorter and more overstable than a Firebird or a Predator. In fact; to me they seem to be a true overstable thats similar to what a Flick does with speed, only the Banshee is quite a bit slower. Slower than the Firebird and Pred also.

If you really liked where the Banshee was, you probably should just get another Banshee and start beating it in, even if you do try another disc; because I think you will be just putting off what already is going to be a process.

try a dx viper for a immediate fill the void hole. its slower than a banshee so if you reef on it it goes dead-nuts straight, especially when you beat one in (this happens relatively quick with dx ones). I use mine exclusively for tight, low tunnel shots up to 350....park city utah (almost) every time.

I recently evolved from Banshee to Firebird and have not looked back. The firebird holds up better when you overpower it when flicking. It's also better into the very strong headwinds. Even though it's a 9 speed disc it still has that shorter fairway driver feel like a Banshee.

I used to throw the Banshee, and champ Banshee, and I have found the Discraft Crush to fly similar, but gives you more hook and skip at the end of the flight.